Level of Description Question

ritactc...@gmail.com

Dec 11, 2018, 1:02:04 PM12/11/18
to AtoM Users
For example, when I create a new Archival descriptions and put some Level of Description like "Series" but the higher level is "Fonds".
So, I want to BOCK a SERIE create a Fond.

It´s possible?

THANKS!!

Dan Gillean

Dec 11, 2018, 1:40:46 PM12/11/18
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Rita,

Unfortunately, this is not currently possible.

AtoM is purposefully designed to be very flexible and permissive, to allow for infinite customization and different uses depending on local conventions. I have seen users create collections that include fonds-level descriptions below them; I've seen users use repository records as collection-level records; Australians use the series as their top-level; and we have to account for users creating new custom level such as sub-sub-sub-fonds. Because we can't predict how users might want to implement AtoM based on their local conventions or how they might customize the levels of description, we don't organize the levels of description in any hierarchical manner that would restrict users from adding lower levels however they choose.

Instead, I recommend developing internal documentation on arrangement and description best practices, and making sure your staff review these before working in AtoM.

It might be possible to develop something like this, where you first organize the terms hierarchically in the taxonomy, and then that is enforced during records creation. However, this would require significant analysis and development to implement, to ensure it would remain performant over time, and to make sure users can disable the feature as needed.

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

ritactc...@gmail.com

Dec 12, 2018, 8:47:08 AM12/12/18
to AtoM Users
Okay, so I need to see another alternative.
Thanks Dan!