Hugin vs Photoshop?

Gloom Demon

Jun 19, 2016, 5:53:51 PM6/19/16
What is the difference between making panoramas in Hugin and doing them in Photoshop (GIMP)?

Does Photoshop make them better? If not - why the hassle?

Terry Duell

Jun 19, 2016, 7:14:25 PM6/19/16
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Hello Gloom,

On Mon, 20 Jun 2016 04:14:08 +1000, Gloom Demon <gloom...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> What is the difference between making panoramas in Hugin and doing them
> in Photoshop (GIMP)?

I think there are (were) some plugins for Gimp, but they don't appear to
be as functional as Hugin, and suspect they are no longer being developed.
I don't use Photoshop.

> Does Photoshop make them better? If not - why the hassle?

Photoshop users may be able to answer that, but suspect that on this forum
the answer is...Hugin :-)
Why indeed!

Cheers,
Terry Duell

Greg 'groggy' Lehey

Jun 19, 2016, 7:21:49 PM6/19/16
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
On Sunday, 19 June 2016 at 11:14:08 -0700, Gloom Demon wrote:
> What is the difference between making panoramas in Hugin and doing them in
> Photoshop (GIMP)?

Those are two different products, of course. I don't know the
details, but I suspect there would be a long list of differences.

> Does Photoshop make them better?

Last time I heard, no, much worse. but that was a long time ago, and
I'm sure things have improved. But how much?

> If not - why the hassle?

If not, because you then have no choice. If so, Photoshop still costs
an arm and a leg. If you have Photoshop, why not do a comparison and
report back?

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.
Finger gr...@FreeBSD.org for PGP public key.

Frederic Da Vitoria

Jun 20, 2016, 2:10:49 AM6/20/16
to hugin-ptx
On Sunday, 19 June 2016 at 11:14:08 -0700, Gloom Demon wrote:
> What is the difference between making panoramas in Hugin and doing them in
> Photoshop (GIMP)?

Those are two different products, of course.  I don't know the
details, but I suspect there would be a long list of differences.

> Does Photoshop make them better?

Last time I heard, no, much worse.  but that was a long time ago, and
I'm sure things have improved.  But how much?

> If not - why the hassle?

If not, because you then have no choice.  If so, Photoshop still costs
an arm and a leg.  If you have Photoshop, why not do a comparison and
report back?

Also, I wonder if the answer wouldn't depend on how the panorama was taken. Photoshop might be better at hiding glitches in a panorama taken without a pano head, for example. So if someone ever does tests, testing different scenarios would make the test more meaningful.

--
Frederic Da Vitoria
(davitof)

Greg 'groggy' Lehey

Jun 20, 2016, 3:06:00 AM6/20/16
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
On Monday, 20 June 2016 at 8:10:33 +0200, Frederic Da Vitoria wrote:

>> On Sunday, 19 June 2016 at 11:14:08 -0700, Gloom Demon wrote:
>>>
>>> Does Photoshop make them better?
>
> Also, I wonder if the answer wouldn't depend on how the panorama was
> taken. Photoshop might be better at hiding glitches in a panorama
> taken without a pano head, for example. So if someone ever does
> tests, testing different scenarios would make the test more
> meaningful.

Based on reports I heard about earlier versions, this is an area where
Photoshop was weak. But as I said, a comparison would be good, and if
there are areas where Photoshop is better, it would be clearly
something to address in Hugin.
signature.asc

Kurt Hillig

Jun 20, 2016, 8:56:16 AM6/20/16

On Sunday, June 19, 2016 at 5:53:51 PM UTC-4, Gloom Demon wrote:
What is the difference between making panoramas in Hugin and doing them in Photoshop (GIMP)?

Does Photoshop make them better? If not - why the hassle?

I've used both for many years, and found several advantages of Hugin over Photoshop (CC 2014):

1) The ability to edit control points.   With Photoshop you click the button and the software does the rest; if it mis-assigns control points you can't do anything about it.  With Hugin you can find and delete erroneous control points and manually add new ones.  (See, for example, my skyscapes here: http://kwhillig.zenfolio.com/p1032900952 - all of which required manually matching stars in overlapping images to generate control points.  The results from Photoshop were highly amusing...)

2) Control over the projection.  Photoshop has a very limited set of projections available, Hugin has many more - for example Panini and Thoby, both of which I've used.  If you want to see whether a fisheye or cylindrical or equisolid or Mercator projection gives you the look you want, use Hugin.

3) Incremental refinement.  Since I shoot most panoramas hand-held there are often parallax errors in the near foreground (generally in unimportant areas).  So I start by optimizing only positions, then recenter and level the result, then delete bad control points and manually add new ones as needed, then go on to add the view and barrel distortion followed by one more round of control point editing, and then finish with "Everything Except Position".  This almost always succeeds in cases where full optimization in one step fails - and when iterative refinement fails it's usually because I've included a bad image.

That said, Photoshop is very good for things that Hugin isn't designed to do; and in many cases it does generate excellent panoramas.  But if you need to tweak the parameters to get what you want, then you should use Hugin.  My usual workflow is this:

Raw -> Photoshop ACR -> 16-bit TIFF -> Hugin -> 16-bit TIFF -> Photoshop -> Print

Carlos Eduardo G. Carvalho (Cartola)

Jun 20, 2016, 10:14:24 AM6/20/16
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Also the last time I've seen (a long time ago) Photoshop was not able to do full sphere panoramas.

--
A list of frequently asked questions is available at: http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_FAQ

Erik Krause

Jun 20, 2016, 11:10:58 AM6/20/16
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Am 20.06.2016 um 14:53 schrieb Kurt Hillig:
> Photoshop is very good for things that Hugin isn't designed to
> do;

Except for Auto Blend Layers, where photoshop does a better seam
optimization, produces smoother gradients and is faster than smartblend
or enblend. Unfortunately it doesn't blend across the 360° seam.

--
Erik Krause