Library Makerspaces

DD Major

Aug 10, 2021, 10:37:18 AM8/10/21
to i3 Detroit Public
Hey Everyone,

I'm a librarian and I run the makerspace at the Orion Township Public Library.  I'm hoping to learn a lot from this group and potential find some people with unique skills and project ideas that would work as library programs.  Right now I've got audio/video conversion, a Cricut and Cricut mug press, photo digitizer/editing, Pulse 3d printer, die cuts, some electronics kits (Makey Makey, Little bits, etc.) and a Glowforge.  The majority of what we do is arts/crafts related projects due to popularity, budget, and time, but I'm trying to implement a bit more programming with coding and electronics.   I'm familiar with the makerspaces at Rochester, Novi, Ann Arbor and Baldwin libraries; has anyone visited other libraries with makerspaces?

I also work with the American Library Association on gaming in libraries, its been very cool to promote making alongside gaming on a larger level.  I print a lot of replacement board game pieces for the library and have designed some stuff for the D&D group that used to meet here.

Ultimately what I'd like to do is be able to hire out for people to come to the library with equipment that is normally cost/space prohibitive and teach a class/do a demo once in a while.

Friday nights are usually tight for me, but hopefully I'll be able to make it for a first visit soon.  I'm really interested in so much of the equipment and this seems like a great community.

Roger S

Aug 10, 2021, 1:22:49 PM8/10/21
to i3Detroit
You should definitely visit ASAP.  I think you'll find some good ideas.  Another electronics item is Arduino.  We had Sparkfun do a class here a few years ago.  They have a kit, which would involve some expense, but it's reusable over and over for lots of things.  There are other, less expensive ways to do Arduino in a class format to teach electronics and programming.

How do you interface with the art classes at local high schools?  For example, could you offer a clay workshop and then fire what people make in a kiln at a school?

David schmittler

Aug 10, 2021, 1:39:22 PM8/10/21
to i3detroi...@googlegroups.com
I have a couple raspberry pi’s I can donate to you

Sent from my iPhone