Trying to get a 'zeronoise' image

Terry Duell

Jul 26, 2015, 10:36:42 PM7/26/15
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Hello All,
I have been playing around with the hugin_executor scripting capability
recently added to the default branch of the source repo, and particularly
testing the 'zeronoise' script.
I am having some trouble getting a reasonable result.
I have two input images, 6016x4000. They are not the best test set as they
have been shot handheld.
I pass the test images to align_image_stack, which produces two aligned
images at 6016x4000.
I then run pto_gen to produce a .pto file to pass to hugin_executor. A
look inside this .pto shows the default output is 3000x1500.
I run hugin_executor calling the zeronoise.executor script.
The output produced by the script is 3000x1500, and this image contains a
quite small image in a (lot of) transparent background...not quite what
expected.
If I modify the zeronoise.executor script to set nona to save TIFF instead
of TIFF_m and set --save-intermediate-images, I see that the exposure
clipped images are 450x317, which is close to the size of the final
zeronoise output image within the great expanse of transparency, but hard
to be sure as the final output looks to be equirectangular.

I have been running the whole process via this shell script...
-------------
#! /bin/sh

# test zeronoise tools in hugin-2015.1.0
# Terry Duell Jul 2015

# test images were shot handheld, so use align_image_stack
align_image_stack -v -a AIS IMGP0223.JPG IMGP0225.JPG
echo " stack aligned"

# generate a .pto file
pto_gen -o zeron.pto AIS*
echo " generated .pto"

# run hugin_executor using zero-noise script
hugin_executor -s -p ZN -u zeronoise.executor zeron.pto

echo "All done!"
-------------------

Has anyone had any success or otherwise with generating a 'zeronoise'
image using the zeronoise.executor script?

Cheers,
Terry Duell

T. Modes

Jul 27, 2015, 12:19:03 PM7/27/15
to hugin and other free panoramic software, tdu...@iinet.net.au
Hi Terry,

Am Montag, 27. Juli 2015 04:36:42 UTC+2 schrieb Tduell:
# test images were shot handheld, so use align_image_stack
align_image_stack -v -a AIS IMGP0223.JPG IMGP0225.JPG
echo " stack aligned"

# generate a .pto file
pto_gen -o zeron.pto AIS*
echo " generated .pto"

# run hugin_executor using zero-noise script
hugin_executor -s -p ZN -u zeronoise.executor zeron.pto

I see at least 3 issue with this script:
1.) You don't set the output projection, output fov and canvas size ( pano_modify --projection=0 --fov=AUTO --canvas=AUTO ..)
2.) You remap your images two times - first with align_image_stack and then with nona. This decreases the quality because the images are interpolated twice.
3.) After align_image_stack your images have no exif data. So pto_gen does not set the correct exposure values in the pto file. This is essential for zero-noise output.

To see what happen open the pto file with Hugin and have a look on it.

When you want to do it from command line, use
align_image_stack -p project.pto image1.jpg image2.jpg ..
hugin_executor --stitching --user-defined-output=zeronoise.executor --prefix=zn project.pto

This requires align_image_stack from the repository. I committed a fix for this in changeset 47b7dd156ba.

Alternatively you can use the route: pto_gen -> cpfind -> pto_var -> autooptimise -> pano_modify -> hugin_executor

Thomas

Terry Duell

Jul 27, 2015, 7:09:52 PM7/27/15
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Hello Thomas,

On Tue, 28 Jul 2015 02:19:03 +1000, T. Modes <Thomas...@gmx.de> wrote:

> I see at least 3 issue with this script:

Good, because I've tried so many combinations and permutations that I've
lost track of which way is up, and hence the need for some learned
guidance,

> 1.) You don't set the output projection, output fov and canvas size (
> pano_modify --projection=0 --fov=AUTO --canvas=AUTO ..)

OK.

> 2.) You remap your images two times - first with align_image_stack and
> then
> with nona. This decreases the quality because the images are interpolated
> twice.
> 3.) After align_image_stack your images have no exif data. So pto_gen
> does
> not set the correct exposure values in the pto file. This is essential
> for
> zero-noise output.
>
> To see what happen open the pto file with Hugin and have a look on it.
>
> When you want to do it from command line, use
> align_image_stack -p project.pto image1.jpg image2.jpg ..
> hugin_executor --stitching --user-defined-output=zeronoise.executor
> --prefix=zn project.pto
>
> This requires align_image_stack from the repository. I committed a fix
> for
> this in changeset 47b7dd156ba.
>
> Alternatively you can use the route: pto_gen -> cpfind -> pto_var ->
> autooptimise -> pano_modify -> hugin_executor

Thanks for your guidance Thomas, I'll have another, more enlightened look
at it.