Tundra Swans, Johnson County

Chris Edwards

Mar 4, 2017, 2:12:41 PM3/4/17
to ia-...@googlegroups.com
This morning at Round Pond at Hawkeye Wildlife Area there were still 30
swans including at least 12 TUNDRA SWANS. As Jim Forde mentioned, the road
to Round Pond is barricaded, and it's a one-mile walk from the barricade to
Round Pond. But they were Johnson County bird #313 for me, so the walk was
worth it! Also present there were 3 SANDHILL CRANES and several hundred
ducks including REDHEADS and RUDDY DUCKS.

Scattered around the south side of Hawkeye I found 16 duck species including
COMMON MERGANSERS, COMMON GOLDENEYES, and BUFFLEHEADS at Half Moon Lake
a.k.a. Crescent Pond, HOODED MERGANSERS and 580 GADWALL at Swan Lake, and
FOY WOOD DUCKS along James Avenue. Half a dozen flocks of 20-50 GREATER
WHITE-FRONTED GEESE passed overhead. My FOY GREAT BLUE HERON was also along
James Avenue.

Chris Edwards
Solon, IA
cred...@aol.com