Unable to calibrate lens

Victor L

Jan 13, 2015, 12:41:27 PM1/13/15
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I'm trying to calibrate a Kiron FD 28mm f2 on my Sony A7.
Unfortunately the line detection doesn't work on my picture.

https://mega.co.nz/#!5UM2EBLT!Dx2KfNUN1XaOU7ojUGQTVulPoksnTqCcx6G3nY2cjyg
https://mega.co.nz/#!5UM2EBLT!Dx2KfNUN1XaOU7ojUGQTVulPoksnTqCcx6G3nY2cjyg

I think the contrast is good enough in my sample TIFF files but the problem is that the lines are crossing.
Is there a way to manually draw the lines like in older versions?

Bye

Victor L

Jan 14, 2015, 12:55:19 PM1/14/15
to hugi...@googlegroups.com

Well I cheated and I have drawn bezier curves on top of the images with GIMP and then exported the black lines (on a white background) it worked and the lens correction is ok.

Victor L

Jan 17, 2015, 9:33:29 AM1/17/15
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Well even with that trick the calibration module is quite un-usable; am I using it wrong? Even with the simplest image it doesn't work well; why isn't the user able to draw the lines manually?
I think I'm just going to compile an old version where it was still possible.. !

Terry Duell

Jan 17, 2015, 5:59:35 PM1/17/15
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Hello Victor,

On Sun, 18 Jan 2015 01:33:29 +1100, Victor L <victor....@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Well even with that trick the calibration module is quite un-usable; am I
> using it wrong? Even with the simplest image it doesn't work well; why
> isn't the user able to draw the lines manually?
> I think I'm just going to compile an old version where it was still
> possible.. !

Are you not able to do a "manual" calibration as per the tutorial
<http://hugin.sourceforge.net/tutorials/calibration/en.shtml>?

Cheers,
Terry Duell

Victor L

Jan 18, 2015, 3:08:21 PM1/18/15
to hugi...@googlegroups.com

The optimizer always warns about big results and output crazy values:
266.783, 497,011, 1327.19

Terry Duell

Jan 18, 2015, 4:07:44 PM1/18/15
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Hello Victor,

On Mon, 19 Jan 2015 07:08:21 +1100, Victor L <victor....@gmail.com>
wrote:

> The optimizer always warns about big results and output crazy values:
> 266.783, 497,011, 1327.19
>
> <https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-VT_3lz7bIq0/VLwSjyRW_0I/AAAAAAAAJKY/fCkdwUGonGo/s1600/hugin.jpg>

That doesn't look right to me.
For a line you don't use the same point in each view.
Have another look at the simple lens calibration tutorial, and carefully
note how the points are placed.