Fails on Catalina

Bill Meador

Aug 11, 2020, 5:00:32 PM8/11/20
Cannot get this software to work in any form on Mac Catalina 10.15.5 or later.  Always crashes saying it cannot find "the working directory".  Wanted to put it to use and if good upgrade to the paid version they say they offer...........no such luck.

I would suggest removing from Mac downloads!

AKS-Gmail-IMAP

Aug 11, 2020, 6:13:57 PM8/11/20
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Hugin does work on Mac Catalina. You need to manually grant Hugin “Full Disk Access” in the Privacy tab of the OS X System Preferences, Security & Privacy. Apple made a security change that the Hugin OS X build has yet to figure out and catch up with in regard to making the OS X build install with that setting.

--
A list of frequently asked questions is available at: http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_FAQ

Bill Meador

Aug 11, 2020, 7:29:13 PM8/11/20
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Appreciate the feedback, and I will give it another try.  Had set everything I could find to allow permissions, but maybe I missed a step.

Bill
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "hugin and other free panoramic software" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hugin-ptx/D3A9BD36-114D-4F8E-831F-731F78CBE3A7%40gmail.com.

Bill Meador

Aug 12, 2020, 12:06:00 PM8/12/20
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Beg to differ with you, but it does not work with Catalina…….I do have Full Disc Access enabled, I do have Allow Internet applications to run, but it fails and crashes every time with “could not open project file” error message (screen shot attached).

Bill

On August 11, 2020 at 5:13:58 PM, AKS-Gmail-IMAP (akse...@gmail.com) wrote:

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "hugin and other free panoramic software" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hugin-ptx/D3A9BD36-114D-4F8E-831F-731F78CBE3A7%40gmail.com.
Screen Shot 2020-08-12 at 11.00.04 AM.png

Stanley Green

Aug 12, 2020, 1:02:59 PM8/12/20
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
It works on my iMac.  I am having trouble finding the instructions, but as soon as I find them, I’ll send them to you.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hugin-ptx/CALixigcXQwk%2BeKUvxL7HLeZy6W8WDt4XJBEBZH7BYJY04pPsSg%40mail.gmail.com.
<Screen Shot 2020-08-12 at 11.00.04 AM.png>

Stanley Green

Aug 12, 2020, 1:11:28 PM8/12/20
to hugi...@googlegroups.com

Specifically for me, allowing the “Full Disk Access” Privacy setting for Hugin results in Hugin showing up as allowed in the “Files and Folders” Privacy list. Hugin was not previously in the “Files and Folders” Privacy list and the +/- controls for that list remained dimmed regardless of the administrator’s padlock status. PTBatcherGUI was already in the Files and Folders” Privacy list with checked options for "Removable Volumes" and "Desktop Folder”. Adding Hugin eliminated the hang. I could reinstate the hang by unchecking Hugin in the “Full Disk Access” Privacy setting.

Bill Meador

Aug 12, 2020, 2:48:51 PM8/12/20
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Nope, even added everything in the Hugin folder to Full Disk Access, the program will not run on my brand new iMac Catalina 10.15.5. Crashes every single time with the same error message:

“Could not open project file:/Users/briar/Desktop/1BM_4873-1BM_4880.pto.”

That is the file name suggested by the program, and whether or not I change it to something else does not matter, it still fails.

The software has major faults!

Bill

dgjohnston

Aug 12, 2020, 2:52:49 PM8/12/20
to Hugin Pano
Just as a word of encouragement I’m running Catalina 10.15.6 on an older Mac and Hugin runs for me.

Don

Stanley Green

Aug 12, 2020, 3:00:19 PM8/12/20
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
I am not experiencing your problem, runs fine.
iMac 2019 (3.7 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5), Catalina 10.15.6, Radeon Pro 580x Graphics card 8G.

This is my full Access Disk Access screen.  Selecting “PTBatcherGUI” is critical.

