North-central Iowa birds

Tyler M. Harms

Jul 4, 2017, 9:00:17 PM7/4/17
to IA-BIRD
Hi Birders,

I apologize for the delayed post.  Yesterday, I conducted my Breeding Bird Survey route which starts near Kanawha in Hancock county and traverses both Hancock and Kossuth counties.  Although mostly agricultural habitat, I tend to observe a nice variety of breeding birds.  Most surprising yesterday was the number of Upland Sandpipers.  Typically, I observe a single Upland Sandpiper on less than 6 of the 50 points along the route.  Yesterday, I observed them on 12 points with nearly half of those points having more than one bird.  I'm hopeful this is indicative of an increasing trend in this species statewide.  I guess I'll see what next year brings!

Afterwards, I put my canoe on Eagle Lake in Hancock county for some exploring.  Exciting birds at this location included 2 Black-crowned Night-Herons along with 2 Forster's Terns and 5 Black Terns.  Also present in a dry area of the lake with exposed mud was 5 species of shorebirds.

Happy Independence Day!

Tyler Harms
Ames, Story Co.

Hank Zaletel

Jul 4, 2017, 10:30:25 PM7/4/17
to Tyler M. Harms, IA-BIRD
Echoing your report, I conducted by Breeding Bird Survey yesterday in northern Story and Boone Counties with similar habitat. I had eight Upland Sandpipers, six at one location and two at another. An improvement over the twenty years I have done this route.

Hank Zaletel
Nevada