Another sighting...

Bob Flanders

Dec 20, 2019, 6:07:55 PM12/20/19
to IBM1130
HI all...

I was looking at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3bYvK7tnL4 .. and what did I see at 1:09?

I betcha all can guess.

Merry/Happy...

Bob

Eddy Quicksall

Dec 21, 2019, 1:58:02 PM12/21/19
to ibm...@googlegroups.com

Cool, that guy had a nice setup.

peter.vaughan

Dec 21, 2019, 2:16:38 PM12/21/19
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
Yes, it's this one:

And is the one pictured on Wikipedia:

Although the console pictured on that page  is from my system at TNMOC.

The Stuttgart machine is probably one of the most complete 1130 systems that exist now, and it is still working!

- Peter

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Bob Flanders

Dec 21, 2019, 2:42:45 PM12/21/19
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Peter...

You should put up a picture of yours!

Best Regards,
Bob

Dave Wade

Dec 21, 2019, 2:56:37 PM12/21/19
to ibm...@googlegroups.com

There is a picture of the TNMOC IBM1130 here

https://www.tnmoc.org/volunteer

and go to the gallery at the bottom….

… I think I have some more from when it was in the other gallery ….

Dave

John Pierce

Dec 21, 2019, 3:26:53 PM12/21/19
to ibm...@googlegroups.com

On Sat, Dec 21, 2019 at 11:16 AM peter.vaughan <peter....@tnmoc.org> wrote:
Yes, it's this one:

And is the one pictured on Wikipedia:

Although the console pictured on that page  is from my system at TNMOC.

The Stuttgart machine is probably one of the most complete 1130 systems that exist now, and it is still working!

indeed, I noted it had nearly every peripheral and option

I also like that analog computer sitting on top of the expansion disk chassis.   looks vaguely EAI like.

--
-john r pierce
  recycling used bits in santa cruz

Eddy Quicksall

Dec 24, 2019, 7:15:16 PM12/24/19
to ibm...@googlegroups.com

Cool, that guy had a nice setup.

Mar 12, 2021, 6:13:19 PM3/12/21
to IBM1130
Just when you thought you had seen 'em all, just found this online thanks to https://ibms360.co.uk/?p=891 that shows the progress of the National Museum of Computing restoring a 360/20 (although COVID has slowed them down.)

Anyway,  on the BBC One Scotland program called Silicon Dreams, from Ships to Microchips. Peter Vaughan and Adam Bradley were filmed with the 360 for the program and Peter was also filmed at TNMoC with the 1130. The show can be seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ToUiXHlYlg and 1130 references and operation are shown starting at about 20:50.

This is the 1130 Peter showed me  in 2019. Way to go, Peter!

Best Regards,
Bob

Ricardo Bánffy

Mar 12, 2021, 7:21:36 PM3/12/21
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
Wow! Thanks for sharing that with us!

Ricardo Bánffy
http://about.me/rbanffy

Peter Vaughan

Mar 12, 2021, 8:35:55 PM3/12/21
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
Signed photos are available from my agent for those that want one :)

Thanks Bob, I guess I forgot to share myself, seems such a long time ago that it happened now - filmed in Dec 2019. The film crew were at the museum all day for my parts of the TV programme, plus one of our museum trustees and over 3 hours with me. Lots of chat and machine time on the cutting floor!

I actually had to fix the machine between takes as the printer refused to print when we first tried it. Turned out to be rust on the photo sense wheel on the printer.

The museum's machine was assembled and commissioned in Greenock, hence the inclusion in the programme.

The 360 was not originally planned to be filmed, but a week before they were at the museum, I discovered a machine tag indicating part of the 360 was also made in Greenock. I mentioned this to the documentary crew when they arrived at the museum, and they decided late in the day they wanted to film it. A quick call to Adam and with it only being 20 mins from the museum, it was arranged and they were there for over 2 hours.

One correction, the 360 restoration is a private venture, there is no association with the museum. Adam and Chris own this German eBay purchase (yes that is where it was found) I'm just helping due to my IBM knowledge. They, like me, are volunteers at TNMOC museum, and I have known them both for many years, but they are less frequent at the museum now as they have a company to run. The eBay listing was very vague in its description, saying it was an puma computer (due to having a large puma sticker on it) and no mention of 360. When I saw the listing it had the IBM model numbers for some of the parts and I recognised it as not one but 2 complete 360 systems. I said to Adam and Chris, they had to try and get it, and they funded the purchase... it was an auction and was bought for €4500 euro ($5400).

COVID has scuppered our time on the machine... We last worked on it in March 2020, just under a year ago. Very frustrating.

We will be putting a call out for info at some point. We thought we had a load of manuals and logic diagrams for it that was included, but it turns out 90% are for a 370 system the owners had - the job lot actually included 2 almost complete 360/20 systems (blue and red) with a yellow 370 partly stripped processor cabinet and a stripped card reader desk.

Many years of restoration fun ahead for the 3 of us plus a few more team members

I hope everyone is keeping safe and well.

Regards,

Peter Vaughan

Nick Seidenman

Mar 13, 2021, 6:32:48 AM3/13/21
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
WOW!!!

I first learned to program on an 1130, donated to our high school, starting in 1973.  Seeing it - WORKING! - with th2 1442 read/punch and the 1132 printer (ok, didn't actually see that working) ... how nostalgic.

And, what the guy said about "sounds and smells".  Yup. Loved how you could tell where it was in the compilation / loading / execution by the clicks and buzzes.

Cheers for this!

Nick

Bob Flanders

Jul 26, 2021, 12:16:32 AM7/26/21
to IBM1130
OK .. one more sighting ... sort of. It's Carl's 1130 from VCF in 2019.

Regards,
Bob

Ricardo Bánffy

Jul 26, 2021, 6:38:16 AM7/26/21
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
I love the work of emulating lightbulb fades with LEDs, but the
vestigial engineer in me doesn't like those 90 degree turns in the
traces. I know PCB manufacturing has improved a lot in the past 30
years or so, and that, at the frequencies these panels run, we won't
have much RF interference coming out of the right angles, but, still,
I can't quite avoid the discomfort. Yikes!