linking accession records to an archival institution

Elizabeth Thomson

Nov 7, 2017, 11:14:25 AM11/7/17
to AtoM Users
Hello,

We are using AtoM (2.3.1) with multiple archival institutions and are currently working on importing accessions information from one of our institutions.
I've taken a look at the CSV template for accessions and I don't see a 'repository' field option. Is it possible to link an accession record to an institutional repository?
Many thanks

Dan Gillean

Nov 7, 2017, 12:34:45 PM11/7/17
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Elizabeth,

I've previously answered a very similar question here: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/ica-atom-users/Ws44JI6l1MM/V8EtY7KzBwAJ

From the response:

AtoM's multi-institution functionality was added after its initial development, and was originally intended to support multi-institutional access rather than management - the use case was primarily a single administrator supporting a portal site or union catalogue and managing contributions from other contributors with their own access systems. The way that people want to use AtoM has changed significantly since then, but the development required has not fully kept apace - so currently there's no entity link between an institution and an accession, or the ability to maintain separate per-institution accessions modules.
It would be possible to introduce in the future, but it would require significant development to change the underlying data model and user interface.

Unfortunately at this time, no one has sponsored further development to make more of AtoM's entities truly multi-repository. For now, sharing a site also means sharing terms, physical storage, accessions, and the like.

In 2.4, we did introduce a way to link an authority record directly to a repository as its maintainer - see:
However, no further enhancements to support multi-repository management have been added at this time.

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.