pathways abundances

cecilia silvestri

Dec 1, 2019, 9:35:15 AM12/1/19
to HUMAnN Users
I'm having trouble in understanding in which unit the pathways abundances are measured and if it is normal to have such a big variance in some pathways (e.g. from tenths in some subjects to thousands in other subjects). Thanks in advance.

Eric Franzosa

Dec 2, 2019, 2:45:55 PM12/2/19
to humann...@googlegroups.com
Pathway abundance is measured in the same units as gene abundance: i.e. reads per kilobase (RPK), which is itself a measure of sequencing coverage depth. In the case of pathways, you can think of the measurement as being the coverage of the least-abundant reaction in the pathway or (speaking relative to other pathways in the same sample) the number of complete copies of the pathway in a sample.

Thanks,
Eric

On Sun, Dec 1, 2019 at 9:35 AM cecilia silvestri <ceciliasi...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm having trouble in understanding in which unit the pathways abundances are measured and if it is normal to have such a big variance in some pathways (e.g. from tenths in some subjects to thousands in other subjects). Thanks in advance.

cecilia silvestri

Dec 5, 2019, 6:07:31 AM12/5/19
to HUMAnN Users
Thank you very much!
I have one last question, is there a dataset or a way to link a pathway to the bacteria species involved in it?

Il giorno lunedì 2 dicembre 2019 20:45:55 UTC+1, Eric Franzosa ha scritto:
Pathway abundance is measured in the same units as gene abundance: i.e. reads per kilobase (RPK), which is itself a measure of sequencing coverage depth. In the case of pathways, you can think of the measurement as being the coverage of the least-abundant reaction in the pathway or (speaking relative to other pathways in the same sample) the number of complete copies of the pathway in a sample.

Thanks,
Eric

On Sun, Dec 1, 2019 at 9:35 AM cecilia silvestri <ceciliasi...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm having trouble in understanding in which unit the pathways abundances are measured and if it is normal to have such a big variance in some pathways (e.g. from tenths in some subjects to thousands in other subjects). Thanks in advance.

Eric Franzosa

Dec 11, 2019, 3:58:20 PM12/11/19
to humann...@googlegroups.com
You can look up individual pathways in MetaCyc's own database, which includes information about the taxonomic distribution of different pathways.

Thanks,
Eric

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/humann-users/4794f606-cb64-49c8-8ac0-900f21e8cb2c%40googlegroups.com.