How to remove Security IP restrictions

Maximilian

May 13, 2020, 11:29:27 PM5/13/20
to AtoM Users
Our organization is using the hosting service and would like to apply IP restriction that only within internal network can login to the AtoM.
What happen if our network is down due to disaster where we need to work outside the network, how can we remove the pre-defined IP restriction from outside?

Dan Gillean

May 14, 2020, 11:00:08 AM5/14/20
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Maximilian,

We can do this with SQL!

I have recently completed a new section of the documentation for 2.6 that includes some common AtoM MySQL queries - it's not yet on the public website but you can see the raw version in our documentation repository. We're going to need to access the MySQL command prompt to do so - I've covered this in the following section:
In general, we always recommend making a database backup before using SQL to make changes to your data! See:
 In terms of disabling the IP range setting: there's a very similar query listed in this new documentation page, that we can adapt for your needs:
Like the example shown there for the require_ssl_admin setting, we'll start by fetching the ID of the setting. In this case, we'll want to search for admin_ip to find the right setting value:
  • SELECT name,id FROM setting WHERE name LIKE '%admin_ip%';
In my instance, this returns an ID of 54:

+----------------+----+
| name           | id |
+----------------+----+
| limit_admin_ip | 54 |
+----------------+----+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

Now we can check the current setting value, by using this ID:
  • SELECT * FROM setting_i18n WHERE id=54;
+---------+----+---------+
| value   | id | culture |
+---------+----+---------+
| 1.1.1.1 | 54 | en      |
+---------+----+---------+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

In my instance, the IP setting is currently limited to 1.1.1.1 - and because of this, I can't login. To turn the setting off, let's update this to 0:
  • UPDATE setting_i18n SET value=0 WHERE id=54 AND culture='en';
You can run the previous query again to ensure the setting update has been applied properly. If it looks good, you can now enter exit to leave the MySQL command prompt.

The last thing we'll need to do is restart PHP-FPM (and memcached if you are using it), and clear the application cache. See:
Let us know how it goes!

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 11:29 PM Maximilian <rm.p...@gmail.com> wrote:
Our organization is using the hosting service and would like to apply IP restriction that only within internal network can login to the AtoM.
What happen if our network is down due to disaster where we need to work outside the network, how can we remove the pre-defined IP restriction from outside?

maxle...@gmail.com

May 20, 2020, 3:09:43 AM5/20/20
to AtoM Users
Hi, Dan

Thanks for your advise.
Would it work if we are using the AtoM hosting service provided by artefactual?

Regards
Max
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com.

Dan Gillean

May 20, 2020, 10:36:27 AM5/20/20
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Max,

Only our Premium+ plan includes access to the command-line interface (since you are on your own private dedicated server with that plan, rather than a shared hosting environment). However, if you are an Artefactual hosted client, you can simply send an email to our support address, and we'll be happy to assist you if you are locked out of your site!

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.