Beaver Bottoms Waterfowl

Ty Smedes

Feb 18, 2017, 4:57:40 PM2/18/17
to Ia-Bird ListServ
Still several thousand Canada's and Specklebellies in the area, and saw our first ducks today (3 pairs of Hooded Mergansers) - most likely our local pairs that will stay and nest.

Ty Smedes

Ty Smedes Nature Photography
4732 72nd Street
Urbandale
Iowa 50322-1148

www.smedesphoto.com
phone #515-270-9086

"I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it" - Thomas Jefferson

Ty Smedes

Feb 27, 2017, 2:06:58 PM2/27/17
to Ia-Bird ListServ
Following a weekend of presentations in Prairie duChein and Dubuque I dropped by Beaver Bottoms Wetlands this morning, south of Granger and in Dallas County.  At every bend in every back-water and pond, ducks erupted by the hundreds! Mostly Mallards and Gadwall, with a sprinkling of Hooded Mergansers and GW Teal..  Also Pied-billed Grebe, but no Woodies yet..

Yesterday morning I spotted a few Sandhill Cranes along the north side of Prairie duChein when I left and started south.  They were along the river (behind the Cabela’s store).