Error 500 - HUGE PROBLEM

FHYA

Mar 13, 2018, 6:28:47 AM3/13/18
to AtoM Users
Hi there

I am getting Error 500 messages every which way. Our server tech support guy said it seems to be an application functionality error.

Below are the errors I am encountering - please help, preferably in non-tech speak!:

Error 500s:

1. Digital objects are not being pulled in - a question mark is shown where the digital object should be - when you click onto the question mark (ie the place where the digital object should be) it returns an error 500 message. See below:

What is being shown:

When you click through on a digital object (on the question mark):

When you click through on a digital object (on the question mark) that is a PDF:

2.  In Archival Descriptions when I try and get rid of top level description (by clicking the ‘x’ as shown below) an Error 500 is presented:

3. When I tried to upload the top level metadata of an institution they didn’t nest properly (even though they did nest properly when I had uploaded them previously), but when I search for a series from these top levels they appear:

When I clicked on them about 10 minutes ago an Error 500 appeared, however when I clicked on it now it when into the institution and showed the nesting:

However, when I click onto the institutional logo (to take me back to the institution page) the top level disappear:

Similarly, I just reuploaded another insitution's material, and they are not nesting either, even though they nested previously and the job is listed as being fully complete:

But when I search for an item then it takes me into the institution and shows the proper nesting:

But when I click the institutional image to go back to the institutional page everything disappears again:

Furthermore, as you saw in the above screenshot, the digital objects seem to be pulling fine, but when you go to the Ethnobotanical Section they are not pulling into the carousel:

And then when you click that object from the carousel, the image isn’t being pulled:

And the following Error 500 appears when you click the question mark:

Random Errors:

  1. When you look at the Authority Records, it clearly states that is sorting alphabetically but Carolyn Hamilton’s authority record seems to be being bumped to the top:

Dan Gillean

Mar 13, 2018, 10:58:29 AM3/13/18
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Chloe,

Yup, looks like you have a few issues! You're going to need IT support to resolve these, as it will involve accessing the command-line and running some maintenance tasks. Feel free to pass along this message if you are not the person maintaining your AtoM installation.

Right now all we know is that you are getting a lot of 500 errors all over the place - but to be able to troubleshoot them, we'll need more information on the specific errors. It will also help for us to have more specific information about your installation. Please see the information requested in this section of our new Troubleshooting docs:
Any time you encounter a 500 error, one of the first things we are going to want to do is try to get a full error message from the web server logs. See the following links, and please share any relevant messages that you find in the web server logs:

First, the failure of the digital objects to display might suggest that there is a filesystem permissions issue. You can make sure that AtoM has the expected filesystem permissions with the following command, run from your root AtoM installation directory (if you have followed our recommended installation documentation, this is /usr/share/nginx/atom):
  • sudo chown -R www-data:www-data /usr/share/nginx/atom
I would also ask your system administrator to verify that all of the required dependencies have been properly installed for managing digital objects. See:
If you've done both of the above, let's try regenerating our digital object derivatives. When you upload a digital object (such as an image, PDF, etc), AtoM normally generates a reference display copy  (for use on the description view pages) and a thumbnail (for use in search and browse results). Sometimes when an upload is aborted, these can be corrupted, and you might need to try regenerating them from the original upload (aka the master digital object). You can do so with the following task:
Now, because there was some strange behavior in the treeview, let's ensure the hierarchical organization of our materials is being stored correctly. AtoM uses a MySQL database, which is essentially a series of interconected flat tables - meaning it's not great at storing hierarchical information. To do so in a relational database, we use what is called a Nested set model. Sometimes the nested set can become corrupted, leading to strange behavior in places where hierarchies are displayed in AtoM. You can rebuild the nested set with the following command-line task:
For good measure, we're also going to regenerate the slugs - make sure that there is not a common form of data corruption that has appeared in your descriptions due to an operation timing out. The slug is the unique part of the URL that leads to your resource (also sometimes called a permalink). Sometimes when an operation times out, a record can be saved in AtoM without a slug, which can affect related records, etc. The following task will generate any missing slugs for the main entities in AtoM:
Finally, we are going to clear the application cache, restart services, and re-index your site before re-testing to see if this has helped resolve some of the issues.

Clearing the cache:

Okay! With the above, we've pretty much attempted all the most common tasks to resolve issues in AtoM. I'm hoping that at least some of the errors you are encountering will be resolved - now we can re-test the behaviors, and if you still encounter errors, at least a) they should be more specific, and b) we've ruled out some of the more obvious potential causes.

Before you retest, I suggest that you clear your web browser's cache, to make sure you are seeing a fresh version of the page! If you don't know how to do that, a quick web search for instructions should show you how for your particular browser.

If you are still encountering errors, then your next steps will be:
Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

Chloe Rush

Mar 14, 2018, 8:46:19 AM3/14/18
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dan

Thanks so much for your quick response, as usual!

I will definitely send this on to someone with more tech know-how!

Best,
Chloe