High res images of IBM1130 in use

Patrick Fry

Jun 1, 2019, 9:29:56 AM6/1/19
to IBM1130
Hi everyone,

I am searching for high res images that I can source for a book about punch cards. Specifically I would love to find images of machines and cards in use. If anyone has any images or leads that would be brilliant.

Best,
Patrick

Carlos Abramo

Jun 1, 2019, 10:17:41 AM6/1/19
to ibm...@googlegroups.com, frypa...@gmail.com
Patrick,
In a reasonable resolution, this is all I have
Will appreciate if you share with me what you get.
Carlos
102692750p-03-02.jpg
102692750p-03-03.jpg
ibm1401-gallery-image-04.jpg
102692750p-03-01.jpg

Bob Flanders

Jun 1, 2019, 2:14:39 PM6/1/19
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Carlos,

Those are some nice pictures. Maybe you can contact the National Museum of Computing in the UK. They have a working 1130 and can probably provide (or maybe take) some stills of a 1442 with cards in the hopper?

Regards,
Bob

Bob Flanders

Jun 1, 2019, 2:15:15 PM6/1/19
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
Oops .. meant to include Patrick on that one too.

Bob

Al Kossow

Jun 1, 2019, 2:20:58 PM6/1/19
to ibm...@googlegroups.com

On 6/1/19 6:29 AM, Patrick Fry wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am searching for high res images that I can source for a book about punch cards.

If you are writing a book, the correct term is "punched cards"

as in the book "Punched Card Data Processing"

Al Kossow

Jun 1, 2019, 2:27:14 PM6/1/19
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
and if you don't believe me, look at the text of:
https://www.ibm.com/ibm/history/ibm100/us/en/icons/punchcard/

Patrick Fry

Jun 2, 2019, 3:06:03 AM6/2/19
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Al,

Duly noted, thank you. I will make sure we refer to them as punched cards from here on.

Best,
Patrick

07877 132 499

Patrick Fry

Jun 2, 2019, 3:06:54 AM6/2/19
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bob,

I’ll do just that! Thank you.

peter.vaughan

Jun 2, 2019, 3:27:03 AM6/2/19
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
See my website: http://www.ibm1130.co.uk

I'll see if I can add some more pics - I have a lot! but you can see videos of the card reader in action.

I would require any images used to be credited to me and The National Museum of Computing but other than that they are free to use (although a small donation to TNMOC would be appreciated)

Peter
TNMOC IBM 1130 restoration lead

Peter

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

chap...@verizon.net

Jun 2, 2019, 12:33:16 PM6/2/19
to ibm...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

You’re welcome…

I also remembered:

Card Needle

Card Saw

Card Punch Template

Card Filing Cabinets, with removable drawers to facilitate filing and moving between machines

Rolling Card Holders?

If I think of any more I will let you know…

Jun 2, 2019, 1:48:07 PM6/2/19
to ibm...@googlegroups.com

On 6/2/19 9:33 AM, chap.inc via IBM1130 wrote:

> If I think of any more I will let you know…

"chips" NOT "chad"

Peter Flass

Jun 3, 2019, 4:47:43 PM6/3/19
to IBM1130
What do you call them _before_ they’re punched? ;-)

Robert Lerche

Jun 3, 2019, 4:56:24 PM6/3/19
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
Blank cards.  Or just "cards."

[Yes, I too get irritated by references to "punch cards" but it's a losing battle and fighting it would just show my age.  :-) ]

On Mon, Jun 3, 2019 at 1:47 PM 'Peter Flass' via IBM1130 <ibm...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
What do you call them _before_ they’re punched? ;-)

Dave Wade

Jun 3, 2019, 4:57:33 PM6/3/19
to ibm...@googlegroups.com

Like the Wikipedia page I am sure we used "punch cards" or "punched cards" interchangeably.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card

Dave

Peter Flass

Jun 3, 2019, 6:38:14 PM6/3/19
to IBM1130
We also used to use “IBM card” or “Tab card”. I guess the last shows my age.

chap...@verizon.net

Jun 4, 2019, 9:20:10 AM6/4/19
to ibm...@googlegroups.com, Lynn Reid, Bill Easton, Carolyn Lacy, Joseph Zajac, Ron Picardi
I assume you will be covering all the IBM keypunches ( and attendant verifiers ) starting with the 010...
And the attendant Unit Record devices...
Also, assume you will cover IBM 1130 Column Binary and IBM 360 Column Binary, obviously Hollerith...
Don't know if you want to get into XEROX Column Binary...

Bob...

Jun 4, 2019, 9:55:42 AM6/4/19
to ibm...@googlegroups.com, Lynn Reid, Bill Easton, Carolyn Lacy, Joseph Zajac, Ron Picardi
I will be doing my best to cover as many of the machines and card types as possible.
It all depends on what images and scans I can get hold of!

Dave Wade

Jun 4, 2019, 11:14:04 AM6/4/19
to ibm...@googlegroups.com

I have a type 011 but its very rough. I will try and take some pictures

Dave

Paul Anagnostopoulos

Jun 4, 2019, 6:55:12 PM6/4/19
to IBM1130
Here is one.

~~ Paul

EMU+ICS+IBM+1130+-+Peter+Diehr+(1970).jpg

Patrick Fry

Jun 5, 2019, 5:02:34 AM6/5/19
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Paul. How would you like this credited/captioned?

On Tue, 4 Jun 2019 at 23:55, Paul Anagnostopoulos <pcanagno...@gmail.com> wrote:
Here is one.

~~ Paul

Lee Ivy

Jun 5, 2019, 2:40:08 PM6/5/19
to IBM1130
I would be interested in seeing your book when it is done! And I will look for some of the photos I took of the 1130 at a Vintage Computer Federation event a couple years ago.

