New 1130 sighting in the wild

Bob Flanders

Oct 18, 2022, 2:47:13 PM10/18/22
to IBM1130

Al Kossow

Oct 18, 2022, 3:14:52 PM10/18/22
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
On 10/18/22 11:47 AM, Bob Flanders wrote:
> https://www.forbes.com/sites/shivaramrajgopal/2022/10/04/why-do-non-rd-companies-tell-us-next-to-nothing-about-technology-spending/?sh=5f6a1baf7078

weird... what does that Getty Images picture have to do with Home Depot?

Bob Flanders

Oct 18, 2022, 4:34:57 PM10/18/22
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
No clue. I was surprised as well...

Doug Wegscheid

Oct 18, 2022, 6:02:59 PM10/18/22
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
Don't know, don't care, but nice pic...

Gabriel Zapata

Oct 19, 2022, 10:08:12 AM10/19/22
to ibm...@googlegroups.com

Gabriel Zapata

Bob Flanders

Dec 2, 2022, 10:50:14 PM12/2/22
to IBM1130
1130s.jpg

Here's a bunch....

Gabriel Zapata

Dec 3, 2022, 10:35:18 AM12/3/22
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
TKS, Bob...

Gabriel Zapata

Bob Flanders

Dec 3, 2022, 10:08:33 PM12/3/22
to ibm...@googlegroups.com

Jeff Jonas

Dec 4, 2022, 2:20:02 AM12/4/22
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
A small IBM 1130 from the facebook group "At The Controls"

https://www.facebook.com/groups/779220482206901/posts/5343266589135578/

Nuclear physicist at Argonne National Laboratory
operating an IBM 1130 Computing System, introduced in 1965.

This ARCADE system is being used to control a diffraction experiment
designed to determine crystal lattice structures.

The 1130 was IBM's least expensive computer
and therefore popular in small labs,
the weird cryptic keyboard is because the array based scientific language APL\1130
is used for number crunching the crystallographic data.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APL_(programming_language)

Ummm, the kybd is a modified 029 keypunch keyboard,
complete with 12 bit card-code output
and mechanical permutation-bar instead of ROM.

-- jeff jonas

John Doty

Dec 4, 2022, 8:32:03 AM12/4/22
to IBM1130

On Dec 4, 2022, at 2:20 AM, Jeff Jonas <je...@panix.com> wrote:

 the weird cryptic keyboard is because the array based scientific language APL\1130
   is used for number crunching the crystallographic data.

Wow! APL\1130 was sooo sloooow, I can’t imagine crunching numbers with it. On a bigger machine, APL isn’t bad (I did light curve fits for my 1978 Ph.D. thesis using Multics APL) but core on the 1130 was just too small. APL\1130 therefore constantly thrashed the 1130’s slow disk.

John Doty              Noqsi Aerospace, Ltd.

j...@noqsi.com

dave....@gmail.com

Dec 4, 2022, 8:45:47 AM12/4/22
to ibm...@googlegroups.com

I tried to use APL under MTS on a 360/67 for my undergraduate project.

Very slow, and I often got killed for using too much Virtual Memory.

There is a modified version on APL/360 for VM/370 under Hercules.

Dave

John Doty

Dec 4, 2022, 9:05:59 AM12/4/22
to IBM1130

On Dec 4, 2022, at 8:45 AM, <dave....@gmail.com> <dave....@gmail.com> wrote:

I tried to use APL under MTS on a 360/67 for my undergraduate project.
Very slow, and I often got killed for using too much Virtual Memory.

Hmm. At MIT, APL\360 running on a VM under CP/67 worked ok. One thing I did with it was a toy word processor that, to my astonishment, was adopted by the campus Libertarian newspaper (they were a daft bunch).

There is a modified version on APL/360 for VM/370 under Hercules.

Dave

dave....@gmail.com

Dec 4, 2022, 9:14:50 AM12/4/22
to ibm...@googlegroups.com

I think MITs 360/67 was bigger than the one at Newcastle Upon and Tyne, and the Newcastle machine was shared between Newcastle University, Newcastle Poly & Durham University.

I also feel it would be more usable under VM…. Although CP/67 was a long time ago….

I also seem to think I was doing this as the 360 was being replaced by a 370 which had reliability problems.

I must try running it on one of my MicroVaxs, apparently its OK on those.

Paul Anagnostopoulos

Dec 4, 2022, 9:48:36 AM12/4/22
to IBM1130
We had APL running on Brown University's /67 under CP/CMS. I recall people saying it was better to wait until late in the evening to use it.

~~ Paul

Lee Ivy

Dec 5, 2022, 9:57:07 AM12/5/22
to IBM1130
APL was part of the first year software class at Rice in the mid 1970's. We had special "golf balls" for our IBM Selectric terminals that supported its weird character set. We were running on an IBM 370/155. You could write some amazingly complicated logic in a single line of APL, but of course it was next to impossible for others to understand.

Robert Lerche

Dec 5, 2022, 11:18:49 AM12/5/22
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
That photograph makes vivid that those machines were hand built. No robotic assembly, no VLSI. Every wire placed manually!

Same thing on System/360. Think of the model 91 console. As far as I know that thing was window dressing -- maybe CEs occasionally used those lights and switches, but for customers it just took up space. Of course they didn't make many of them.

Then there's core memory. No wonder computers were expensive.

John Pierce

Dec 5, 2022, 1:10:18 PM12/5/22
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Dec 5, 2022 at 6:57 AM Lee Ivy <leei...@gmail.com> wrote:
APL was part of the first year software class at Rice in the mid 1970's. We had special "golf balls" for our IBM Selectric terminals that supported its weird character set. We were running on an IBM 370/155. You could write some amazingly complicated logic in a single line of APL, but of course it was next to impossible for others to understand.

indeed, I remember implementing john Conway's "Life" cellular automata as a one liner on APL/1130.on the 1130 at my college, circa 1973 or 74.

