Samsung gear 360

Edmund Ong

Jun 28, 2016, 1:53:05 AM6/28/16
Hi, I am a newbie in this. I have tried using Hugin to stich the above file (taken from Samsung Gear 360) to a jpg that Google chrome  (panaroma viewer app) can view. All the mode dun seems to work. If I use this file directly it will get distorted and have a gap at the joint. Please advise on the following.
1) what mode / procedure to use in hugin
2) any panoramic viewer (offline) that is friendly and easy to be use for the less 360 savy folks (simple rotate and zoom)
3) any panoramic software that can automate the conversion from Samsung Gear 360 to Chrome (or other offline panaroma viewer)

I am a shutter happy folk who love to travel and share my photos to my relatives and friends. I hope to make it easy for them to view my 360 photos. Thanks for any help and suggestion.
360_0040 (Large).JPG
Bad stich.png

Carlos Eduardo G. Carvalho (Cartola)

Jun 28, 2016, 8:19:43 AM6/28/16
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
I have done that for Ricoh Theta S and my workflow included a first step to split the frames in two images using imagemagick. Then Hugin could understand better each file as a fisheye image and stitch it.

I don't have my script here to give you more details. From what I remember:

- separate frames from video
- split each frame in two images
- stitch one pair to use as a template
- stitch every pair with the template
- generate erect video with stitched frames

I didn't do, but I guess its possible to use enblend with fixed mask, because it takes too much time to stitch every frame having to calculate it every time.

Doesn't Samsung offer a program to do this? Ricoh theta has its own free software (for windows) that does this automatically. You can also try it.

If you have more results please publish them here. I will receive a Gear 360 in August.

Bests,

--
A list of frequently asked questions is available at: http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_FAQ

p mllc

Jun 30, 2016, 3:58:47 PM6/30/16
I did it for a french guy with hugin.
The process is to separate the main picture in two squared picture. Import them into hugin. Force objectif to circular fish eye, choose 9mm with 1x factor an then add control point and stitch (My exemple is visible here : http://www.panophoto.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=15736#p202203 source picture above).

Regards

pmllc

Edmund Ong

Jul 1, 2016, 1:44:55 AM7/1/16
Thanks for the reply, it seems that the crucial point here is to split the picture in 2 before using Hugin.
Samsung do have a software call <<Gear 360 ActionDirector>> but it can only output the mentioned jpeg to mpeg 4 videos.
I have tried using Ricoh software to view the image, but the point of sitching is bad and heavily distorted. Samsung gear 360 is great. But prepare a good SD card or your video quality will suffer.
I went for

SANDISK EXTREME microSD UHS-I CARD

Up to 90/60MB/s read/write speed, video speed C10, U3, V30

I need a multi platform plugin or a software to so that everyone that received the image can see the pictures without needing to go through all the steps in Hugin.  BTW how do you share your 360 pictures?

Edmund Ong

Jul 1, 2016, 1:50:36 AM7/1/16
Good work there. But how do I view it in 360?

Carl von Einem

Jul 1, 2016, 2:26:37 AM7/1/16
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Have a look at the list of viewers here:
http://wiki.panotools.org/Panorama_Viewers

Bruno Postle

Jul 1, 2016, 4:42:46 AM7/1/16
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
You can stitch this in Hugin without splitting the image first. You
need to load the file twice in the project and use d,e parameters and
circular fisheye cropping to isolate the two pictures. See this thread
for a similar solution:
https://groups.google.com/d/topic/hugin-ptx/sSTJ4PTOloQ/discussion

--
Bruno

Carlos Eduardo G. Carvalho (Cartola)

Jul 1, 2016, 8:43:13 AM7/1/16
to hugi...@googlegroups.com

BTW how do you share your 360 pictures?

There are many ways to share. The last one available is to directly upload it to facebook, which is very popular and accessible, but doesn't give the best experience IMHO. To do that you also need to have the right EXIF parameters, so that facebook recognizes it as a 360 image. Probably it will recognize the EXIF from Gear 360, but if it doesn't you can set them manually or just copy exif from a Ricoh Theta image, which is what I've been doing with "exiftool".

I share my 360 first in my blog, where I've already used Salado Player, #VR5 and nowadays (and since a long time already) I've been using krpano, which I still find the best plugin. It is also one of the only ways I've found to make it available for VR online. IMHO one of the best free plugin nowadays is Marzipano and you can use it online.

In a doc I've written in PT_BR I also list many sites that can receive the erect upload and will make your pano available:
I guess google plus also need adequate EXIF info and not only a 2x1 image, like many other sites.

There are also offline desktop viewers like Panini (which I use frequently in linux), DevalVR and others.

On Android cell phones I use the Google Cardboard app and you just need to name your panos correctly (like "PANO_xxx") and put it on the camera DCIM folder to experience it with VR. I don't know an offline app to navigate on a 360 image without VR. Anyone?

