Make a script to use Salado Player

Carlos Eduardo G. Carvalho (Cartola)

Apr 2, 2014, 10:03:01 AM4/2/14
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I want to make a script, ideally to be used in windows and linux, to auto generate a Salado Player and VR5 publication of a given erect image. I wonder if entile, from Panotools::Script or any other already done script/tool can generate the tiles needed to Salado Player. Does anybody knows? Bruno? :)

I was thinking about using imagemagic, but didn't understand SaladoConverter algorithm only by looking at the generated tiles. They have different sizes sometimes. I mean, at the same level images sometimes differ by 1 pixel.

For the VR5 the thing is simpler and the cube faces generated with erect2cube are ok, just need to resize maybe.

I want to make it easyer to use these free tools to put a panorama online for flash and iThing devices. First I will probably try a droplet, inspired by krpanotools, but maybe after I can try some GUI for those windows guys :)

Thanks,

Carlos E G Carvalho (Cartola)
--- Inscrições abertas para o curso de Fotografia Panorâmica Imersiva
--- Rio de Janeiro, 3 e 4 de maio de 2014
http://cartola.org/360
http://www.panoforum.com.br/

Bruno Postle

Apr 2, 2014, 3:04:10 PM4/2/14
to hugi...@googlegroups.com

On 2 Apr 2014 15:03, "Carlos Eduardo G. Carvalho (Cartola)" wrote:

> I want to make a script, ideally to be used in windows and linux, to auto generate a Salado Player and VR5 publication of a given erect image. I wonder if entile, from Panotools::Script or any other already done script/tool can generate the tiles needed to Salado Player. Does anybody knows? Bruno? :)

Sorry, I have no idea. The entile tool splits an image up into multiresolution tiles; but I have no idea if salado does multiresolution panoramas, or uses the google maps naming scheme output by entile.

--
Bruno

bran...@yahoo.com

Apr 3, 2014, 7:29:51 AM4/3/14
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Hi there Cartola,

I use Salado Player a lot and no, near as I can tell no one has made a script that outputs exactly the same file structure as the Salado Player other than the Salado Converter. Their wika page is currently down so I am not able to find their source documents for you. Using the converter to make the cubes some times takes a long time. That caused me to make a GUI script for windows to make the cubes faces with the correct names in hugin. Then I could feed the output into the converter to make the deepzoom. That second part is much faster on the Salado Converter than making the actual cubes.

If you want to understand the how of some of the stuff, they used to have a few programers that are pretty on the ball if a person posted on their forums.(now days I am not sure if the site will still even be up next month, but it would still be worth a try.)

When I was having issues I did study it enough to learn that their Deepzoom is base on OpenZoom.
http://www.openzoom.org/

I also came across a php script that will tile one face the same way as a single face in the deepzoom. You would have to run it 6 times, but it should do the trick. The site that hosted it no longer exists. If you would like I can zip it up and Email it to you. It may help you in figuring it out how to do it in another language. Though looking at openzoom.org, if any of the links still work there may be a few more examples out there.

I wish you luck and if you need any particular feed back or help drop me a line. I would be interested in keeping up with your project.

Brandan

Carlos Eduardo G. Carvalho (Cartola)

Apr 3, 2014, 9:51:50 AM4/3/14
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Brandan!

I will probably try to do this until may 3rd, cause I am going to give a workshop to photographers that might need it. Usually there is always people with less computer skills in those workshops.

I am interested in your php script, surely. I also program in php, so I'll be at home. I was thinking about doing this script in Perl or maybe Tcl, as they are easily found and sometimes already installed in unix environments and I also have portable versions of them which I could put in a big zip for windows people. Any suggestions are welcome as I didn't start yet. Python? Have programmed once with it and not sure about portability and possible graphical interfaces, which I know tcl has.

I think I have exchanged email with the salado player author, but I'll need to search for it in my mail boxes. I'll surely try to see if the site comes up again.

Any progress I can post here.

Thanks,

Carlos E G Carvalho (Cartola)
--- Inscrições abertas para o curso de Fotografia Panorâmica Imersiva
--- Rio de Janeiro, 3 e 4 de maio de 2014
http://cartola.org/360
http://www.panoforum.com.br/

--
A list of frequently asked questions is available at: http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_FAQ

Greg 'groggy' Lehey

Apr 3, 2014, 7:46:04 PM4/3/14
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
On Wednesday, 2 April 2014 at 11:03:01 -0300, Carlos Eduardo G. Carvalho (Cartola) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to make a script, ideally to be used in windows and linux, to
> auto generate a Salado Player and VR5 publication of a given erect
> image. I wonder if entile, from Panotools::Script or any other
> already done script/tool can generate the tiles needed to Salado
> Player. Does anybody knows? Bruno? :)

It's not clear why you should want to reinvent the wheel, since
SaladoConverter does the job.

> I want to make it easyer to use these free tools to put a panorama
> online for flash and iThing devices.

Now that I can understand. That's why I wrote my "mksalad" script,
which prepares pages and invokes SaladoConverter to actually do the
conversion. It does all the remaining work needed to create the web
pages and directory structure. You can find it at
http://www.lemis.com/grog/src/mksalad

It's clearly very dependent on my setup, where I have a directory
based on the date of the photos. One set of results is at
http://www.lemis.com/grog/Photos/20130219/Pano/
Let me know if you find it interesting enough to need explanations.

