Anthropology Reaserch

Ginty

Sep 22, 2021, 2:24:36 PM9/22/21
to i3detroi...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I'm a Mechanical Engineering student at Oakland University, as part of one of my classes I need to do ethnographic research on a culture that is related somewhat to my interests. I personally would self describe myself as a maker and I thought doing some research on the culture of i3 would be perfect for me. I was wondering if there is any chance I could observe some meetings/work done at i3 and even potentially help out briefly on a group project as part of my research (getting as involved as possible is a requirement for my class). Feel free to ask anything about me so you can get to know me better!

Thanks for your time,
Max.

Kevin Flory

Sep 22, 2021, 9:18:52 PM9/22/21
to i3detroi...@googlegroups.com
Hey, Max!

I'm quite certain there are projects that could use the help--if nothing else, I'm working on a few i3-related projects that could use an extra hand. But I'd actually suggest a slightly different approach.

I don't know how much background you might have with i3, so forgive me if I'm overexplaining! If you have time, we do tours every Friday, and I'd suggest stopping by to talk about this. From my experience, i3 runs on relationships and in-person conversations. Even with COVID, there's usually a few people around who'd enjoy talking about i3 and some ways to get involved. If you're available for that, do know:
  • Masks are required at present (we can provide one) and you'd need to sign a waiver (basically, that you're responsible for your own safety and actions while inside).
  • There's additional information which might be useful to you at https://www.i3detroit.org/wiki/HOWTO_Visit and on https://www.i3detroit.org/ depending on how you prefer to consume information.
  • I'm planning on being present 7-9 PM this and next Friday; even if I'm unexpectedly unable to make it, there should be at least one person doing tours from 6:30 to 8:30 PM.
    • If you'd like to meet me specifically on Friday, please do send me a confirmation offlist. Personal email is below.

Thanks!
Kevin Flory
Craft Room Co-coordinator