archives Canada Theme Modification

Stephen Innerarity

Dec 9, 2016, 1:59:29 PM12/9/16
to AtoM Users
Hey guys Im running the Archives Canada theme on 2.3. i like the theme an would like to make some minor mods to it like change the logo, the icons and the top nav links mi problem is i cant find the home page of the archives canada home page. can you guys point me in the right direction

Dan Gillean

Dec 12, 2016, 12:20:15 PM12/12/16
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Stephen,

This thread might help you get started: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/ica-atom-users/Bue_XZYP-OQ/2CsI9wkg2rYJ

Note especially this paragraph:

Our themed plugins, like the ArchivesCanada one, are designed to extend the base theme of Dominion. So some of the arArchivesCanadaPlugin files merely extend or alter the CSS of the Dominion theme - namely, those listed as "customizations" in the arArchivesCanada main.less file (listed here or found here). For those elements not listed in those CSS files, you will have to add a new CSS file or alter the Dominion theme files directly. The main.less file inside the less folder found in the arArchivesCanadaPlugin directory (here) should also be instructive - this file changes the basic CSS in Dominion into the purple background, and different base stylings, of the ArchivesCanada theme.

Note that the links to our github repo in the above quote may not work now, as we have changed the branch name (from qa to stable, as these links now point to the 2.2 release) - if you want to see them, change the part of the URL that says qa/2.2.x to qa/2.4.x.

Essentially, the above passage means that in some cases there are files in the ArchivesCanada theme that simply extend or modify the base homepage theme found in the arDominionPlugin. However, I think you will want to look at this page in the AC plugin:

Finally, you can check out some of the customization and theming documentation we have, here:

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 1:59 PM, Stephen Innerarity <sinne...@jard.gov.jm> wrote:
Hey guys Im running the Archives Canada theme on 2.3. i like the theme an would like to make some minor mods to it like change the logo, the icons and the top nav links mi problem is i cant find the home page of the archives canada home page. can you guys point me in the right direction

Notice of Confidentiality:

The information contained in this communication is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and others authorized to receive it.  It may contain confidential or legally privileged information.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking any action in reliance on the content of this communication is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by responding to this e-mail and then delete it from your system.  Thank you for your kind cooperation.

Stephen Innerarity

Dec 13, 2016, 2:30:40 PM12/13/16
to AtoM Users
Hey Dan Thanks for responding so quickly. So Ive been mulling over the notes you sent and have started to do some modding. please bear in mind I'm a PHP / HTML Rookie.

So I found the "_header.php"  and started to to make some changes

 <ul id="header-nav" class="nav nav-pills">

             <li><?php echo link_to(__('Home'), 'http://jard.gov.jm') ?></li>

             <li><?php echo link_to(__('Contact us'), 'http://www.jard.gov.jm/contact') ?></li>

            <?php foreach (array('en', 'fr') as $item): ?>
              <?php if ($sf_user->getCulture() != $item): ?>
                <li><?php echo link_to(format_language($item, $item), array('sf_culture' => $item) + $sf_data->getRaw('sf_request')->getParameterHolder()->getAll()) ?></li>
                <?php break; ?>
              <?php endif; ?>
            <?php endforeach; ?>

            <?php if (!$sf_user->isAuthenticated()): ?>
              <li><?php echo link_to(__('Log in'), array('module' => 'user', 'action' => 'login')) ?></li>
            <?php endif; ?>

I took out the if statements as we don't speak french in Jamaica

Then I found the homeSuccess.php file and the CSS files all i want to do is change the colors the logos and the links . Am i on the right track here.

On Monday, December 12, 2016 at 12:20:15 PM UTC-5, Dan Gillean wrote:
[...]

Dan Gillean

Dec 13, 2016, 2:45:34 PM12/13/16
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Stephen,

I'm probably more of a n00b than you when it comes to coding, but it seems right to me! Keep in mind with the link change I see, clicking Home in AtoM will now take you to the institutional page for JARD, not your AtoM home page - is that what you want?

I don't know a more efficient way of doing it, but I find using your browser's Inspect tools a helpful way to figure out the class or id of elements and where the related CSS is coming from. Good luck!

Let us know how it goes - and if and when your site is live, do send us a link for our Users page!

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

Stephen Innerarity

Dec 13, 2016, 2:51:47 PM12/13/16
to AtoM Users
Hey Dan Just experimenting for now with the links. I have an issue though i uploaded the modified files but nothing seems to be changing is there something i need to do to make them work

Dan Gillean

Dec 13, 2016, 3:38:24 PM12/13/16
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Stephen,

Sorry, the things you need to do after making changes were listed in some of the other threads I linked you to. Any time you make changes to the files, you'll need to recompile the CSS, and you might want to restart php5-fpm, clear the application cache, and also clear your browser cache as well. If you're using our recommended installation for Ubuntu 14.04, you can do these steps with the following commands from AtoM's root directory:
  • make -C plugins/arDominionPlugin
  • php symfony cc
  • sudo service php5-fpm restart

Don't forget to clear your browser cache as well. Let us know if that helps!

