optimizer tab

Michael Havens

Sep 27, 2016, 9:32:11 PM9/27/16
Thanks for showing me how to get to it. Now I need to know how to figure out the yaw, pitch, and roll. I mean I have some images loaded but... I think i figured it out. How does it rotate yaw though? I understand roll and pitch I think. Help me understand.

Sean Greenslade

Sep 28, 2016, 12:33:58 AM9/28/16
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Yaw is simply the "twist" of the camera. Holding the camera in normal
landscape mode is yaw=0, and when you hold the camera in portrait mode,
your yaw=90. Makes sense?

--Sean

JKEngineer

Sep 28, 2016, 7:46:21 AM9/28/16
Yaw is rotation about the vertical axis - essentially the "compass" direction.
Roll is rotation about the horizontal front to rear axis - essentially tilt around the lens - what Sean described, but called it yaw.
Pitch is rotation about the horizontal side to side axis - whether the lens is pointing up or down.

JK

Sean Greenslade

Sep 29, 2016, 11:44:58 AM9/29/16
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
On September 28, 2016 7:46:20 AM EDT, 'JKEngineer' via hugin and other free panoramic software <hugi...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>Yaw is rotation about the vertical axis - essentially the "compass"
>direction.
>Roll is rotation about the horizontal front to rear axis - essentially
>tilt
>around the lens - what Sean described, but called it yaw.
>Pitch is rotation about the horizontal side to side axis - whether the
>lens
>is pointing up or down.
>
>JK

Sorry, yes, I had a complete brainfart. I described roll in my previous mail. Yaw is equivalent to panning on a fixed tripod, and pitch is equivalent to up and down tilt on a fixed tripod.

I imagined there being confusion with regards to roll since it's not a motion that's easy to accomplish on a tripod.

--Sean

John Muccigrosso

Oct 2, 2016, 11:46:57 AM10/2/16
I always like to remember the original usage for airplanes (OK, it was really ships):

  1. Pitch is how far up or down the plane/boat's nose is pointed.
  2. Roll is how much the plane is tilted to the left or right (tipping the plane/ship left and right).
  3. Yaw is the other one. :-)
Pitch and roll have essentially the obvious meaning from their usual usage. It's yaw that isn't used outside this context.

Steve Edmonds

Oct 14, 2016, 2:34:42 AM10/14/16
Yaw is the width of the harbour entrance, side to side.

John Muccigrosso

Oct 14, 2016, 9:58:39 AM10/14/16
Getting OT here, but I hadn't heard that one before. Citation?

Steve Edmonds

Oct 14, 2016, 3:55:13 PM10/14/16
Very log ago I heard it used.
From dictionary yaw" (be) definition: to be wide open. ... to open wide; "gape"
Was applied in this meaning to a wide open harbour or river mount. Just trying to add text to your point 3.

John Muccigrosso

Oct 16, 2016, 1:39:54 PM10/16/16
Thanks. It's just that I didn't see that meaning in the OED, so I was curious.

bugbear

Oct 17, 2016, 4:49:22 AM10/17/16
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
John Muccigrosso wrote:
> Thanks. It's just that I didn't see that meaning in the OED, so I was curious.

It's very common for "normal" dictionaries not to have highly technical
or trade/craft specific meanings. I take part in discussions on pre 1950 woodwork,
and many words (some of them apparently common) have specific meanings
in the craft which you won't find in a normal dictionary, regardless of its
size/scope.

BugBear

John Muccigrosso

Oct 17, 2016, 10:16:48 AM10/17/16
Some might dispute the categorization of the OED as "normal." :-)

But if the use of yaw to mean harbor mouth appeared anywhere in literature (or lots of other places), it would be in there. It isn't, AFAICT. (And this is going way off topic, so I'll stop now.)

David W. Jones

Oct 20, 2016, 5:11:14 AM10/20/16
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
And this illustrates it very well, courtesy of a little known agency
that seems to know a little bit about aircraft:

https://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/k-12/airplane/yaw.html

--
David W. Jones
gnome...@gmail.com