Weird Install glitch (HTTP 500 Error & PHP Fatal error in apache2 error.log)

Joel R Smith

Feb 10, 2020, 9:21:42 PM2/10/20
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Environment: Debian 10.3, PHP 7.2, Apache2, MariaDB 10.3.22

I noticed a very weird error when trying to do a clean install of the latest ATOM today. I was immediately getting an HTTP 500 error, and the apache2 error.log showed:

[Mon Feb 10 15:10:42.071855 2020] [php7:error] [pid 23741] [client 192.168.1.99:54792] PHP Fatal error:  Allowed memory size of 2097152 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 65536 bytes) in /var/www/html/cache/qubit/prod/config/config_core_compile.yml.php on line 3724

Now I was already familiar with the usual increasing the memory limit in php.ini, but this time it didn't work! Tried lots of values, but would always fail with the same previously mentioned PHP fatal error. Eventually I tried the unlimited memory setting (memory_limit = -1MB) and the error went away. It is apparently not best practices though.

Also, after completing the install, if I set  memory_limit to any value besides -1, the error comes right back.

Edit: setting memory_limit=-1 didn't fix everything. When running php symfony, I still got the same PHP fatal error so I edited the symfony file as follows: ini_set('memory_limit', '1024M'); // or you could use 1G

Dan Gillean

Feb 12, 2020, 12:09:17 PM2/12/20
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Joel,

Without accessing your server (something we can't offer for free support via the user forum), it's very difficult to say what's going on here. You are also using an installation configuration that we don't test (Debian, Apache, MariaDB), so it's possible that there are additional complicating factors at play here.

I'm not a developer but it sounds a bit like a memory leak - I wonder if you can use tools like htop and ps to help diagnose what is consuming all of the memory?

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

On Mon, Feb 10, 2020 at 9:21 PM Joel R Smith <joelr...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Dan Gillean

Feb 13, 2020, 1:35:55 PM2/13/20
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi again Joel,

It's been pointed out to me that the error you are receiving says that the available memory is only 2MB.... (Allowed memory size of 2097152 bytes exhausted).

How much RAM does your installation have? Is it installed on a server with a lot of other applications? Have you checked the webserver configuration file for other parameters that might be limiting memory? When you follow our recommended installation instructions for example, we set up a PHP pool that also sets some limits you may want to review and adjust as needed - see:
Did you do something similar when installing AtoM with Debian and Apache?

If you haven't already resolved this problem, I would start your investigations here. Note that in our requirements documentation, we recommend the following for a production-ready AtoM instance at minimum:
  • Processor: 2 vCPUs @ 2.3GHz
  • Memory: 7GB
  • Disk space (processing): 50GB at a minimum for AtoM’s core stack plus more storage would be required for supporting any substantial number of digital objects.
Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.