Bob Flanders

Dec 5, 2022, 1:11:38 PM12/5/22
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
Hi John,

Where did you go to school?

Regards,
Bob

John Pierce

Dec 5, 2022, 1:29:22 PM12/5/22
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Dec 5, 2022 at 10:11 AM Bob Flanders <bob.fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi John,

Where did you go to school?

that was at the College of Marin, in Kentfield, Marin County, California.      just north of San Francisco...  Computer Science had an 1130, and Data Processing had a 370/135

Bob Flanders

Dec 11, 2022, 12:49:58 PM12/11/22
to IBM1130

https://youtu.be/ukyHECjKDoQ?t=542 -- not quite an 1130 ... but it's big sister. :D

and of course, a you have to take the little brother ... https://youtu.be/ukyHECjKDoQ?t=516

Bob

Peter Vaughan

Dec 11, 2022, 1:36:34 PM12/11/22
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
Actually Bob, did you miss the 1130 with 1442 card reader and 1132 printer just before your first link @08:24 :)

Peter

Peter Vaughan

Dec 11, 2022, 1:38:04 PM12/11/22
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
Ah, should have watched the 2nd link... Oops

Bob Flanders

Dec 11, 2022, 2:11:20 PM12/11/22
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Peter,

I did notice! The "little brother" link is to that part of the same video.

But I noticed them out of order. I scanned through the video and saw the 1800 .. then went back and saw the 1130..

That 1130's configuration was the same one we had in high school.

image.png
Whoa! a flashback! :D

Bob

Gabriel Zapata

Dec 12, 2022, 7:16:46 AM12/12/22
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
TKS, Bob...

Gabriel Zapata

dave....@gmail.com

Dec 20, 2022, 4:16:01 AM12/20/22
to ibm...@googlegroups.com

Oddly looking at old 370 videos on youtube I spotted an 1130 lurking…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLnvvOoWnzU

around 7:40….

Dave

Gabriel Zapata

Dec 20, 2022, 8:15:43 AM12/20/22
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
Tks, Dave...

Gabriel Zapata

Bob Flanders

Dec 20, 2022, 11:29:33 AM12/20/22
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
Very cool.

Did ya know that IBM used 1130's to do certain build activities on mainframes? We went to to the White Plains facility in 1980 or so where they were building 303x computers. There was an 1130 running (as I remember) a wire-wrap device so humans didn't have to. It was a pretty cool computer.

Thanks, Dave.

Bob

dave....@gmail.com

Dec 20, 2022, 3:38:50 PM12/20/22
to ibm...@googlegroups.com

Bob,

I am sure that nearly every factory floor shot from IBM after the 1130 was announced includes at least one 1130. IBM used them in the same way that everyone else used PDP8 and PDP11’s although I know NERC where I worked had an IBM 113 in a container that was taken to sea but I can only find a picture of the container…

https://twitter.com/edwardbcooper69/status/1507117762010882055

.. and of course that was replaced by several PDP11’s

Dave

kev...@gmail.com

Dec 20, 2022, 3:39:15 PM12/20/22
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
“Wire wrap” reminds me of when I was traveling from SJ to RTP every 2 weeks during BSC development of SCAT and BTAM and had to help engineer in SJ debug the communications adapter by wrapping wires from pin to pin. Can still remember his name, Art Athens.

Sent from my iPhone

Paul Tremblett

Dec 20, 2022, 7:08:48 PM12/20/22
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
I have been told that an 1130 was placed in the back of a deuce-and-a-half in Vietnam but I have never tried to verify that claim.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ibm1130/137501d914b3%240f046cb0%242d0d4610%24%40gmail.com.

Gabriel Zapata

Oct 28, 2023, 5:41:21 PM10/28/23
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
image.png

Gabriel Zapata

Bob Flanders

Oct 28, 2023, 9:47:07 PM10/28/23
to ibm...@googlegroups.com

Bob Flanders

Feb 6, 2024, 3:22:46 AMFeb 6
to IBM1130

Not quite the wild, but used https://stablediffusionweb.com/app/image-generator giving it a picture of the IBM 1130 (below) and the phrase "IBM 1130 running the world". Tis is what I got out.... Looks like an updated version of the system! :D

1130.jpg

br...@quarterbyte.com

Feb 6, 2024, 12:14:58 PMFeb 6
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
Interesting! I had tried to get Dall-E to give me something with an 1130 and didn't get a result. I guess there aren't that many images of them in their training sets -- you found the one!
I did get some good results, though, for the prompt "A hamster in a business suit programming a 1960's era mainframe computer". Here's one of them:
image.png

Bob Flanders

Feb 6, 2024, 12:25:18 PMFeb 6
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Brian ... long time no hear. That's a cool picture.

Actually, stablefusion has an option to feed it an image.

Bing gave me the same type of non-1130 pic when asked:

image.png

I just typed "ibm 1130".

Looks more like DEC's new Apple II. :D

Gabriel Zapata

Feb 7, 2024, 5:47:16 AMFeb 7
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
Hello Bob:

In effect, talking to DALL-E about the IBM 1130 is like asking him to represent something he doesn't know about. The result will be low in form and content. Imagine what it would be like to show the console with its famous dashboard of lights and registers...
DALL-E cannot modify or create images directly to fulfill a specific order, such as an IBM 1130.
In 2022. I had contact with a digital artist who gave me this image recreated by him of the remembered IBM 1130. His name is James Ball, and it appears in The National Museum of Computation.

Best regards

image.png