Let's use words gooder this year (no siting)

drbeel

Jan 2, 2018, 2:04:36 PM1/2/18
to Iowabirds
Birders, 2017 saw a number of misused and misspelled words creep into posts to the IOU listserve, so let's all strive to correct some of these common errors:

Wigeon, not Widgeon
Kestrel, not Kestral
Siskin, not Sisken
Shoveler, not Shovellor
Downy, not Downey
Canada, not Canadian (Geese)
Sandhill, not Sandhills (Cranes)
sighting, not siting
morph, not phase

And that most hackneyed of non-words,
the regrettable "shorbs".  Golly, the mere addition of four letters converts this sophomoric jumble into the accurate and wholly understandable "shorebirds".

Respectfully,
Bill Scheible
Cedar Rapids

Shaun Chandler

Jan 2, 2018, 2:12:10 PM1/2/18
to drbeel, Iowabirds
Please tell me you are just joking?

Shaun Chandler
Carroll

Sent from my Verizon Wireless iPhone

Shaun Chandler

Jan 2, 2018, 4:49:58 PM1/2/18
to Paul Roisen, ia-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for taking it out of contents Paul!
It's Shaun, not Shawn 😉

Sent from my Verizon Wireless iPhone

On Jan 2, 2018, at 3:32 PM, Paul Roisen <roise...@gmail.com> wrote:

Shawn,

Though I do not enjoy Bill's annual reminders, we do recognize that newer birders do not always understand our lingo.  Additionally, correct English and naming of birds is important.

Your response, written to the entire IOU listserve, does seem to confirm that your are one of the sophomoric entities that he is referring to.

If you wish to criticize someone you disagree with then at least do it in a private way.  I think you owe Bill a public apology.

Good Bless and good birding to you, Shaun.

Paul O. Roisen
Woodbury County, IA

On Jan 2, 2018, at 1:04 PM, drbeel <drb...@mchsi.com> wrote:

Birders, 2017 saw a number of misused and misspelled words creep into posts to the IOU listserve, so let's all strive to correct some of these common errors:

Wigeon, not Widgeon
Kestrel, not Kestral
Siskin, not Sisken
Shoveler, not Shovellor
Downy, not Downey
Canada, not Canadian (Geese)
Sandhill, not Sandhills (Cranes)
sighting, not siting
morph, not phase

And that most hackneyed of non-words,
the regrettable "shorbs".  Golly, the mere addition of four letters converts this sophomoric jumble into the accurate and wholly understandable "shorebirds".

Respectfully,
Bill Scheible
Cedar Rapids

Shaun Chandler

Jan 2, 2018, 4:53:59 PM1/2/18
to Paul Roisen, ia-...@googlegroups.com
Whoops...auto correct! 🙄

Sent from my Verizon Wireless iPhone

Brandon Caswell

Jan 2, 2018, 5:18:45 PM1/2/18
to Shaun Chandler, Paul Roisen, Bird List Iowa
Birders,

I was given the gracious option as an "Admin" with the Facebook "Iowa Birding" group.  One of my rolls is to admit new members.  Facebook has added an option for people to answer a basic question, which is a way to keep spammers out.  The question is, "What is your favorite bird?".  While some just list their favorite bird, many take the question seriously and are passionate about their answers.  I read every answer and if there is one thing I can tell you it is this, the vast majority of people either indicate they are new to birding or you can tell they are new because of how they spell things.  I'd say nearly 99.5% of answers have misspellings of common bird names.

While I see some merit in Bill's email to the IOU Listerv, I also acknowledge that Paul is correct in that we need to be sensitive of the next "generation" of birders.  Iowa Birding is closing in on 3,000 members and many of them will get exposure to the IOU through the group.  We have tried to redirect the usage of bird nomenclature, but it seems that we have let it go for good reasons.  If I recall correctly, we once had a woman get extremely angry over the correction of "American Bald Eagle" to simply, "Bald Eagle".  Those who eventually choose to take their birding passion to the next step will eventually see there are proper bird names and spellings.  Lets not lose potential people to our community because they say, "Gold finch" or "Canadian Geese".

Good birding,
Brandon

Brandon Caswell

Jan 2, 2018, 5:22:13 PM1/2/18
to Shaun Chandler, Paul Roisen, Bird List Iowa
Forgot to properly sign off...

Brandon Caswell
Marion

Tony Moline

Jan 2, 2018, 5:36:31 PM1/2/18
to IA-BIRD
I know I have unintentionally misspelled bird names when posting in the field. Sometimes you just want to get the information out there and you are trying to text on a tiny little phone.
I also know an ornithologist who uses "shorbs"
I find this perfectly acceptable and knew exactly what was being communicated when I heard it the first time. I'd hardly call him sophomoric.
Personally I don't find Shaun's response any more inappropriate than the original posting.
Bill says Listserve
Brandon says Listserv
We all know what they are talking about.
There's enough crabbiness on Facebook.
Keep this site positive please
Tony Moline
Dubuque

Brandon Caswell

Jan 2, 2018, 5:43:18 PM1/2/18
to IA-BIRD
Birders,

I misinterpreted a response to my original email that the conversation was shut down, therefore, I thought my original message was not posted.  Sorry for the confusion about my last post to Paul.

Best,
Brandon Caswell
Marion