hugin crashing when mask-type is changed

tbransco

Feb 27, 2015, 4:54:49 PM2/27/15
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
I'm running the win32 version of hugin 2014.0.0 on a Vista system with 4GB RAM, and trying to align and enfuse a 3-image HDR stack shot handheld.  There is four distant objects in each frame that move slightly, so I want to include these objects from my first (best exposed) image only.  There are four masks in my project, and I wish to treat each of them as an "Include" mask.  I'm afraid I don't know where to find the log files that might help isolate the problem, so was hopeful someone here could assist.  I've tried this with images in 16-bit TIFF format, and in 8-bit JPEG format, but in both cases the application crashes when I try to change a mask from one type to another.  Any ideas?

Thanks,
Terry

Terry Duell

Feb 27, 2015, 5:11:06 PM2/27/15
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Hello Terry,

On Sat, 28 Feb 2015 08:54:49 +1100, tbransco <TFTAJL...@spammotel.com>
wrote:
Just to be clear, you can create the four masks OK, but when you select
one and try to change the mask type (include or exclude) hugin crashes?

Can you provide your .pto file as an attachment?

Cheers,
Terry Duell

tbransco

Feb 27, 2015, 5:22:09 PM2/27/15
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Hello, Terry.

Correct.  I can create masks, but not change their types.  My JPEG attempt (PTO) is attached.

Terry B.
P2142611-3.pto

Terry Duell

Feb 27, 2015, 5:59:16 PM2/27/15
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Hello Terry,

On Sat, 28 Feb 2015 09:22:09 +1100, tbransco <TFTAJL...@spammotel.com>
wrote:

> Hello, Terry.
>
> Correct. I can create masks, but not change their types. My JPEG
> attempt (PTO) is attached.

I don't have any problems with your masks.
All your masks are 'exclude', and I can select each and change to
'include'.
I just ran a little test here on one of my projects and when I add a new
mask it defaults to 'include'.
I assume from the nature of your problem, that when you are adding a new
mask it defaults to 'exclude', and if this is the case maybe you can get
around your problem by adding 'exclude' masks to your second and third
images. I'm not sure if this will get you the result you need but maybe
worth a try.

It would be good to be able to isolate the cause of your problem.
The problem may be related to your images. Are you able to provide your
jpeg images for me (or others) to test? (Low quality or downsized, would
be preferred to minimize the download, and via dropbox or similar so only
those who wish to can download them)

Terry Duell

Feb 27, 2015, 6:13:42 PM2/27/15
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Hello Terry,

On Sat, 28 Feb 2015 08:54:49 +1100, tbransco <TFTAJL...@spammotel.com>
wrote:

[snip]

> I'm afraid I don't know where to find the log files that
> might help isolate the problem, so was hopeful someone here could assist.

File -> Preferences, set "Copy log messages to clipboard", then after
crash paste into editor.
This might help isolate the cause.

Terry Duell

Feb 27, 2015, 6:34:52 PM2/27/15
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Hello Terry,
Sorry to be coming back again and again, but not everything comes to mind
immediately.

On Sat, 28 Feb 2015 08:54:49 +1100, tbransco <TFTAJL...@spammotel.com>
wrote:

[snip]

> but in both cases the application crashes when I try to change a
> mask from one type to another. Any ideas?

The default mask type appears to set from that which was last used, and it
looks like it is 'DefaultMaskType' which (in Linux) is in your .hugin file.
A quick test reveals that DefaultMaskType=1, means that it will be
'include' and DefaultMaskType=0 will be 'exclude.
So, I would guess that if you can't get around your problem by other
reasonable means, a workaround may be to edit your .hugin file and set
DefaultMaskType=1 then start hugin and then add your 'include' masks to
your first image.
I don't know where the equivalent of the .hugin file is saved on the
Windows version, and a quick look at the wiki didn't help.

tbransco

Feb 27, 2015, 7:03:44 PM2/27/15
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Hey, no worries, Terry.  I'm just happy someone like you is willing to help me out!

I'm not used to this forum software, so if this reply is out of place, I apologize.  This edit window is opening right underneath my original post, and not under the "coming back" post by TDuell where it belongs.  Anyway, let's see how it goes.

I've left my three downsized JPEGs on Dropbox in this folder: hugin_ptx folder

I configured my Preferences as you suggested, restarted Hugin, and triggered the error, but nothing was captured in the clipboard, I'm afraid.

Cheers, and thanks for the help.

Terry B

Terry Duell

Feb 27, 2015, 7:57:03 PM2/27/15
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Hello Terry,

On Sat, 28 Feb 2015 11:03:43 +1100, tbransco <TFTAJL...@spammotel.com>
wrote:

> Hey, no worries, Terry. I'm just happy someone like you is willing to
> help me out!
>
> I'm not used to this forum software, so if this reply is out of place, I
> apologize. This edit window is opening right underneath my original
> post, and not under the "coming back" post by TDuell where it belongs.
> Anyway,
> let's see how it goes.

Another way to handle this is to edit your Google group preferences for
Hugin-PTX and have posts sent to you as email, then you can prepare your
reply in your mailer.

> I've left my three downsized JPEGs on Dropbox in this folder: hugin_ptx
> folder
> <https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5ima6pdcalcprl2/AADNVrIhJVPnCYteJXxqZUKma?dl=0>

I'm not having much joy with these downsized images.
Did you try them to see if they give you the same behaviour?
They all look OK, but I can't get CPFind to find any control points with
the stack setting you had in the .pto you provided.
I note that in your .pto you have a different lens set for each image. Did
hugin automatically provide the lens and stack settings for each image, or
did you do that manually?

> I configured my Preferences as you suggested, restarted Hugin, and
> triggered the error, but nothing was captured in the clipboard, I'm
> afraid.