Lee Ivy

Jun 5, 2019, 6:46:26 PM6/5/19
to IBM1130
Here are the photos I took on Aug 6, 2016 at the Vintage Computer Federation event in Mountain View CA. The VCF folks might have better ones. If you go to http://vcfed.org/wp/about/ and send them a request, they might have much better ones. Good luck!

2016-08-06 14.55.59.jpg
2016-08-06 14.55.44.jpg
2016-08-06 14.50.59.jpg
2016-08-06 14.48.49.jpg
2016-08-06 14.47.52.jpg
2016-08-06 14.47.19.jpg

John Pierce

Jun 6, 2019, 11:33:31 AM6/6/19
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
I have some good dslr pics of the innards of Carl's 1442 reader/punch from the West coast VCF meet a few years ago.   I'm camping in Utah now, I'll find them when I get home.

On Wed, Jun 5, 2019, 4:46 PM Lee Ivy <leei...@gmail.com> wrote:
Here are the photos I took on Aug 6, 2016 at the Vintage Computer Federation event in Mountain View CA. The VCF folks might have better ones. If you go to http://vcfed.org/wp/about/ and send them a request, they might have much better ones. Good luck!

Eddy Quicksall

Jun 8, 2019, 10:59:42 AM6/8/19
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
Interesting, I never knew the history of the punch card. When I registered at UofM they used punch cards. For each class they had a tray with one card for each seat. We pulled one card from the tray to get a seat (that took care of any race conditions) then we took our cards to another desk where they would read the deck into an IBM 1401.

I still have one for chemistry. I guess I cheated some kid out of a seat (but who would want to take chemistry anyway?)

Eddy

Jun 8, 2019, 2:57:36 PM6/8/19
to IBM1130

On Wednesday, June 5, 2019 at 5:02:34 AM UTC-4, Patrick Fry wrote:
Thank you Paul. How would you like this credited/captioned?

I have no idea where I got it. Are you concerned about using old photos without credit?

~~ Paul

Lee Ivy

Jun 8, 2019, 6:24:09 PM6/8/19
to IBM1130
My first memory of seeing a punched card was in about 1961 when my parents would drive on the New Jersey Turnpike. When we went thru a toll booth at the on-ramp, they gave us a card with mysterious holes punched in it. When we exited we gave them our card and they told us how much we owed. As a 6 year old kid I was fascinated by this. I found a page with an image of an old NJTP card and a few other early special purpose cards:

Dave Wade

Jun 8, 2019, 6:52:07 PM6/8/19
to ibm...@googlegroups.com

Short clip of my IBM 011 punch…..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogplYeEYzu8

its really old and tatty but it works…

Dave

Doug Wegscheid

Jun 8, 2019, 8:42:44 PM6/8/19
to IBM1130
that's cool.

On Saturday, June 8, 2019 at 6:52:07 PM UTC-4, Dave Wade wrote:

Short clip of my IBM 011 punch…..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogplYeEYzu8

its really old and tatty but it works…

Dave

Richard M Bender

Jun 8, 2019, 9:16:50 PM6/8/19
to ibm...@googlegroups.com

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

My contribution…….Dick

Clare Owens

Jun 9, 2019, 12:53:50 AM6/9/19
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
I have some color slides showing the IBM 1620 I was in charge of back in 1963, and a couple of other slides that show the double classroom that was the original home of the University of Buffalo Computing Center, which was originated in 1961.  I started there full time in May of 1962 and was their fourth employee.  UB became part of the SUNY system in 1962 or '63.  I'll look at them tomorrow and see which ones are worth scanning - assuming that my old slide scanner will still work...  Well, if not there's a place in town that will digitize 35mm slides.

Clare

Patrick Fry

Jun 9, 2019, 5:57:51 AM6/9/19
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
Thanks very much Clare. These slides sound perfect.

Patrick Fry

Jun 9, 2019, 6:00:07 AM6/9/19
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
Wonderful!
Do you think it would be possible to scan these at 600dpi?

Patrick Fry

Jun 9, 2019, 6:01:21 AM6/9/19
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Paul - no worries about using old photos, just wanted to add a credit where possible.
Thank you!

Richard M Bender

Jun 10, 2019, 5:07:36 PM6/10/19
to ibm...@googlegroups.com

Scanned at 600 dpi..

     Dick

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Jun 10, 2019, 5:36:59 PM6/10/19
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
ok, maybe they aren't all that great, they are handheld and the lighting was limited...

two similar views of the mechanisms of a 1442 card reader/punch machine, the standard record IO for the 1130 family.

--
-john r pierce
  recycling used bits in santa cruz

Patrick Fry

Jun 11, 2019, 4:52:56 AM6/11/19
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Richard,

Sorry but it seems google is compressing the file, it appears as a low res, 96dpi image when downloaded. Perhaps you could save directly to Google Drive? Or use WeTransfer?

Many thanks!

Patrick Fry

Jun 11, 2019, 4:53:50 AM6/11/19
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for finding these John! Very interesting to see the inner mechanisms.

John Pierce

Jun 11, 2019, 5:28:45 AM6/11/19
to ibm...@googlegroups.com

On Mon, 10 Jun 2019 at 22:37, John Pierce <jhn.p...@gmail.com> wrote:
ok, maybe they aren't all that great, they are handheld and the lighting was limited...

two similar views of the mechanisms of a 1442 card reader/punch machine, the standard record IO for the 1130 family.

to explain that card path....

the input card hopper is visible on the left, a new card gets pushed into the path, then on command, moves left to right in the picture.   first it goes through the optical reader,   the card punch is under the metal cover that has the instructions for unjamming (punch jams were very rare, this was a very reliable machine), then at the right after the punch. the card is ejected away from the picture into the output hopper selector, and one of the 2 hoppers.