Re: [Hutter Prize] Is the Hutter prize competition still taking place?

James Bowery

Feb 19, 2021, 2:55:27 PM2/19/21
to Hutter Prize
Yes. The competition is still underway.

On Fri, Feb 19, 2021 at 12:37 PM Austin Bryant <austin.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
I discovered the Hutter prize competition while researching and developing a lossless compression technique.
Is the competition is still underway?

Sebastian Nerger

May 5, 2021, 11:14:33 AM5/5/21
to Hutter Prize
Hello,
I'm not sure: is the time limit only for compressing.

Thank you

Matt Mahoney

May 5, 2021, 11:26:22 AM5/5/21
to Hutter-Prize
100 hours to compress and 100 hours to decompress.

Sebastian Nerger

May 20, 2021, 2:34:12 PM5/20/21
to hutter...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Matt,

I hope my english is understandable. If I understand it correctly I only need to compress the file in 100 hours? Not 10 - OK. This seems not a problem, unlike than decompression.

But I am not(!) a math prof and in result of this I do the compression "in another way", but my PoC works.

So to optimize my code I have few questions:
- Can I use Java?
- Can you define / tell a minimum size, where I can stop the compression?
- How can I estimate my local performance against your test system? Is a file, standard compression (like gzip) and time on your system given for local run to calculate a ca.-factor for runtime?

Thank you
Bastie

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Hutter Prize" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hutter-prize/CACFhWPPPdF67%3DXFqJ2dPWxne2Avsej_u9LbYEQs_O9AG6UpD7w%40mail.gmail.com.

Matt Mahoney

May 20, 2021, 7:04:27 PM5/20/21
to Hutter-Prize
The rules permit C++, Python, and x86 assembler. Personally I would allow Java. For testing, you have 100 hours on a machine with a geekbench score of 500. I suggest measuring your hardware with it and adjust accordingly. The compression ratio should not depend on your hardware or any input arguments.