Is it okay to apply statistical methods (e.g., kruskal wallis and others) with humann2 output (RPK value)?

Minjae Kim

Dec 20, 2019, 9:18:33 AM12/20/19
to HUMAnN Users
Hello,

Since the metagenomic data is compositional data, I just wonder if it is okay to apply LefSE and other statistical comparisons with RPK value from humann2.
or is it better if we can use raw counts and normalize with metagenomeseq, DESeq2, or EdgeR? (is it possible to have raw counts?)
What is the best recommendation with humann2 output for the comparisons?

Thanks

Eric Franzosa

Dec 20, 2019, 11:49:41 AM12/20/19
to humann...@googlegroups.com
It's not possible to get raw counts, so I'd avoid methods that strictly require those.

RPKs adjust for gene length but not sequencing depth, so you'll want to manage the latter in SOME way. One option is to normalize the RPKs to relative abundance or CPM units (e.g. via the renorm_table script).

Thanks,
Eric

Minjae Kim

Dec 20, 2019, 11:54:56 AM12/20/19
to HUMAnN Users
Thanks for the quick reply.
But my main question was that is it okay to do nonparametric method such as kruskal wallis test with the humann2 output values without any normalization?

On Fri, Dec 20, 2019 at 9:18 AM Minjae Kim <minja...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello,

Since the metagenomic data is compositional data, I just wonder if it is okay to apply LefSE and other statistical comparisons with RPK value from humann2.
or is it better if we can use raw counts and normalize with metagenomeseq, DESeq2, or EdgeR? (is it possible to have raw counts?)
What is the best recommendation with humann2 output for the comparisons?

Thanks

Eric Franzosa

Dec 20, 2019, 12:01:07 PM12/20/19
to humann...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for missing that detail. Yes, it's certainly OK to use non-parametric tests on HUMAnN2 outputs, but with the general caveat that dropping distributional assumptions tends to reduce statistical power. Also be aware that some implementations of non-parametric tests behave poorly in the presence of lots of tied values (e.g. zeroes).

Thanks,
Eric

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/humann-users/2d894695-aeb1-4ad9-bc7e-f201aca66d9a%40googlegroups.com.

Minjae Kim