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.
Finger gr...@FreeBSD.org for PGP public key.

Brandan

Apr 4, 2014, 6:31:57 AM4/4/14
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Greg

I like what you are doing with mksalad, I may adapt something like it to prep my pictures and upload them.

On Thursday, April 3, 2014 6:51:50 AM UTC-7, Cartola wrote:
Thank you Brandan!

I will probably try to do this until may 3rd, cause I am going to give a workshop to photographers that might need it. Usually there is always people with less computer skills in those workshops.
What exactly are you trying to do for them? Are you hosting the finished product or is each person hosting their own? Are you planning on building something to create the xml files or full tours for salando player?

I am interested in your php script, surely. I also program in php, so I'll be at home. I was thinking about doing this script in Perl or maybe Tcl, as they are easily found and sometimes already installed in unix environments and I also have portable versions of them which I could put in a big zip for windows people. Any suggestions are welcome as I didn't start yet. Python? Have programmed once with it and not sure about portability and possible graphical interfaces, which I know tcl has.
I did not create the php script, but would be happy to share it and I just emailed it to you. What are you wanting the droplet to do? Just make the deepzooms, make single page tours or complete tours with several panos?

The new forum is still up.  http://openpano.org/ It is just the old stuff including all of the help files that are down.

When you say vr5 are you referring to http://www.vrhabitat.com/? I have not messed with it before. What are the advantages of it over Salando?

Carlos Eduardo G. Carvalho (Cartola)

Apr 6, 2014, 10:59:05 AM4/6/14
to hugi...@googlegroups.com

It's not clear why you should want to reinvent the wheel, since
SaladoConverter does the job.

Hi Greg, I want to avoid the conversion step, so in only one step, dragging the erect image, the user receives the final published panorama. Besides that I have already had bad experiences with the java converter. Sometimes you need to increase the heap size, for example. I also think that a "portable" version, with all dependencies together, could simplify, although it is not easy to find a machine without java nowadays.

I'll take a look at your script, tks!

Brandan

Apr 15, 2014, 2:28:46 AM4/15/14
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Carlos,

How has this been going? Have you figured out what you needed to know?

Brandan
--
A list of frequently asked questions is available at: http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_FAQ

Brandan

Apr 15, 2014, 2:43:23 AM4/15/14
to hugi...@googlegroups.com

On Wednesday, April 2, 2014 7:03:01 AM UTC-7, Cartola wrote:
I was thinking about using imagemagic, but didn't understand SaladoConverter algorithm only by looking at the generated tiles. They have different sizes sometimes. I mean, at the same level images sometimes differ by 1 pixel.

I figured out why the 1 pixel change. By default the converter adds 1 pixel overlap. A person would have to study it more to fully understand it, but there is a pattern to the different sizes. When I set it to 0 then all of the tiles are the same size.(If you did your math correctly and have no odd sized ones) I just tested such a pano once it had been deepzoomed with the overlap set at 0 and it looks fine to my eye.

Carlos Eduardo G. Carvalho (Cartola)

Apr 15, 2014, 8:39:09 AM4/15/14
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Brandan,

I still didn't continue that idea. Thank you for this tips, they surely will be usefull. Maybe I will have time for this next weekend. I want to try to finish this in April.

Cheers,

Carlos E G Carvalho (Cartola)
--- Inscrições abertas para o curso de Fotografia Panorâmica Imersiva
--- Rio de Janeiro, 3 e 4 de maio de 2014
http://cartola.org/360
http://www.panoforum.com.br/

--
A list of frequently asked questions is available at: http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_FAQ

Carlos Eduardo G. Carvalho (Cartola)

Apr 15, 2014, 8:54:44 PM4/15/14
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

for those interested, I have found source files of SaladoConverter (and also SaladoPlayer) at github:

https://github.com/mstandio/SaladoConverter/

and the source that probably will explain how to make the tiles is here https://github.com/mstandio/SaladoConverter/tree/master/DeepZoomTiler/src/deepzoomtiler

For Salado Player:

https://github.com/mstandio/SaladoPlayer

And both will probably be interesting for anyone who wants those softwares as there is a long time that panozona.com is out and as you will also find binaries there. Just download at the "Download ZIP" button at the main page at the right side down.

Bests,

Carlos E G Carvalho (Cartola)
--- Inscrições abertas para o curso de Fotografia Panorâmica Imersiva
--- Rio de Janeiro, 3 e 4 de maio de 2014
http://cartola.org/360
http://www.panoforum.com.br/

Franck Barbenoire

Apr 17, 2014, 3:41:58 PM4/17/14
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I wrote a Django application for configuring and publishing virtual tour.
It uses Salado Player in the background

https://pypi.python.org/pypi/django-saladoplayer/
https://github.com/franckinux/django-saladoplayer

Cheers,
Franck

Carlos Eduardo G. Carvalho (Cartola)

Apr 17, 2014, 11:22:41 PM4/17/14
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Great! Thanks Franck!

Have you considered to make it compatible with iThings? You could use VR5 - http://www.vrhabitat.com/#vr5

Cheers,

Carlos E G Carvalho (Cartola)
--- Inscrições abertas para o curso de Fotografia Panorâmica Imersiva
--- Rio de Janeiro, 3 e 4 de maio de 2014
http://cartola.org/360
http://www.panoforum.com.br/

--
A list of frequently asked questions is available at: http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_FAQ