ESC Wire Connectors Recommendation

Chad Peterson

Jan 24, 2023, 8:13:31 PM1/24/23
to i3 Detroit Public
Hi All,

Does anyone have a recommendation on the best wire connectors to use to connect an ESC to a Motor for an electric bike?

My email is chad...@gmail.com

Thanks, Chad

Roger S

Jan 25, 2023, 11:53:36 AM1/25/23
to i3detroi...@googlegroups.com
ESC = ?
At first read, that sounds like electronic spark control, which isn't relevant to an electric motor.

Chris Meyer

Jan 25, 2023, 11:58:26 AM1/25/23
to i3detroi...@googlegroups.com

nbezanson

Jan 25, 2023, 10:38:44 PM1/25/23
to i3 Detroit Public
On most RC vehicles, they'd use individual "bullet" connectors for this, which are like high-force banana plugs. The idea of single-conductor connectors is nice because if your ESC has the wrong idea about which way is clockwise, you can just swap any two wires and fix it. That only happens once during setup though, so I don't treat it as a major virtue.

On the downside, they're pretty primitive as connectors go, it's hard to find reputable/genuine product whose materials and platings you can trust, and you're on your own for waterproofing, which typically means glue-lined heatshrink. And if you plan to disconnect them (why else would you be putting a connector there), cutting off and replacing the glue-shrink every time gets old in a hurry.

Sadly I don't know a lot of better options at the kind of currents you're probably running. There's a Metri-Pack 630 line which might work, but I'm not wild about Metri-Pack in general, they also seem to lack the sophistication of more modern designs, and ordering all the individual piece-parts gets tiresome. There are a ton of interesting connectors for less power, or for high power but unsealed, or for high power and sealed but freakishly expensive (mil-spec), pick your poison.

If the Metri-Pack 630 is interesting, here's a starting point: https://www.customconnectorkits.com/12124685/

-Nate-