A day of good news.

Michael Stark

Sep 14, 2017, 9:41:50 PM9/14/17
to ia-...@googlegroups.com
Came home after work to watch a Coopers Hawk in my backyard trying to catch my little chipmunks on foot. Never saw that before! Jumping at them through the bushes and in general a act of frustration.
Best news of all for those that photograph Eagles. Today at Lock & Dam #14 Mid-American energy erected three telephone pole with perches for the Eagles to rest on, and eye their fish for the next meal. These replace the three large trees that died and were removed. Also a group is going to bring in and plant ten trees from the southern states that will hopefully take hold and grow in the poor fill dirt at the dam. A big thanks to Jay Brooks for heading up this effort.

Mike Stark
Marion

Ty Smedes

Sep 14, 2017, 9:57:03 PM9/14/17
to Michael Stark, ia-...@googlegroups.com
Jay Brooks (Quad Cities) called and asked for my thoughts on this idea, before he went forward.. Following the death and removal of the favorite eagle perch trees, I’m sure it will benefit returning eagles this winter.. Kudos to the Corps of Engineers and Mid-American Energy for making this happen...

Ty Smedes

Ty Smedes Nature Photography
4732 72nd Street
Urbandale
Iowa 50322-1148

www.smedesphoto.com
phone #515-270-9086

"I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it" - Thomas Jefferson

Brandon Caswell

Sep 14, 2017, 10:20:00 PM9/14/17
to Michael Stark, Ty Smedes, ia-...@googlegroups.com
Birders,

I could write a long and winded essay about how I vehemently and utterly 100% DO NOT SUPPORT THE POLES.  I think I'll pass on the essay.

All I will say is the Mississippi River is flanked by thousands upon thousands of mature trees. Lock & Dam 14 is a good place for the eagle photographers (whom most are not birders, that's a fact) to feed all the "starving" eagles on a nearly daily basis in the winter (...we'll, if the lighting is good enough).  The poles aren't about the eagles or their well-being whatsoever. It's all about the photographers being happy. Let's face it, if you have the kind of money to tote around a $30K camera to take eagle pictures with, on a balmy Wednesday in December, you've got some sway in erecting the utility poles that draw the eagle to you! Bon appetite!!!!!

Regards,
Brandon Caswell
Marion