Sitemap generation incomplete | AtoM 2.4.1

cultura...@gmail.com

Mar 13, 2019, 3:19:41 PM3/13/19
to AtoM Users
Hi mates, today I have created a sitemap from command line and trying to validate the XMLI have realized that the document is generated correctly but is incomplete, so the validation fails and is not able to send it for example to Search Console.

Is possible to fix that manually editing the file and closing the tags, just be sure that the last node is complete as follow:

<url>

<loc>your domain/slug</loc>

<lastmod>2019-02-12</lastmod>

<changefreq>monthly</changefreq>
</url>
</urlset>

I face this issue with over 20.000 published records,

But I was thinking that many records can be out of the sitemap.

Here is the log related with sitemap:

2019/03/13 17:35:12 [error] 5812#5812: *1251 FastCGI sent in stderr: "PHP message: Empty module and/or action after parsing the URL "/sitemap.1.xml" (/)" while reading response header from upstream, client: IP, server: domain.com, request: "GET /manager/html HTTP/1.1", upstream: "fastcgi://unix:/run/php7.0-fpm.atom.sock:", host: "host IP"

Best regards,

Samuel Fernández
Cultural Hosting | Web Services for Cultural Heritage Organizations

-----

Corinne Rogers

Mar 14, 2019, 5:17:30 PM3/14/19
to AtoM Users
Hi Samuel,

Thanks for pointing this out. I had the same result when I tested validating a sitemap generated from the command line: the final closing tag </urlset> is missing. I have filed a bug ticket here:
regards,
Corinne

Corinne Rogers, PhD
Systems Archivist
Artefactual Systems

goober...@gmail.com

Mar 26, 2019, 9:00:41 PM3/26/19
to AtoM Users
Hi Corinne,

I am currently hitting this issue and another. For me, sitemap generation on the cli is generating two files; sitemap.xml and sitemap.1.xml. The former is completely empty, while the other contains the xml data - along with the issue expressed above.
Just curious if this is a known issue too.

Thanks!

Rohan

Karl Goetz

Mar 27, 2019, 6:11:57 PM3/27/19
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rohan,
Two files is to be expected, the documentation for sitemap gives options to disable the gzip version if you would prefer.

The incompleteness is, as you observed, a known issue.
Karl.

Karl Goetz
Mon, Tue, Wed, Technical Services Officer - eResearch
Wed, Thu, Fri Senior Library Officer (Library Systems)
University of Tasmania, Private Bag 25, Hobart 7001

goober...@gmail.com

Mar 27, 2019, 8:33:53 PM3/27/19
to AtoM Users
Hi Karl,

Thanks for the response. This is the thing; I was running with gzip disabled and I still get two files. sitemap.xml is completely blank, while sitemap.1.xml has the expected data.

If gzip is enabled I get sitemap.xml completely empty, as before, and sitemap.1.xml.gz, which has the expected data. I don't know why I keep getting the .1 files and why they are the only ones which ever have any data in them.

Cheers,
Rohan

On Thursday, 28 March 2019 08:11:57 UTC+10, Karl Goetz wrote:
Hi Rohan,
Two files is to be expected, the documentation for sitemap gives options to disable the gzip version if you would prefer.

The incompleteness is, as you observed, a known issue.
Karl.

Karl Goetz
Mon, Tue, Wed, Technical Services Officer - eResearch
Wed, Thu, Fri Senior Library Officer (Library Systems)
University of Tasmania, Private Bag 25, Hobart 7001

Corinne Rogers

Apr 1, 2019, 11:52:51 AM4/1/19
to AtoM Users
Hi Rohan,

The generation of two files is normal and expected regardless of your choice of gzip option. The sitemap.xml file (empty in your case) is a pointer file. It will have content in situations where multiple sitemaps are produced (e.g. if there are more than 50,000 nodes, the task will automatically break this up into 2 or more XML files, as per Google’s recommendations). When only one sitemap is created, this file will be empty, and you can delete it.

best regards,
Corinne