Writing tutorials?

Donald Johnston

Aug 14, 2015, 10:14:14 PM8/14/15
to Hugin Pano
If I write a tutorial for hugin how would I publish it to the tutorials page?

Terry Duell

Aug 14, 2015, 10:43:40 PM8/14/15
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Hello Donald,
You would 'push' the new tutorial to hugin-web
(http://hg.code.sf.net/p/hugin/hugin-web).
If you don't have write access you could put the tutorial on Dropbox and I
could push it to the repository for you.
I found the easiest approach is to clone the hugin-web repo, look at how
existing tutes are done, and use style from an existing tute to keep the
same look and feel.
Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Terry Duell

Donald Johnston

Aug 17, 2015, 1:20:20 PM8/17/15
to Hugin Pano
Thanks for the note Terry. I always like starting with a template but exactly how do I "clone the hugin-web repo”?
I looked at the “hg clone” command at the website you provided but I’m assuming I might have to be logged on to that server or something like that.
> --
> A list of frequently asked questions is available at: http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_FAQ

Terry Duell

Aug 17, 2015, 6:52:11 PM8/17/15
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Hello Donald,

On Tue, 18 Aug 2015 03:20:11 +1000, Donald Johnston
<dgjoh...@accesscomm.ca> wrote:

> Thanks for the note Terry. I always like starting with a template but
> exactly how do I "clone the hugin-web repo”?
> I looked at the “hg clone” command at the website you provided but I’m
> assuming I might have to be logged on to that server or something like
> that.

It looks as though one has to be a sourceforge user with password to clone
hugin_web repo, i.e.one would use...

hg clone ssh://job...@hg.code.sf.net/p/hugin/hugin_web

I think a project admin needs to set you up with access rights.
To help you get started, I will put a small tutorial, and some notes, on
Dropbox and send you the link.
If you don't get access you can pass your completed tutorial back to me
and I'll commit the code and push it to the repo for you.

Wolfgang Strobl

Aug 23, 2015, 3:49:48 AM8/23/15
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
"Terry Duell" <tdu...@iinet.net.au> wrote:

>Hello Donald,

Hi Terry & Donald,

>On Tue, 18 Aug 2015 03:20:11 +1000, Donald Johnston
><dgjoh...@accesscomm.ca> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the note Terry. I always like starting with a template but
>> exactly how do I "clone the hugin-web repo”?

See below.

>> I looked at the “hg clone” command at the website you provided but I’m
>> assuming I might have to be logged on to that server or something like
>> that.
>>

>It looks as though one has to be a sourceforge user with password to clone
>hugin_web repo, i.e.one would use...

Of course, if you are trying to go through ssh. But you haven't to.

When looking at
<http://sourceforge.net/p/hugin/hugin-web/ci/default/tree/>, you'll
notice that sf offers cloning through http,

hg clone http://hg.code.sf.net/p/hugin/hugin-web

works like a charm on the first try, on my little home server currently
based on OpenSuse 13.1.

So does TortoiseHg on Windows 8.1, utilizing THGs explorer extension
(i.e. right mouse click on a directory, TortoiseHg, Clone, then pasting

http://hg.code.sf.net/p/hugin/hugin-web into the field Source.

I heartily recommend TortoiseHg for Windows users, it is available frome
here:

<http://tortoisehg.bitbucket.org/download/index.html>

Not so sure about the Linux versions, but that's because I'm just using
the basic hg command interface, there.

Wolfgang Strobl

--
Wir danken für die Beachtung aller Sicherheitsbestimmungen

Terry Duell

Aug 23, 2015, 6:06:30 PM8/23/15
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, 23 Aug 2015 17:49:12 +1000, Wolfgang Strobl <ne...@mystrobl.de>
wrote:

[snip]

> Of course, if you are trying to go through ssh. But you haven't to.
>
> When looking at
> <http://sourceforge.net/p/hugin/hugin-web/ci/default/tree/>, you'll
> notice that sf offers cloning through http,
>
> hg clone http://hg.code.sf.net/p/hugin/hugin-web
>
> works like a charm on the first try, on my little home server currently
> based on OpenSuse 13.1.

I tried that here and and was refused, so assumed that ssh must be
necessary, although at odds with the way the other hugin related repos on
sourceforge behave.
I just tried again and it worked OK, so not sure what went wrong
previously.
Thanks for pointing this out.

Donald Johnston

Aug 25, 2015, 4:52:58 PM8/25/15
to Hugin Pano
Terry, Wolfgang … I’m assuming to run the command “hg clone” that I have to be shelled into SourceForge (Mercurial) or logged into it somehow from my Mac using Terminal?
> --
> A list of frequently asked questions is available at: http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_FAQ

Wolfgang Strobl

Aug 25, 2015, 5:51:00 PM8/25/15
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Donald Johnston <dgjoh...@accesscomm.ca>:

>Terry, Wolfgang … I’m assuming to run the command “hg clone” that I have to be shelled into SourceForge (Mercurial) or logged into it somehow from my Mac using Terminal?

No. You have to be shelled into your own machine, your Mac, that is.
Alas, I can't offer much of an assistance here, because I've never used
one.

On a more theoretical level, you'll have to

- be able to start a shell on your Mac
- have Mercurial installed
- know at least some basics of Mercurial.

https://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/Download gives some hints about plain
Mercurial for Mac OS X

https://www.sourcetreeapp.com/ is a Mercurial GUI I know nothing about.

hg clone http://hg.code.sf.net/p/hugin/hugin-web
just commands "clone the repository located at
http://hg.code.sf.net/p/hugin/hugin-web to a new folder hugin-web on
this machine, then update to the head of the branch default."

Just do it, then try to read a little bit about Mercurial, for example
starting here https://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/UnderstandingMercurial

Have a look at the repository url (i.e.
http://hg.code.sf.net/p/hugin/hugin-web ) using your browser in order
to know what to expect.

Donald Johnston

Aug 27, 2015, 9:59:10 PM8/27/15
to Hugin Pano
Thanks Wolfgang … I figured I’d need client code of some type. So I think I’ll rely on Terry’s offer to do the uploading for me when I get the tutorial done. I’ll have to get the EV bug looked into so folks can use it properly:
“that is:

> In the Preview panel of the “Fast Panorama preview” if I set the EV using the keyboard it doesn’t seem to apply. After running the Create Panorama the EV value gets set back to what it originally was.
> On Aug 25, 2015, at 3:50 PM, Wolfgang Strobl <ne...@mystrobl.de> wrote:

I’ll get this looked at and get back to you.
> --
> A list of frequently asked questions is available at: http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_FAQ
> ---

Donald Johnston

Sep 5, 2015, 11:40:21 AM9/5/15
to Hugin Pano
Terry, here is a dropbox link with the tutorial that I developed. If you think it’s acceptable can you push it to hugin-web for me.
if you have any suggestions to improve it first let me know.

Thanks for you help.
Don