Beaver Bottoms Wetland Waterfowl

Ty Smedes

Apr 6, 2021, 2:04:48 PM4/6/21
to Ia-Bird ListServ
We lost about half our waterfowl between Sunday and Monday, but there were still enough birds yesterday morning to make it interesting, and I’ve attached a few photos. Last summer’s drought allowed shoreline sedges and other plants to advance into the dry ponds a few feet, creating ideal feeding conditions this spring, when ponds refilled, albeit at a lower level. Consequently an exceptional number of waterfowl hung around through last weekend. Although large numbers of BW still Teal persist,
I’m sure most waterfowl rode the friendly south winds and are now in Minnesota or the Dakotas.

Beaver Bottoms Wetland is private Wetland located approximately 1 mile south of Granger, across the Beaver Creek Bridge and along the west side of Xavier Rd.

Ty Smedes

Ty Smedes Nature Photography
Polk City
Iowa

www.smedesphoto.com
phone #515-984-9632

"I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it" - Thomas Jefferson
BW_Teal_Courtship_Flight4652.jpg
GW_Teal_Drake_Flying4570.jpg
Ringneck_Courtship_Flight4593.jpg
Wood_Duck_Drake_Flying4546.jpg