OK.
I still can't find where the Windows version of hugin saves it's settings
file (.hugin in linux), but there may be a way around it. Start another
project, probably only need one image, and add a mask, try to change the
mask type to 'include', then save the project and quit.
If this works OK, restart hugin and try another new project and check that
default mask type is 'include'. You should now be able to start hugin with
your hdr images and add 'include' masks, and hopefully this will get you
past that problem.

tbransco

Feb 27, 2015, 9:21:19 PM2/27/15
to hugi...@googlegroups.com

wrote:

> I'm not used to this forum software, so if this reply is out of place, I
> apologize.  This edit window is opening right underneath my original
> post, and not under the "coming back" post by TDuell where it belongs.

Another way to handle this is to edit your Google group preferences for
Hugin-PTX and have posts sent to you as email, then you can prepare your
reply in your mailer.

I'll try that, thanks.  I also found I had been clicking the wrong 'post reply' icon (the big red one at top of this page, rather than the one I hadn't seen at the far right of each post.

> I've left my three downsized JPEGs on Dropbox in this folder: hugin_ptx
> folder
> <https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5ima6pdcalcprl2/AADNVrIhJVPnCYteJXxqZUKma?dl=0>

I'm not having much joy with these downsized images.
Did you try them to see if they give you the same behaviour?
They all look OK, but I can't get CPFind to find any control points with
the stack setting you had in the .pto you provided.

I was using 'align_image_stack' myself, and it generated ~70 CPs.

I note that in your .pto you have a different lens set for each image. Did
hugin automatically provide the lens and stack settings for each image, or
did you do that manually?

I did that manually after reading some posts here on stacking workflow, and it seems to have worked for me

> I configured my Preferences as you suggested, restarted Hugin, and
> triggered the error, but nothing was captured in the clipboard, I'm
> afraid.

OK.

I still can't find where the Windows version of hugin saves it's settings
file (.hugin in linux), but there may be a way around it. Start another
project, probably only need one image, and add a mask, try to change the
mask type to 'include', then save the project and quit.
If this works OK, restart hugin and try another new project and check that
default mask type is 'include'. You should now be able to start hugin with
your hdr images and add 'include' masks, and hopefully this will get you
past that problem.

This bit of magic did change my default mask type to Include for new projects, but I was also able to load my problem project and change the mask type of each of the four masks.  The bad news is that Hugin now crashes when I click the 'Stitch' button.  Geeesh.

Cheers,
Terry Duell

Cheers, Terry.

Terry B

Terry Duell

Feb 27, 2015, 9:23:48 PM2/27/15
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Hello Terry,

On Sat, 28 Feb 2015 11:56:50 +1100, Terry Duell <tdu...@iinet.net.au>
wrote:

[snip]

> I'm not having much joy with these downsized images.

Greatcoats off! I now have your small images working here.
The problem I had was due to a silly error on my part...I hadn't unlinked
positions for the images in the stack.
It all works OK here, no crash, so your problem may be more fundamental.
Probably a good idea to put in a bug report, here
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/hugin>.
I have attached the .pto from my efforts with your small files. I only
used 3 masks.
Have you had any success with using exclude masks or resetting the default
mask type?
P2142611_sm - P2142613_sm.pto

tbransco

Feb 28, 2015, 5:44:30 PM2/28/15
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the effort, Terry.  Still no joy on this end, despite success with changing default mask type (thanks again for that tip).  Hugin still crashes, just later in the process, i.e., after the masks are created and I click 'Stitch'.  I'll try filing a bug report, as you recommend.

Cheers,
Terry B

Terry Duell

Feb 28, 2015, 6:01:45 PM2/28/15
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, 01 Mar 2015 09:44:30 +1100, tbransco <tftajl...@spammotel.com>
wrote:

> Thanks for the effort, Terry. Still no joy on this end, despite success
> with changing default mask type (thanks again for that tip). Hugin still
> crashes, just later in the process, i.e., after the masks are created
> and I
> click 'Stitch'. I'll try filing a bug report, as you recommend.

OK, there's a problem somewhere that needs to be found.
A crash when stitching should give you some error reporting. Anything in a
log file?
Which processor are you using, "hugin_stitch_project" or "PTBatcherGUI" ?
It might be worth trying the other processor to see if that works OK, and
whatever happens it will enable you to provide additional helpful info in
the bug report.

tbransco

Feb 28, 2015, 10:40:32 PM2/28/15
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Same as before: no log file is copied to the clipboard when this crash occurs.  Windows, however, does throw up a message box hinting that the error occurs in the library 'huginbase.dll'.  FWIW, I downloaded LuminanceHDR, but it too crashes on these same images when I elect to use its 'Auto anti-ghosting" feature, or try to add a mask of my own with its "brush" tool.  I've yet to try its "Lasso" tool, but I'm not holding my breath.  My files are jinxed, apparently.

Terry B

tbransco

Mar 2, 2015, 5:19:23 PM3/2/15
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
To tie this thread off, i am happy to relate that I can now use Masks with these images.  I can't put my finger on the precise steps it took to achieve this, but some combination of altering the default mask type (explained above), setting the default mask type (temporarily) to "include from stack",  deleting the existing masks, and trying "exclude masks" on images 2 and 3 again, did the trick.  I hope this helps anyone troubleshoot similar issues.

Cheers, and thanks again to TDuell (Terry) for the guidance,  It helped immensely.
Terry B

Gnome Nomad

Mar 3, 2015, 2:46:12 AM3/3/15
to hugin-ptx

I have sometimes had masking (multiple masks of various types) get to acting so weird I just had to delete them all and start over.

--
A list of frequently asked questions is available at: http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_FAQ