Can't display exact korean filename

djahhn

Mar 27, 2014, 2:36:15 PM3/27/14
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
This is Daejin from Korea.

When I import digital objects, filename didn't show exactly.
We got many digital file with korean filename.
Please, give me a solution.

Regards.
Daejin

filename_korean_2014-03-28 오전 3.26.07.png

Dan Gillean

Mar 28, 2014, 5:24:59 PM3/28/14
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Daejin,

Interesting - it appears that the Korean characters are displaying fine in AtoM - just not in the file name.

My theory is that either this has to do with specific character-encoding issues in your local machine prior to upload, or that some library in the application is not using UTF-8 encoding. I will ask a developer to take a look and respond.

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Product Manager / Systems Analyst,
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

Jessica Bushey, AtoM Product Manager

Apr 2, 2014, 3:10:13 PM4/2/14
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Daejin,

I have tested with a korean filename in AtoM 2.0.1 and I get the same error, an underline.
I have created a bug report: https://projects.artefactual.com/issues/6545.
I am hoping that other users that are working in multi-byte character languages, like Thai and Japanese might respond to this post and let us know if they have created a solution or workaround.

Jessica

On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 11:36 AM, djahhn <dja...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,
This is Daejin from Korea.

When I import digital objects, filename didn't show exactly.
We got many digital file with korean filename.
Please, give me a solution.

Regards.
Daejin

Dan Gillean

Apr 3, 2014, 6:26:59 PM4/3/14
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Daejin,

This appears to be occurring because the filename is being sanitized on upload - you can see where in the code, here: https://github.com/artefactual/atom/blob/2.x/lib/model/QubitDigitalObject.php#L1427-L1430

Sanitizing is done to remove invalid characters that cannot appear in filenames or URLs - but I believe that in the past, when this was first implemented, multi-byte characters were not supported in file names at the time, and therefore were also stripped. This has changed now, I believe, so it could be fixed in AtoM if the bug were sponsored for development.

You could always try removing the lines of code sanitizing the filename, or editing the function itself.