Upgrading ATOM 2.6.0 to AOM 2.6.4 on Ubuntu 10.04.5 LTS

Tim Wise

Jul 24, 2022, 10:02:03 PM7/24/22
to AtoM Users
Apologies if this question has been asked before but I have rarely touched our ATOM
install since it was setup two years ago.

It the recommend way to upgrade the current installation to build a new server, install
ATOM 2.6.4 and migrate the database and upload directories?

ie. An in place upgrade is not practical?

If this is the case should we wait until version 2.7?

Thanks for your time.

Tim W

Jim Adamson

Jul 25, 2022, 6:23:34 AM7/25/22
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tim,

I would definitely opt for a new server, because Ubuntu 10.04 went out of support 7 years ago. I'm surprised AtoM 2.6 is running on it, seeing as 2.6 is the current stable release and has dependencies that wouldn't be available on Ubuntu 10.04 (at least not without modifications to the repositories available, for AtoM's package dependencies). Ubuntu 18.04 is the version of Ubuntu currently supported by AtoM 2.6.x, so if you're looking to upgrade now, choose 18.04. If you're willing to hold off until AtoM 2.7, then you'll want to choose 20.04 when the time comes.

Having said that, upgrading from 2.6.0 to 2.6.4 would be considered a minor release, so if you want to upgrade AtoM in-place, and everything is working fine in your current Ubuntu 10.04/AtoM 2.6.0 environment then go for it! Definitely make a backup first though.

Have a look at the following threads for help with this process:
https://groups.google.com/g/ica-atom-users/c/0pUhWnvP0dI/m/jTpYftaeCQAJ

Theoretically, it would also be possible to in-place upgrade the OS from 10.04 to 18.04, with do-release-upgrade. But honestly I would not bother as you would have to upgrade to each intermediate release to get to 18.04 (i.e. 12.04, 14.04, 16.04 & then finally 18.04). You'd be doing 4 upgrades, and in my experience you'd likely hit problems en route. Another reason to start afresh if you're looking to upgrade the OS, which for security reasons is highly recommended.

Thanks, Jim

Jim Adamson
Systems Administrator/Developer
Facilities Management Systems
IT Services
LFA/023 | Harry Fairhurst building | University of York | Heslington | York | YO10 5DD

Dan Gillean

Jul 26, 2022, 9:06:02 AM7/26/22
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Tim,

To add to Jim's excellent advice:

The AtoM upgrade instructions can be found here:
Jim has already provided a few links where this has been previously said, but: in general, upgrading in place is only recommended for minor release versions, when you have already previously installed via Option 2 in our instructions (install via code repository), so you can just do a git pull --rebase to get the latest.

We tend to include dependency changes and database schema changes in major release versions (e.g. 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, etc), so for those the recommended process is essentially to set up a new AtoM installation alongside the old one and then migrate the data.

There will be an AtoM 2.7 public release this year, though we do not yet have a firm release date. While we recommend Ubuntu 18.04 and PHP 7.2 for AtoM 2.6.x, the AtoM 2.7 release will use PHP 7.4 and Ubuntu 20.04 as its base dependencies.

I hope that helps you decide whether you'd like to wait a bit more for 2.7 or proceed with a 2.6.4 upgrade now!

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

Tim Wise - Admin

Jul 27, 2022, 7:18:04 PM7/27/22
to AtoM Users
Good morning all, thanks very much for the very helpful and prompt replies.
Very much appreciate the pointers to threads and upgrade instructions.
Think I will make a copy of the VM and do an in place upgrade and see how it goes and
save the full install for when 2.7 comes out later this year.

Will let you know how it pans out.

Tim

Tim Wise - Admin

Aug 1, 2022, 8:09:55 PM8/1/22
to AtoM Users
Good morning, after a little bit of work I realized I will have to go with a full rebuild to upgrade to 2.6.4.
I have only got as far as the MySQl install which from memory was very straight forward.

This time I have struck and issue when I attempt installation via these instructions

archives@atom-test:~$ sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-keys 8C718D3B5072E1F5
Executing: /tmp/apt-key-gpghome.wIFC1IwDL4/gpg.1.sh --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-keys 8C718D3B5072E1F5
gpg: keyserver receive failed: No name
archives@atom-test:~$ ^C

Would appear to be an issue with the key server.
Any ideas how to resolve this?

TW

Jim Adamson

Aug 2, 2022, 4:22:21 AM8/2/22
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tim,

How about following the official AtoM instructions for installing MySQL 8:

Alternatively, you can do the following:

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 467B942D3A79BD29
sudo echo "deb http://repo.mysql.com/apt/ubuntu/ bionic mysql-8.0" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mysql.list
sudo apt update
sudo apt install -y mysql-server

I hope that helps.

Thanks, Jim

Tim Wise

Aug 2, 2022, 7:14:54 PM8/2/22
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Jim, will give it a shot.

Just run into this who keyservers no  longer exist issue on Ubuntu 18.04 which I am trying to resolve.

Tim

Tim Wise
IT Support Officer Systems
IT Department

E: tw...@loreto.vic.edu.au
T: 5329 6199

Loreto College
1600 Sturt St, Ballarat, 3350
www.loreto.vic.edu.au

Loreto College acknowledge the traditional owners of our land, the Wadawurrung people of the Kulin Nation, whose ancient wisdom and traditions continue to nurture these lands and waterways.

Tim Wise
IT Support Officer Systems
IT Department

E: tw...@loreto.vic.edu.au
T: 5329 6199

This email message (and attachments) may contain information that is confidential to Loreto College Ballarat. If you are not the intended recipient you cannot use, distribute, or copy the message or attachments. In such a case, please notify the sender by return email immediately and erase all copies of the message and attachments. Opinions, conclusions, and other information in this message and attachments, that do not relate to the official business of Loreto College Ballarat, are neither given nor endorsed by Loreto College Ballarat.

Tim Wise

Aug 3, 2022, 12:50:30 AM8/3/22
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com

Hello Jim, turned out to be the firewall blocking the getting the new keys.

Once that was resolved it was very simple to get MySQL 8.0 installed.

Starting to make some progress now.