Story County - Colo Bogs

Eric Ollie

May 6, 2018, 12:49:13 PM5/6/18
to Iowabirds, Eric Ollie
FOY Bobolink, singing male

3 White-faced Ibis, close to old HWY 30 in flooded sheep pasture.

Many other shorebirds that I have yet to check out.

Eric Ollie
Ames

Hank Zaletel

May 6, 2018, 2:21:10 PM5/6/18
to Iowabirds
The bird was seen by the ball diamonds on the west side of the park at 12:30.

Hank Zaletel
Nevada

Hank Zaletel

May 6, 2018, 6:39:13 PM5/6/18
to Iowabirds, Eric Ollie
Ibis still present at 3:30 in same location.

Tyler Grant

May 6, 2018, 9:18:37 PM5/6/18
to Hank Zaletel, Iowabirds
I easily found it at 5:30 pm on the west side of the baseball diamonds, but it disappeared while I was looking at my phone.

Tyler Grant

May 6, 2018, 9:34:48 PM5/6/18
to Hank Zaletel, Iowabirds, Eric Ollie
The Ibis were still present at 6:30 PM and I'll admit something I never see people admit.  I flushed them trying to get a picture to verify for myself whether they were White-faced Ibis or Glossy Ibis.  They flew in circles overhead so I think they want to come back.  I got in my car and left to see if they would land, but they didn't land in the same spot while I was still there.  It still seems like to me they'll return, it seemed to be a nice spot to feed - there were at the very least 50 Lesser Yellowlegs and a variety of other birds.  I bet they'll be there in the morning.

My pictures showed a red iris and gray bill so I'm confident they were White-faced Ibis.  Photo has been uploaded to eBird:  https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S45386598

Tyler Grant
Ames