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

Stephen Innerarity

Dec 13, 2016, 4:51:00 PM12/13/16
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hey Dan i ran the make command and got the following error see lines below

root@atom:/usr/share/nginx/atom# make -C plugins/arDominionPlugin
make: Entering directory `/usr/share/nginx/atom/plugins/arDominionPlugin'
Running LESS compiler...
lessc --compress --relative-urls css/main.less > css/main.css
/bin/sh: 1: lessc: not found
make: *** [less] Error 127
make: Leaving directory `/usr/share/nginx/atom/plugins/arDominionPlugin'
root@atom:/usr/share/nginx/atom#

Best Regards,

---

Stephen Innerarity / Automated Systems Manager
(876)276-9326/ sinne...@jard.gov.jm

Jamaica Archives & Records Department Office: (876)922-3705-6 Ext 31 / Fax: (876)948-0260
59-63 Church Street Kingston, Jamaica W.I.
http://www.jard.gov.jm

Stephen Innerarity

Dan Gillean

Dec 13, 2016, 5:14:23 PM12/13/16
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hmmm, strange. Just to double-check - did you install following our recommended installation instructions (e.g. Ubuntu, MySQL, Nginx, Elasticsearch, PHP, etc) or have you made any changes?

Can you try running the following to see if you have less installed?
  • lessc --version

Hopefully it should return a version for you. If not, you might need to install it. Try:

  • sudo apt-get install npm
  • sudo npm install -g less

If less is already installed, then I'm not sure - I'll have to check w our developers and see if they have further ideas.

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

On Tue, Dec 13, 2016 at 4:50 PM, Stephen Innerarity <sinne...@jard.gov.jm> wrote:
[...]

Dan Gillean

Dec 13, 2016, 5:25:20 PM12/13/16
to ICA-AtoM Users
CORRECTION!

If you don't have less installed, you'll need to run the following commands - ignore the other ones! Apparently later versions of LESS will not work. Here's some instructions from our documentation - sorry about that.
  • curl -sL https://deb.nodesource.com/setup_5.x | sudo -E bash -
  • sudo apt install nodejs make
  • sudo npm install -g "less@<2.0.0"
  • sudo make -C /usr/share/nginx/atom/plugins/arDominionPlugin
Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

Stephen Innerarity

Dec 15, 2016, 4:25:32 PM12/15/16
to AtoM Users
Hey Dan is this safe

                              DEPRECATION WARNING

  Node.js v5.x is no longer actively supported!

  You will not receive security or critical stability updates for this version.

  You should migrate to a supported version of Node.js as soon as possible.
  Use the installation script that corresponds to the version of Node.js you
  wish to install. e.g.

   * https://deb.nodesource.com/setup_4.x — Node.js v4 LTS "Argon" (recommended)
   * https://deb.nodesource.com/setup_6.x — Node.js v6 Current

  Please see https://github.com/nodejs/LTS/ for details about which version
  may be appropriate for you.

  The NodeSource Node.js Linux distributions GitHub repository contains
  information about which versions of Node.js and which Linux distributions
  are supported and how to use the install scripts.

Notice of Confidentiality:

The information contained in this communication is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and others authorized to receive it.  It may contain confidential or legally privileged information.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking any action in reliance on the content of this communication is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by responding to this e-mail and then delete it from your system.  Thank you for your kind cooperation.

Dan Gillean

Dec 15, 2016, 4:44:10 PM12/15/16
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Stephen,

We're only using Node to install the correct version of LESS. I think it will be okay, but I will pass this on to our team for review - I have no idea if v6 would give us the same need without a need for changes.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

Jesús García Crespo

Dec 15, 2016, 8:50:15 PM12/15/16
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com

Jesús García Crespo,
Software Engineer, Artefactual Systems Inc.
http://www.artefactual.com | +1.604.527.2056

Stephen Innerarity

Dec 16, 2016, 10:56:44 AM12/16/16
to AtoM Users
Hey Dan, I did the compile and nothing changed...  Im at a loss not sure whats going on the only thing that changed was the Logo.

Dan Gillean

Dec 16, 2016, 11:53:23 AM12/16/16
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hmm.... Let's check the basics first - did you also do the application cache clear, restart nginx, and also clear your browser cache, Stephen?

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

Stephen Innerarity

Dec 16, 2016, 1:53:33 PM12/16/16
to AtoM Users
Aha i forgot a step or two i did clear the browser cache but i didnt clear the application cache and restart nginx

Stephen Innerarity

Dec 16, 2016, 2:34:49 PM12/16/16
to AtoM Users
So I did the cache clear and restarted it worked, Still Tweaking it have a Look http://archives.jard.gov.jm/

Dan Gillean

Dec 16, 2016, 2:41:56 PM12/16/16
to ICA-AtoM Users
Great, glad to hear it's working, Stephen! Let me know if you'd like us to add your site to our example Users list on the wiki!

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.