Bill Meador

Aug 12, 2020, 3:13:10 PM8/12/20
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Not so here, but appreciate the info…….I’m running a 21.5” i3 Retina display 2019 iMac….Catalina 10.15.5, have Hugin, PTIBatcherGUI, as well as the rest of the things in the Hugin folder granted full access……no go every time.  I downloaded the Hugin 2019.2.0.dmg installer…….maybe an issue with it.  Wil look on their download page for other options, beyond that will look for another program I guess.

Bill
93ABAC76-3B6D-46BD-B5F0-77B7428EAC83@home.png

David W. Jones

Aug 12, 2020, 4:28:02 PM8/12/20
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Hmm, yet the software works in Catalina 10.15.6 according to others on the list.

Since your Mac is brand new, why is it running an older 10.15.5 Catalina? Maybe an update is in order? Could be the fault is in the older Catalina.
David W. Jones
gnome...@gmail.com
wandering the landscape of god
http://dancingtreefrog.com

Sent from my Android device with F/LOSS K-9 Mail.

Bill Meador

Aug 12, 2020, 5:19:54 PM8/12/20
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Could be, haven’t upgraded on recommendation from Apple Senior Tech Advisor……..said may cause issues with Adobe Creative Suite subscription as the Adobe products are inherently behind the Mac OS changes.  Will put stuff on a time machine and try the update.

Thanks for the Suggestion,

Bill
--
A list of frequently asked questions is available at: http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_FAQ

Gunter Königsmann

Aug 12, 2020, 5:35:46 PM8/12/20
to hugi...@googlegroups.com, David W. Jones
To me the "project file not found" slightly rings a bell. There was a thread about a similar error quite a while ago. I seem to remenber it contained a solution.

Where do you tell the computer to save the .pto files before rendering. Not that we have a "unicode-in-username-and-therefore-in-homedir-name" type of problem or similar.

Bill Meador

Aug 12, 2020, 5:58:39 PM8/12/20
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
In the dialog box that pops up after i click the “Create Panorama” button.....nothing fancy, just using the 1,2,3 steps of Load Images, Align, and Create.

Know nothing of any other “threads”, doing 10.15.6 update now, then will one last time before moving on.

Bill

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 12, 2020, at 4:35 PM, Gunter Königsmann <gunter.ko...@gmail.com> wrote:

To me the "project file not found" slightly rings a bell. There was a thread about a similar error quite a while ago. I seem to remenber it contained a solution.
--
A list of frequently asked questions is available at: http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_FAQ

AKS-Gmail-IMAP

Aug 12, 2020, 10:08:45 PM8/12/20
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
When choosing the pro filename either remove all the space characters or use underscore characters instead. The pro filename should not contain any space characters.

AlainC

Aug 13, 2020, 4:10:00 AM8/13/20
aks is right : any blank or accented character in pto name or path will fail, keep using simple ASCII for file and directory names
Hugin and Adobe CS work fine with last Catalina as soon you setup security grants.

Bill Meador

Aug 13, 2020, 4:59:37 AM8/13/20
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
I understand, but I didn’t  change the file name the last two times if crashed, left it at the Hugin default.

Will try with Catalina 10.15.6 when get up tomorrow.....shooting the Perseids right now.

 Bill

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 13, 2020, at 3:10 AM, AlainC <al...@alain-collet.com> wrote:

aks is right : any blank or accented character in pto name or path will fail, keep using simple ASCII for file and directory names
Hugin and Adobe CS work fine with last Catalina as soon you setup security grants.

--
A list of frequently asked questions is available at: http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_FAQ

Bill Meador

Aug 13, 2020, 1:13:17 PM8/13/20
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Well, upgraded to 10.15.6, download a fresh installer, Set Privacy to allow all programs to run and set all three Hugin apps to full disc access.  Ran the program, loaded images, did an align, chose to Create Panorama, got the dialog box for saving the .pto and named it Hug for saving in the same folder as the imaged (that is the default), got the dialog box for naming the panorama image, called it Hug also (keeping with the suggested simple naming conventions).

CRASHED immediately after saying ok to the saving boxes…….same error as before (see attached).

