Global Big Day

drbeel

May 5, 2018, 8:31:49 PM5/5/18
to Iowabirds
Today Linda Rudolph and I participated in the eBird Global Big Day, which last year tallied 6659 species worldwide.  We focused our search on Clinton and Scott Counties, and found an even 80 species.

We had hoped to add Jackson County but were flummoxed by the season long closure of Maquoketa Caves SP.

Our "best" finds were probably a Summer Tanager at Eagle Point Park in Clinton,
and 2 singing Henslow's Sparrows at Scott County Park.

Migrants were rather scarce.  After Yellow-rumps, our most frequent warbler was Northern Waterthrush, which seems odd.
We did not see an Eastern Phoebe, perhaps the first time it's been missed on an all day birding adventure in Iowa in May.

As of 6 PM this evening, 5322 species have been counted around the world, with Colombia leading the pack at 794.

We should bottle this weather and open it come next February.  A great day to be out.

Bill Scheible
Cedar Rapids