skos:note not being imported

Roger Rutishauser

Apr 9, 2020, 12:10:56 PM4/9/20
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I am doing some tests with SKOS imports for places. I found out, that skos:note is not being imported.

<skos:ConceptScheme rdf:about="https://atom2004-test.docuteam.ch/index.php/places">
<dc:title xml:lang="de">Orte</dc:title>
<dc:title xml:lang="en">Places</dc:title>
<skos:hasTopConcept rdf:resource="https://atom2004-test.docuteam.ch/index.php/testquartier9"/>
</skos:ConceptScheme>
<skos:prefLabel xml:lang="de">testquartier 9 (skos prefLabel)</skos:prefLabel>
<skos:prefLabel xml:lang="en">testquartier 9 (skos prefLabel)</skos:prefLabel>
<skos:altLabel xml:lang="de">skos altLabel</skos:altLabel>
<skos:altLabel xml:lang="en">skos altLabel</skos:altLabel>
<skos:note xml:lang="de">skos note</skos:note>
<skos:note xml:lang="en">skos note</skos:note>
<skos:scopeNote xml:lang="de">skos scopeNote</skos:scopeNote>
<skos:scopeNote xml:lang="en">skos scopeNote</skos:scopeNote>
</skos:Concept>
</rdf:RDF>

After the Import:

display_notes.PNG

[EDITED]

*wrong* As you can see: [Display note(s)] is empty
*correct* As you can see: [Source note(s)] is empty, except for the automatically added URI

[/EDITED]

After that, I tried the other way round.

I manually created a place, and exported it to SKOS.

display_notes_man.PNG

and the exported SKOS now has a skos:note value [EDIT] which is the field "Source note(s)"[/EDIT].

<skos:ConceptScheme rdf:about="https://atom2004-test.docuteam.ch/index.php/places">
<dc:title xml:lang="de">Orte</dc:title>
<dc:title xml:lang="en">Places</dc:title>
</skos:ConceptScheme>
<skos:prefLabel xml:lang="en">testquartier manually created</skos:prefLabel>
<skos:altLabel xml:lang="en">use_for</skos:altLabel>
<skos:scopeNote xml:lang="en">scope notes</skos:scopeNote>
<skos:note xml:lang="en">source notes</skos:note>
</skos:Concept>
</rdf:RDF>

Am I doing something wrong or is it a bug?

Kind regards, Roger

Dan Gillean

Apr 9, 2020, 2:28:54 PM4/9/20
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Roger,

As far as I can tell you're not doing anything wrong! It is a bug - but it's also a bit of a feature deficit, in terms of SKOS mapping options for our term fields, and available fields overall in the Terms module.

There is no such thing that I know of in the SKOS specification as a "source note." Consequently, we used the <skos:note> field to fix a bug where source notes were not exporting, here:
However, the related issue of supporting them on import has not yet been addressed. See:
We hope to address this bug in a future AtoM release.

There are of course a number of other SKOS elements that simply have no equivalent field in AtoM at the moment, and as such, will not import - such as <skos:historyNote>, <skos:editorialNote>, <skos:example>, <skos:changeNote>, and more.

The display note field is a custom field that is used in AtoM to help display the correct form of a term when it is used in event relations - For example, take the term "creation" in the Event types taxonomy. When we relate an authority record to a description (via an event in the data model), we want the label to say "Creator" next to the related actor's name - not  creation. We use the "display note" field to capture these alternative forms. See:
We haven't mapped this as an altLabel because in AtoM, those are used to capture "Use for" forms of a term, so currently, display note data does not import or export.

So, all this to say: our terms module could use further development to better support more fields from SKOS, and a review of the current mappings. In the meantime, it is a bug that <skos:note> does not import - and though it is not a perfect match, we intend to map it to Source notes on import.

If you are well versed in the SKOS specification, I would love to hear alternative mappings we might consider for the available fields, to better support SKOS imports!

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 12:11 PM Roger Rutishauser <r.ruti...@docuteam.ch> wrote:
[...]

Roger Rutishauser

Apr 9, 2020, 4:46:24 PM4/9/20
to AtoM Users
Hi Dan

Thanks for your explanations.

As far as I can tell, the mapping makes sense so far. Luckily, in my case, I can handle the places taxonomy with SKOS without source notes. Scope notes will be enough for the project we're working on.

I created an overview:
Feel free to add comments if you (or other readers) want.

I think it would be useful to include something similar to this overview in the documentation https://www.accesstomemory.org/en/docs/2.5/user-manual/import-export/import-export-skos/#import-skos, so that readers are aware of the fields that can be imported/exported and what the equivalent in SKOS is.

Regards,
Roger
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com.

Dan Gillean

Apr 9, 2020, 6:13:07 PM4/9/20
to ICA-AtoM Users
Thanks for sharing, Roger!

I'll try to include some more detailed mapping information in the 2.6 documentation.

I was actually doing some SKOS import testing myself today, and one thing I did notice, which might complicate our current decision to use skos:note for the Source note field:

On import, AtoM does appear to populate the source note field with a URL found in the rdf:about attribute of a <skos:Concept>. For example, in this example:

<skos:Concept rdf:about="http://id.loc.gov/vocabulary/graphicMaterials/tgm005795">
 <skos:prefLabel xml:lang="en">Landscape photographs</skos:prefLabel>
 <skos:inScheme rdf:resource="http://id.loc.gov/vocabulary/graphicMaterials"/>
 <skos:broader rdf:resource="http://id.loc.gov/vocabulary/graphicMaterials/tgm007779"/>
</skos:Concept>

The URI highlighted in yellow ended up in the source notes field of my test imports. This is potentially useful for preserving the source of imported controlled terms, but on export, AtoM is using the rdf:about to capture the AtoM URI, and with the fix in issue #10854, the original URI ends up in a <skos:note> element, like so:

<skos:Concept rdf:about="http://10.10.10.10/landscape-photographs">
<skos:prefLabel xml:lang="en">Landscape photographs</skos:prefLabel>
<skos:inScheme rdf:resource="http://10.10.10.10/material-type"/>
<skos:note xml:lang="en">
</skos:Concept>

Again, not necessarily the worst outcome - but it would have implications if trying to roundtrip terms, so it merits some review. Just thought I'd let you know for now!

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ica-atom-users/14adb10b-e0fb-40bc-98d3-b515a2317a4e%40googlegroups.com.

Roger Rutishauser

Apr 9, 2020, 6:49:38 PM4/9/20
to AtoM Users
Thanks, Dan! Yeah I experienced the same behaviour. Funnily enough I just wrote another group post regarding the rdf:about/skos:Concept URI landing in the source notes. https://groups.google.com/d/msg/ica-atom-users/OiXtch_iQI4/mOeszE5_AAAJ (sorry for the not-meaningful post title, I can't seem to change it anymore)