Are libs are allowed if the are counting to (de)compressor size?

TTho Einthausend

Mar 6, 2020, 12:14:07 PM3/6/20
to Hutter Prize
Hi,

I want to try to apply for the prize, but iam unsure if my setup meets the requirements. Since my c/c++ days laying back over about a decade, I now use Java.

My Setup would be as follows:

1. my coded java files
+ 2. my used java util classes
= 3. compiled via graalvm into a jvm indepentent linux executable as (de)compressor.

Is this kind of setup allowed?

Thank you in advance.

James Bowery

Mar 6, 2020, 12:20:20 PM3/6/20
to Hutter Prize
Yes.  Any self-contained executable binary, relying only on standard OS library calls, is allowed.  The language in which it is originally written is relevant only insofar as the source code must be intelligible and under a standard OSI license.

TTho Einthausend

Mar 8, 2020, 1:16:46 PM3/8/20
to Hutter Prize
Another question: I am allowed to use the executable of zpaq which will be called by my own written executable? Of cause the size of the (de)compressor would be zpaq + myexe? So that myexe can act as pre/postprocessor?

James Bowery

Mar 8, 2020, 1:23:58 PM3/8/20
to Hutter Prize
You can use any combination of software you like but it must be packaged in an executable* and it must compile from intelligible source code that is submitted in accordance with the OSI license requirement.

*A shell script zipped together with a bunch of other programs that it calls is rather a mess but if it actually "works" (ie: beats the prior benchmark substantially), I think the judges would be willing to consider relaxing the rules, but there is no guarantee since that is a situation not explicitly allowed in the relaxations.

On Sun, Mar 8, 2020 at 12:16 PM 'TTho Einthausend' via Hutter Prize <hutter...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Another question: I am allowed to use the executable of zpaq which will be called by my own written executable? Of cause the size of the (de)compressor would be zpaq + myexe? So that myexe can act as pre/postprocessor?

Matt Mahoney

Mar 8, 2020, 6:41:39 PM3/8/20
to Hutter-Prize
I would allow a script calling other programs. Zpaq is public domain and open source, so licensing is not a problem.

TTho Einthausend

Apr 1, 2020, 10:24:51 AM4/1/20
to Hutter Prize
I have another question. In the rules following is stated:

"Members of the prize committee are not eligible for prize money. If a committee member publishes a (de)compressor that would have otherwise won prize money, then L is updated as in the normal case, but no money is paid."

When i would make a valid prize entry S1 at datetime t1. And a commitee member publishes a (de)compressor that would have otherwise won prize money, inside the 30 day evalutation period of t1. Than L1 is updated to L2 at datetime t2. But is S1 a still a valid entry, or does just count L2 and because of S1 > L2 the theoretically valid entry S1 becomes invalid?

Matt Mahoney

Apr 1, 2020, 2:37:11 PM4/1/20
to Hutter-Prize
Speaking for myself, I'm not working on a Hutter prize entry. I don't think anyone else on the prize committee is either.

James Bowery

Apr 1, 2020, 3:07:36 PM4/1/20
to Hutter Prize
I'm not working on a Hutter prize entry and if I were to come up with a "winning" entry*, I most certainly wouldn't subvert the prize award in the manner suggested.  Nor would I expect the other judging committee members to permit me to do so were I to attempt such a subversion.

*I have played around with compressing enwik8 in an attempt to make confabulation theory hierarchical with a SEQUITUR grammar.  The results were mediocre and I haven't done anything with it since.