Just a thank you, and faking a shorter exposure

Alister Ling

Jul 4, 2016, 7:48:13 PM7/4/16
I am overdue to saying THANK YOU to the community here.

Although some things have been hard fought (it's tough getting through a thick skull), re, re, re-reading the enfuse manual, and re-reading the advice from Chris Spiel, and going back to basics with Erik Krause's enfuse droplet to vary one parameter while keeping others constant, I have got it working well for my niche use of a full Moon over a city. Despite Chris' advice of making sure to include a shorter exposure, I kept trying to adjust the exposure-cutoff to get the results I wanted. The trick is that I wanted to keep the brightest part of the Moon from overexposing, but even my shortest exposure clipped in the red, so my efforts could not work. In a moment of weakness, I let my stubborn streak die to find Chris' solution staring back at me. A shorter exposure was indeed the way to go.

I managed to figure out how to fake a shorter exposure by cutting the brightness of the shortest one, deleting the clipping red channel, cloning the green channel, modulating its brightness up a bit to simulate the redder light with a Moon low to the horizon, and pumping that into the red channel.Bingo! the-moon: how-to-fake-an-underexposure

Not only will I now make sure I include a shorter exposure in my bracket, but I can save earlier events.

Much appreciated. I have learned a lot.
Regards,
Alister.