Broken link

steve.s...@yahoo.com

Feb 17, 2021, 5:37:01 AM2/17/21
to iCW - internet CW
Chuck, I'm helping a young man (14) who is already up to 45 wpm with resources to increase his speed. The first link on the iCW page that says "the main iCW website is HERE" is broken. The second here to the groups reflector works.

By the way, I need to figure out how to change my login email. Tried to do it here but guess I'll have to the groups.io home page or something. Correct email now is wf...@fastmail.com

73! Steve, WF3T

Chuck Vaughn

Feb 17, 2021, 5:57:09 AM2/17/21
to iCW - internet CW
Hi Steve,
i just checked the icw main page link on QRQcw iCW PAGE,
 and it was working when i clicked on it

Steven G. Steltzer

Feb 17, 2021, 6:03:47 AM2/17/21
to 'joe living' via iCW - internet CW
Good morning!

Not that one. That works. On that page itself the first link listed "the main iCW website is HERE" gives me a 404 error every time.

73!!!

aa0hw

Feb 17, 2021, 6:07:13 AM2/17/21
to iCW - internet CW
not sure which iCW you are speaking of....  can you send me a link to the PAGE itself....thanks...c

Steven G. Steltzer

Feb 17, 2021, 6:13:56 AM2/17/21
to 'joe living' via iCW - internet CW
Hmmm. It's the page that comes up with the link you sent. Or if you click on iCW at the top of the main page it's on that page right under the pictures. Maybe it's Chrome here this morning, but clicking on HERE gives me the page not found error every time.

Question everything, believe nothing, until proven without a single doubt.

Chuck Vaughn

Feb 17, 2021, 6:17:24 AM2/17/21
to iCW - internet CW
can you take a screen shot of the address of the page and the link you are clicking on and include it back on the reply..
i am having trouble finding what you are speaking of...
thanks

Steven G. Steltzer

Feb 17, 2021, 6:24:59 AM2/17/21
to 'joe living' via iCW - internet CW
I've got to get ready for a doc appt. this morning.  Have to continue this when I get home. Sorry for the trouble.

73, ttyl as the kids say :-)

Chuck Broadwell W5UXH

Feb 17, 2021, 7:28:03 AM2/17/21
to i_...@googlegroups.com
Chuck Vaughn, the broken link Steve is talking about is this one:

Chuck Vaughn

Feb 17, 2021, 7:37:37 AM2/17/21
to iCW - internet CW
hmmm..
that is the one i clicked on...and it worked for me everytime...
curious...
...if you right click and save link....can you paste it on a new tab of your browser and go there
or see if the link has any errors in its address...
when i rt click and copy address it gives me this
which should be the correct site...

or maybe i need to change the link to add the HOME

i just changed it to add   /home
would you please try again and let me know   here is my screen shot of that
icwHOME.png

Chuck Broadwell W5UXH

Feb 17, 2021, 7:41:27 AM2/17/21
to i_...@googlegroups.com
I had done that and did it again, it still has the 404 error.  I intended to try Safari instead of Chrome and will do that now.

Chuck Broadwell W5UXH

Feb 17, 2021, 7:43:30 AM2/17/21
to i_...@googlegroups.com
It fails in Safari also.

Chuck Vaughn

Feb 17, 2021, 7:57:11 AM2/17/21
to iCW - internet CW
are you talking about the fail now being with the revised
 /home at the end of the address...

Chuck Vaughn

Feb 17, 2021, 7:58:41 AM2/17/21
to iCW - internet CW
can you reach the site with your browser without clicking the link...?
and
if you rt click and save address of the HERE link to the site...
and compare that with your browser that was actually able to get there..etc...

do they both read exactly the same address ?

Chuck Broadwell W5UXH

Feb 17, 2021, 8:13:51 AM2/17/21
to i_...@googlegroups.com

On Feb 17, 2021, at 5:58 AM, Chuck Vaughn <qrq...@gmail.com> wrote:

can you reach the site with your browser without clicking the link...?
and
if you rt click and save address of the HERE link to the site...
and compare that with your browser that was actually able to get there..etc...

do they both read exactly the same address ?

I do not understand the above.  I have not been able to get to the page at all, either using Chrome or Safari.

I am not able to get to the site (it fails with the 404 error) whether I click on the link or if I copy and paste the link in another tab.  This is still the case with the /home at the end the same as before you added it.

I just tried from Ubuntu also, with the same error.

Andrew Moore

Feb 17, 2021, 8:18:24 AM2/17/21
to i_...@googlegroups.com
Same 404 here. Chuck - maybe your browser cached the old link. Try clearing cache and hit the link again.

Chuck Vaughn

Feb 17, 2021, 8:39:50 AM2/17/21
to iCW - internet CW
ok...
thank you Andrew
i think i will also just put the normal address as the link instead of the HERE word with the link embedded...
more in a bit...

