What does the xxx in ?withsquare=xxx mean?

Jun Lyu

Jul 19, 2021, 4:12:42 AM7/19/21
to ibexexperiments
Dear all,

I was reading one of the posts on counterbalancing on Ibex. One researcher says that s/he has received 17 subjects for one list and 11 subjects for another. Alex then suggests appending the code "?withsquare=xxx" to the end of the link. But I wonder what xxxx means. Does it refer to the number of lists one has?

A followup question is: I'm currently still using the old Ibex. But there is a post at the end by Alex saying that this code is different for old ibex, as the experiment.html need to be replaced by server.py. So a link would basically look like the following?

/ibexexps/UserName/ExperimentName/server.py?withsquare=4

where "4" refers to the 4 lists one has?

Thanks everyone!

Best,
Jun (and sorry about the previous post about MTurk which is related to this one)

Alexandre Cremers

Jul 19, 2021, 4:35:22 AM7/19/21
to ibexexp...@googlegroups.com
Dear Jun,

Your link for the old ibex looks correct (to be sure, try playing with the value and make sure it does change the items accordingly). You need to manipulate the xxx to assign the participants to the different cells in your latin square. If you have two cells, you can send half participants to withsquare=1 and the other half to withsquare=2. However, the easiest is just to increment the number (assign each participant a new number i and send them to withsquare=i), Ibex will sort it out.

Best,
Alexandre

Jun Lyu

Jul 19, 2021, 5:39:59 AM7/19/21
to ibexexperiments
Dear Alex,

Thank you for your kind reply on what xxx means!

I have a clarification question though. Based on what you said, I don't need to do modify the link to the ibex project itself in my project space (which is called e.g., /ibexexps/UserName/ExperimentName/experiment.html on top of my project space), say, by creating two new projects with one named "...withsquare=1" and the other "...withsquare=2" (assuming 2 lists), correct? I only need to have one experiment space (i.e. the one for  /ibexexps/UserName/ExperimentName/experiment.html) and only need to modify the link when I send it to the participants, I suppose?

So I copy-paste the old link (i.e. .../experiment.html) and make the changes accordingly (i.e. ...withsquare=1 or withsqure=2). I assume that participants' responses to "withsquare=1" and "withsquare=2" will be automatically saved/transferred to my project named /ibexexps/UserName/ExperimentName/experiment.html?

Thank you!
Best,
Jun

Alexandre Cremers

Jul 19, 2021, 5:47:02 AM7/19/21
On Mon, Jul 19, 2021 at 12:40 PM Jun Lyu <jun...@usc.edu> wrote:
Dear Alex,

Thank you for your kind reply on what xxx means!

I have a clarification question though. Based on what you said, I don't need to do modify the link to the ibex project itself in my project space (which is called e.g., /ibexexps/UserName/ExperimentName/experiment.html on top of my project space), say, by creating two new projects with one named "...withsquare=1" and the other "...withsquare=2" (assuming 2 lists), correct? I only need to have one experiment space (i.e. the one for  /ibexexps/UserName/ExperimentName/experiment.html) and only need to modify the link when I send it to the participants, I suppose?

Yes! The "server.py?withsquare=xxx" thing passes options to your experiment, while "experiment.html" just loads the experiment with default values, but it's the same experiment.

So I copy-paste the old link (i.e. .../experiment.html) and make the changes accordingly (i.e. ...withsquare=1 or withsqure=2). I assume that participants' responses to "withsquare=1" and "withsquare=2" will be automatically saved/transferred to my project named /ibexexps/UserName/ExperimentName/experiment.html?

Yes. I think it makes more sense to think of "ExperimentName" as the name of the project. "ExperimentName/experiment.html" is just the default preview of your experiment project in a sense.

Thank you!
Best,
Jun