Carlos Eduardo G. Carvalho (Cartola)

Jul 1, 2016, 9:06:09 AM7/1/16
to hugi...@googlegroups.com

I did it for a french guy with hugin.
The process is to separate the main picture in two squared picture. Import them into hugin. Force objectif to circular fish eye, choose 9mm with 1x factor an then add control point and stitch (My exemple is visible here : http://www.panophoto.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=15736#p202203 source picture above).

Regards

pmllc

Very nice to find someone from that french forum here! I've created a Portuguese forum inspired on it in 2011 :) http://www.panoforum.com.br/

It is quite impressive the number of members and quantity of messages that you have there! I'll try to get involved with it, as it will also help me studying French ;)

Is there an English open forum dedicated to panoramic photography? I think that the IVRPA has a closed one (the open is quite poor) and kolor.com also has its own, which is obviously more focused on their tools.

Bruno Postle

Jul 1, 2016, 9:13:51 AM7/1/16
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
On 1 July 2016 at 13:42, Carlos Eduardo G. Carvalho (Cartola) wrote:

> In a doc I've written in PT_BR I also list many sites that can receive the
> erect upload and will make your pano available:
>
> http://www.360cities.net/
> http://www.tourwrist.com/
> http://www.viewat.org/?i=pt
> http://sky.easypano.com/
> http://photosynth.net/ice.aspx
> http://round.me
> http://plus.google.com
> http://www.spinattic.com/
> http://www.picbox360.com/pt
> https://kuula.co/

Also recently discovered that if you upload a Hugin equirectangular
image to Flickr then it automatically displays in a panorama viewer:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/brunopostle/27365324833/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dmswart/26523983310

--
Bruno

Carlos Eduardo G. Carvalho (Cartola)

Jul 1, 2016, 9:35:55 AM7/1/16
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Nice to know. Good to see it working here on linux firefox, but they also don't give us nor zoom nor VR :(

Very nice to see that erect drawing! Never saw one before!
--
A list of frequently asked questions is available at: http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_FAQ

p mllc

Jul 1, 2016, 3:33:31 PM7/1/16

We already known your forum and thank you to have mention us as an inspiration ;)
Do not hesitate to improve your french on our forum ;)

pmllc

Łukasz Góralczyk

Jul 31, 2016, 2:32:50 PM7/31/16

W dniu wtorek, 28 czerwca 2016 07:53:05 UTC+2 użytkownik Edmund Ong napisał:
[cut]

I've created template for Gear360 and a small script to automatically stitch files, see here:  https://github.com/ultramango/gear360pano .

Doing it with one file (without intermediate step to split the original image) is a bit tricky, but doable.

Lukasz.

Łukasz Góralczyk

Jul 31, 2016, 2:32:50 PM7/31/16
W dniu piątek, 1 lipca 2016 10:42:46 UTC+2 użytkownik Bruno Postle napisał:
You can stitch this in Hugin without splitting the image first. You
need to load the file twice in the project and use d,e parameters and
circular fisheye cropping to isolate the two pictures. See this thread
for a similar solution:
https://groups.google.com/d/topic/hugin-ptx/sSTJ4PTOloQ/discussion

Thanks for the link! I own Samsung Gear360 and was wondering if this can be done without splitting the file (this is what I was doing previously).

For the interested here's the link for small script and Hugin template to stitch files from Gear360: https://github.com/ultramango/gear360pano

Lukasz.

Message has been deleted

James Shoebottom

Aug 21, 2017, 4:26:01 AM8/21/17
Łukasz

Thanks for this. I'm very new to this 360 stitching so please bear with me to what might seem very simple questions.
I've read this post and all the updates and saw your link and the Hugin PTO plugin..

I've got a Samsung Gear 360 - 1st Gen
I've taken several photos and placed the JPEG Circular fish-eye on my desktop
I've got a Mac and installed the Hugin software
I also downloaded your plugin to automate the process to stitch a Gear 360 fisheye photo.
However, this is where I get stuck.

I downloaded the Gear360pano-master and unzipped it. I see all the files in there. When I go into Terminal on my Mac, I go to the same directory and do an 'ls' and see all the files.
According to your download page, installation instructions it says for Linux to run gear360pano.cmd *.JPEG. However when I do this I get Command not found.

Again, I'm quite new to this but I've used Terminal on Mac before so it should work. Do you know if this is the correct way to run it on the Mac, I assume I need to do it from the Terminal Command Line
rather than within Hugin?

Thanks
James

Niklas Mischkulnig

Aug 21, 2017, 6:53:40 AM8/21/17
If you are in the directory with gear360pano.cmd you need to use ./gear360pano.cmd instead of only the filename.
The example you are referring to is for Windows.

Niklas

James Shoebottom

Aug 21, 2017, 2:27:46 PM8/21/17
Ok thanks. I worked it out. If I double-click on the .pto file it opens in Hugin but complains about a missing dummy.JPG file. I then place my file to be stitched into the same folder, rename it to dummy.JPG and double-click the .pto file and all is good.

Many thanks for help. Got there in the end.

James.