Chuck Vaughn

Feb 17, 2021, 8:52:18 AM2/17/21
to iCW - internet CW
Hi Chuck, Steve, & Andrew   et al ...
i just changed the links again to print the address directly
but when i use another browser, where i am not already logged into GOOGLE,
it sends me first to the login site to google...(or create google account)

however, if i search on google first...to find the site..then click on the google link...
it will take me to that site

very confusing...
not sure how to correct this

Chuck Broadwell W5UXH

Feb 17, 2021, 9:06:48 AM2/17/21
to i_...@googlegroups.com
What is the exact google search string you used to find the site?

Chuck Vaughn

Feb 17, 2021, 9:12:25 AM2/17/21
to iCW - internet CW
i think it was this or something similar

icwoip icw

and i clicked on it again..and it took me to the sign in for google sites..

very strange google behavior ...
..

Steven G. Steltzer

Feb 17, 2021, 2:38:14 PM2/17/21
to Chuck Vaughn, 'joe living' via iCW - internet CW
Good afternoon,

Just tried the new link with Chrome and Brave, logged in and not logged in. Still getting the google 404 error here.

Good news from my doc appt. today : As long as she listened, I had to ask, but I do still have a heart and it is still beating. Bad news is they say I have A-fib and are sending me to  a cardiologist. Cripes, I went to have my prostate problems checked out. Healthy as a horse all my life and apparently I'm falling apart all of a sudden.

73!
Steve

joe living

Feb 17, 2021, 2:51:24 PM2/17/21
to i_...@googlegroups.com
If you live long enough like me you get atrial fibrillation. Good news is its easy to treat and new drugs are available to prevent complications. And, it will not affect your CW skills!

Joe W3GW

Steven G. Steltzer

Feb 17, 2021, 3:10:58 PM2/17/21
to 'joe living' via iCW - internet CW
Chuck : Yep, just tried pasting it in the address bar, still comes up with 404 error.

Damn, didn't realize I was sending that med stuff to everyone on this list :-) Ah well, not like it matters to me anyway, hi. Darn it though Cardiologist Joe, you cud have kept that fact a secret and I would have had a good excuse when I missed something. Bwahahaha!

73 Gents!
Steve, WF3T

Chuck Vaughn

Feb 17, 2021, 3:26:35 PM2/17/21
to iCW - internet CW
Hi Steve
were you able to get to the website through google search ?...if so....
can you copy and paste the webpage address that did work for you back to me in a reply so i can compare it to the
web address i have listed on the QRQcw icw webpage link...

thanks

Steven G. Steltzer

Feb 17, 2021, 4:27:22 PM2/17/21
to 'joe living' via iCW - internet CW
This Yahoo result worked : http://internetcw.weebly.com/

Chuck Vaughn

Feb 17, 2021, 4:53:38 PM2/17/21
to iCW - internet CW
Hi Steve,
that is not the ICWOIP main page though...it is only a weebly webpage director towards the icwoip google sites main iCW page...

when i click on the iCW google sites page
i am getting forwarded to a google sign in page when i use a browser where i am not logged into google...

- is anyone getting the same result instead of the 404 error ?

Steven G. Steltzer

Feb 17, 2021, 6:32:20 PM2/17/21
to 'joe living' via iCW - internet CW
The forward to the Google sign in page happened to me the first time this morning Chuck. So I did sign in with my Google account, but still got the 404 error then. I just tried it again. No google sign in option, still the 404 error.

DuckDuckGo came up with a direct link (not the weebly address) but that produced the error also.

Arthur Williams

Feb 17, 2021, 6:42:37 PM2/17/21
to I Cw
If your connection goes through Texas, the news is saying the whole state-wide power grid is down.

73

Art

Chuck Vaughn

Feb 18, 2021, 6:07:07 AM2/18/21
to iCW - internet CW
i think the link is fixed now...
it was an issue going from old sites to new sites...
they changed the sharing option from PUBLIC to RESTRICTED
so i just now changed it back to PUBLIC and the link should work now
to get to the icwoip main page
thanks very much for everyone's help on this matter
chuck

On Wed, Feb 17, 2021 at 4:37 AM 'WF...@fastmail.com' via iCW - internet CW <i_...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Chuck, I'm helping a young man (14) who is already up to 45 wpm with resources to increase his speed. The first link on the iCW page that says "the main iCW website is HERE" is broken. The second here to the groups reflector works.

By the way, I need to figure out how to change my login email. Tried to do it here but guess I'll have to the groups.io home page or something. Correct email now is wf...@fastmail.com

73! Steve, WF3T

Chuck Broadwell W5UXH

Feb 18, 2021, 8:09:37 AM2/18/21
to i_...@googlegroups.com
That is what I was looking for when I sent the link to one of my sites that I knew I had not touched any sharing options.  I thought if you could not access it, then that was the thing to look for.  I had previously looked at just one site and clicked on something that was not clear to me thinking it might have to do with sharing.

Oh, well.  Sorry it was such a struggle, but you succeeded!

Steven G. Steltzer

Feb 18, 2021, 11:49:23 AM2/18/21
to Chuck Broadwell W5UXH, 'joe living' via iCW - internet CW
A struggle yes, but ah, that sweet taste of success :-)

Chuck Vaughn

Feb 18, 2021, 12:06:31 PM2/18/21
to iCW - internet CW
indeed...
thanks again Steve for alerting us with the heads-up on this issue !
chuck
..