This software has serious flaws folks, you’ll notice that the error message references a file name unrelated to anything I typed in.  For sure will no longer consider buying the professional paid version, if they can’t get freeware to work that would be flushing money down the drain.

Respects,

Bill

On August 13, 2020 at 3:10:05 AM, AlainC (al...@alain-collet.com) wrote:

aks is right : any blank or accented character in pto name or path will fail, keep using simple ASCII for file and directory names
Hugin and Adobe CS work fine with last Catalina as soon you setup security grants.

--
Hugin Bunk.png

Luís Henrique Camargo Quiroz

Aug 13, 2020, 2:39:38 PM8/13/20
to hugi...@googlegroups.com

  Hi Bill,

  I don't use Apple, but the error is very clear, as you can see in the picture: there are spaces in the project name, and it was not Hug, but "1BM_4873 - 1BM_4880.pto". This is the "default" name, which you can at least make without spaces, going to preferences/fine names.
  Are you sure you named your project as Hug.pto?
  And about "For sure will no longer consider buying the professional paid version, [...]" you are wrong, Hugin is 100% free, there is no paid version anywhere! Or else someone is deceiving you.

  If you try once more, good luck, and you can be sure many in this list you help you gladly and for free. And some are very clever and knowledgeable about Hugin and panoramic photography!

   regards,

   Luis Henrique

Luís Henrique Camargo Quiroz

Aug 13, 2020, 2:42:56 PM8/13/20
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
  Superfluous, but I meant  FIle/Preferences/File Names tab :)

Bill Meador

Aug 13, 2020, 2:55:45 PM8/13/20
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, and will try your suggestion....as for paid version, it was called PTIgui Pro I think, saw it on a web site for panorama software reviews.

Bill

Sent from my iPhone

AKS-Gmail-IMAP

Aug 13, 2020, 3:11:50 PM8/13/20
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
You have fallen sprang right up into a couple of pitfalls without getting the satisfaction of seeing Hugin’s magic. But you are still trying, which is good because it means you can keep working during later troubles.

I believe you have Hugin and PTBatcherGUI stuck in a funk.

You should double check the system access settings. I re-downloaded Hugin thinking that perhaps your’s might be fresher and I was surprised to see OS X had “unchecked” Hugin’s privileges on my system.

You are using Hugin’s “Simple” interface. The Simple interface hides Hugin’s complexity. Hugin is a conductor application that passes the images through a number of individual image programs. The Create Panorama, known as Stitching, is a handoff of the PTO file, an instruction script, to the PTBatcherGUI program. The mechanism for individual image programs to process images is a text string instruction to the operating system to execute the program just like you would do manually for a command line execution. Whitespace, ie space characters, is what the computer system uses to separate the text instructions in the command line. Having space characters in filenames, which are of course part of the command arguments being passed at every process step in the stitch process, is the bane of all schemes that need to pass arguments. That handoff to PTBatcherGUI involved a script file and a state file in a temporary scratch space on your system. The PTBatcherGUI window loaded behind Hugin. You might have seen it. Due to the crash the state file PTBatcherGUI uses remains in the scratch space. PTBatcherGUI knows to tell you about it on subsequent runs, but it never gets that far in the funk it is in. Keep in mind the system access setting or the file name spaces can cause the crash.

Prior to knowing about the OS X system access settings issue the workaround for Catalina users is to start PTBatcherGUI ahead of time. In other words have it running so that Hugin does not need to start it. The Hugin to PTBatcherGUI handoff would work fine in that condition. Spaces in the filename could still be a problem.

Run PTBatcherGUI and remove all the failed projects in its projects list. You can do that be pressing the minus button while the file project is selected.

With PTBatcherGUI still running, run your Hugin and have it make the Panorama with no spaces in the file name. You will see the project pass through PTBatcherGUI if the project takes long enough for you to see it show up.

Later on you can close out PTBatcherGUI and try another Hugin project to see if the PTBatcherGUI startup and handoff goes smoothly.

Best of luck.

