April 15th??

Skip to the first unread message

drbeel

15 Apr 2018, 16:23:5515/04/2018
to Iowabirds
Birders

This date is reliably when Rough-winged Swallows return to their nesting cliffs on the Cedar River at Palisades-Kepler SP in Linn County.  However, today seems more like January 105th, and the swallows were no shows.

The park was fabulously birdy around noon, however, with most of the birds seeking food on the roadsides.  Hermit Thrushes   (which seem to be uncommonly common this year), Fox Sparrows, Chipping Sparrows and Juncos (a pairing I don't normally see together), Eastern Phoebes, and 2 species that I rarely encounter on the ground (Pine Siskins and Ruby-crowned Kinglets).

Also saw a Winter Wren foraging in downed timber.

Bill Scheible
Cedar Rapids

Paul Roisen

15 Apr 2018, 16:52:5715/04/2018
to Iowabirds
April 15th--Any here I have been worrying about my taxes!   Had a friend that went out birding in eastern NE yesterday before and during the storm.   94 species!!  How crazy is that.

God Bless,

Paul O. Roisen
Woodbury County, IA