Typeahead search not working

li...@orangeleaf.com

Oct 23, 2019, 11:19:19 AM10/23/19
to AtoM Users
New to AtoM so apologies if this is a stupid question..

When doing a search in AtoM 2.2.2 I get the typeahead suggestions appearing but nothing happens when I click on one.  This happens in both Firefox and Edge browsers. What am i doing wrong?

Dan Gillean

Oct 23, 2019, 12:18:23 PM10/23/19
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Linda,

I don't think you're doing anything wrong - this has been a bit of a ghost bug that has plagued AtoM on and off for years - every time we get new reports, our developers are unable to reproduce - though i've seen it crop up from time to time since the related issue was closed and still think it is an issue. See this ticket for some further context:
We did make a few improvements after 2.2, but as I said, I'm not convinced this is fully resolved. However, in 2.3 we also added keyboard navigation support in the global search box, which at least makes it easier to select results via the keyboard. If upgrading is an option, I suggest you do so soon, for many of the other minor bug fixes and improvements we've made to search, and to AtoM in general, since the 2.2.2 release.

Also, as noted on the ticket, make sure you are clicking the matching title text - not on the icon, or between the words. This seems to help somewhat. I've also found that the first attempt won't work, but repeating the attempt often works.

In the meantime, I am going to re-open issue #8096. Hopefully we can finally track down the behavior's cause and address it in a future release. If Orangeleaf manages to find and fix the issue, we would welcome a pull request!

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

On Wed, Oct 23, 2019 at 11:19 AM <li...@orangeleaf.com> wrote:
New to AtoM so apologies if this is a stupid question..

When doing a search in AtoM 2.2.2 I get the typeahead suggestions appearing but nothing happens when I click on one.  This happens in both Firefox and Edge browsers. What am i doing wrong?

li...@orangeleaf.com

Oct 23, 2019, 12:18:55 PM10/23/19
to AtoM Users
Typed in wrong version of AtoM, we are using v2.5.2

Linda Ellis

Oct 23, 2019, 12:43:31 PM10/23/19
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dan

We're actually using 2.5.2, I typed it in wrong.

It doesn't matter where I click it just won't work. I've tried Firefox, Edge and Chrome browsers.  Its so irritating!

Linda

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "AtoM Users" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ica-atom-users/CAC1FhZLm8XpgJ8R7EOBTnmA2_axL44G4HQrsE5zmNusJqgHhdw%40mail.gmail.com.

Dan Gillean

Oct 23, 2019, 12:48:55 PM10/23/19
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Linda,

Thanks for the update - I've re-opened the ticket, and added a note about your report to it. I agree, it is frustrating!

We'll add it to the list of issues we hope to address for an upcoming release, but with our development and maintenance model (more details on this wiki page), the best way to guarantee the inclusion of a fix in an upcoming release is via community support - either via community submitted code (such as a pull request), or via sponsorship so that Artefactual can prioritize the issue and make sure a fix is included in the next release. If you are interested in the latter, feel free to contact me off-list. If you are interested in the former, be sure to check out the development resources on our wiki!

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

Nathanael

Oct 24, 2019, 5:21:23 AM10/24/19
to AtoM Users
I think this happens when the cursor is situated exactly between the title of the search result and the level of description, e.g. between the words 'Hopton' and 'Item' in this image:

hopton.png