Bill Meador

Aug 13, 2020, 5:41:08 PM8/13/20
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Ok, cleaned it all off, did a reinstall.  When I have time next couple of days I’ll go through all your suggestions as a last ditch effort.

Thanks,

Bill

David W. Jones

Aug 13, 2020, 6:45:06 PM8/13/20
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
As far as I know, what you're calling a "paid version" of Hugin is a completely different program.

--
David W. Jones
gnome...@gmail.com
wandering the landscape of god
http://dancingtreefrog.com

Sent from my Android device with F/LOSS K-9 Mail.

Bill Meador

Aug 13, 2020, 8:02:46 PM8/13/20
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Could be, but the reviewer referenced PTIGui Pro and Hugin as having the same source code engine.....maybe I read too much into it, as Hugin uses PTIGui to do the stitching as I understand it. Possibly an open source link I don’t see.

Matters not except that if Hugin does not work and uses “PTIGui” , then something called PTIGui Pro is not a way I want to go.

Bill

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 13, 2020, at 5:45 PM, David W. Jones <gnome...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> As far as I know, what you're calling a "paid version" of Hugin is a completely different program.
> --
> A list of frequently asked questions is available at: http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_FAQ
> ---

David W. Jones

Aug 13, 2020, 8:30:43 PM8/13/20
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Well, their product is PTGui Pro - no "I". I noticed that their most recent "beta" dates back to 2019.

I didn't see anything on their site about it using the same source code engine. Hugin's panorama engine is the open-source panotools. They could be using that. But Hugin is primarily a user interface to panotools.

Hugin doesn't use PTGui to stitch. It uses PTBatcherGUI, I think.

They claim copyright on their products, with no mention of open source, so my guess is they have their own codebase for their user interface to panotools.

It's also possible the reviewer you mentioned was just confusing PTGui with Hugin.

At $153US, I'm not going to try their product. I've generated gigapixel panoramas using Hugin on Linux.

Hey, list folk - if I recall correctly, Hugin can be set to use a command line stitcher, instead of Hugin's GUI stitcher, right? If so, would that help Bill on his Mac?

On August 13, 2020 2:02:39 PM HST, Bill Meador <bpcr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>Could be, but the reviewer referenced PTIGui Pro and Hugin as having
>the same source code engine.....maybe I read too much into it, as Hugin
>uses PTIGui to do the stitching as I understand it. Possibly an open
>source link I don’t see.
>
>Matters not except that if Hugin does not work and uses “PTIGui” , then
>something called PTIGui Pro is not a way I want to go.
>
>Bill

David W. Jones

Aug 13, 2020, 8:45:21 PM8/13/20
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
This is the only reference to open source that I found at PTGui Pro's site:

"3.8. Will PTGui read RAW files from camera XXX?

PTGui uses the open source LibRaw library for decoding raw files. See Supported Cameras on the LibRaw website for a list of cameras supported by LibRaw. PTGui can only read raw files supported by LibRaw. If LibRaw does not support your camera, use a dedicated raw converter to convert the images to 16 bit TIFF."

So they're a completely different program from Hugin and don't use panotools. The confused reviewer jumped from 'PTGui uses one open source library' to 'PTGui is open source'.

Bill Meador

Aug 14, 2020, 3:08:57 PM8/14/20
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Not sure about the reviewer, they play to their own band I guess when it comes to assumptions.

I just finally got a panorama, had to do the following steps to get it to work:

-  Downloaded new installer
-  Set File Vault to “Allow apps downloaded from Anywhere”
-  Ran installer
-  Set Disc Permissions for Hugin, PTBatcherGui, and HuginStitchProject to full access
-  Started the Batcher first
-  Started Hugin and reset Default file names for projects and output to HugX (the X is to remind me to number after done)
-  Loaded images, performed Align, then Created Panorama

Finally worked, so will take a month off (just kidding) and then try to learn how to change perspectives, straighten, Crop, and other such tools……

Appreciated all who offered assistance, including your patience.  Best wishes for a great weekend!

Respects,

Bill
--
A list of frequently asked questions is available at: http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_FAQ