Howard County

shac...@windstream.net

Nov 3, 2017, 10:15:37 PM11/3/17
to bird lists
Seeing people post about having seen a snowy owl so early got me to go look near Saratoga today-it's been a great spot for at least 4 years. None today but it was a good trip anyway. Drove a loop through Elma to Highway 9, back and forth on the gravel roads surrounding Saratoga and into Cresco.

Total of 14 bald eagles(mostly mature, I think there were 4 juvies), three mature and one juvenile redtail hawk, two rough-legged hawks, one sharp-shinned and two unidentified(possibly broad-winged) hawks.

9 of the eagles were gathered in a field on the east side of the Elma blacktop about half a mile south of Highway 9. Found this interesting, there is no major water there and there was no roadkill nearby, but this is the third year I have seen eagles congregate in that particular field. Most of the rest of the birds mentioned were on Iris Avenue in the stretch going north to 70th ST, and the rough-leggeds were two miles west(didn't check the road).

Ryan Shackleton
Alta Vista, IA
Chickasaw County