autopano.exe return errors when run with huggin.

Brandon

Sep 7, 2014, 3:39:47 AM9/7/14
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
I have a fun little bug to run down.

Between me and a friend we have two windows 7 computers with hugin installed. I have been using autopano for a while and I really like autopanos speed(yes cpfind is needed when it messes up but that is not often). On my desktop I just put them in the bin folder and then tried using them from hugin and they work as expected with no extra worries.(both 2012 and 2013 versions of hugin)

On my friends laptop computer with windows 7 I put the exact same file in the bin folder of both the 2012 and 2013 version and have tried them both. In both cases I get an error popup along the lines of

autopano Could not execute command:

Then the error message continues by filling in this line with stuff. /allinone /path:%d /keys:%p /project:oto /name:%o /size:1024 /f %i

I have checked the settings for both control point detectors and it is the same on both computers.

I have tried to reproduce this error in my computer and I am not able to by removing the file or messing up the command line stuff in the control point detector options.

Using google I have found the place in the source code that makes the call.

search this page http://sourceforge.net/p/hugin/mailman/message/19937994/ for the phrase
// This doesn't work properly - GWP

It shows up 4 times. Near as I can tell 4 lines below the first two times it shows up I can find where that particular error message is be displayed by hugin. I am not too good with C++, near as I can tell that error should only pop up if there are too many pictures and probably not even then.
I have tried running autopano on my friends computer with just 2 pictures and as many as 20, both get the same error. I have not tried it with over 127. (on mine it works no matter how many I have tested)

Any thoughts? Would this be a bug of some kind or did I somehow mess up installing it? Any thoughts on a work around or a fix?

Thanks,
Brandon

David W. Jones

Sep 7, 2014, 4:03:55 AM9/7/14
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Hmm .. different anti-virus settings on the problem machine that
interfere with running autopano?

I haven't used autopano as a CP tool for ages, and don't run Windows,
so, sorry, have no other ideas.

--
David W. Jones
gnome...@gmail.com

Brandon

Sep 7, 2014, 12:12:33 PM9/7/14
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
On Sunday, September 7, 2014 1:03:55 AM UTC-7, GnomeNomad wrote:
Hmm .. different anti-virus settings on the problem machine that
interfere with running autopano?

I haven't used autopano as a CP tool for ages, and don't run Windows,
so, sorry, have no other ideas.

I did consider the antivirus. Both computers have the same antivirus program with the default settings, in this case avast. In my experience when avast has a problem with a file that I want to run it will pop a warning telling me so. When I tried it on the laptop there were no antivirus warnings.

That said the next time I get a shot at that computer I will run autopano from the command line and double check it works as expected.

What do you use for a CP finder?

Luís Henrique Camargo Quiroz

Sep 7, 2014, 6:14:38 PM9/7/14
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Brandon,

You told your friend has two Hugin versions... so, who knows, perhaps there is some mess if the PATH variable calls the binaries from the "wrong" version instead of from the actual, desired directory? I don't recall if windows prefers the binary from the current directory or from the PATH. Just an idea.

Good luck!

Luís Henrique

--
A list of frequently asked questions is available at: http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_FAQ

Luis Henrique Camargo Quiroz
http://luishcq.br.tripod.com - http://www.christusrex.org/www2/cantgreg

Henk Tijdink

Sep 8, 2014, 7:59:54 AM9/8/14
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
I don't know which autopano.exe you use.
If it is autopano.exe 1.03 of Alexandre Jenny then it doesn't work in Windows 7. Even not in compatibility mode. It is only a 32 bits program. Even on WIN 7 32 bit it doesn't work.That is known, but sometime people forget it. If it is autopano.exe in Autopano SIFT-C for the 2 way controlpoint generation in combination with generate key.exe (multirow/stacking) that should work.

Kind regards,
Henk Tijdink

Carlos Eduardo G. Carvalho (Cartola)

Sep 8, 2014, 8:29:44 AM9/8/14
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Try also to check that all paths for all images don't have strange characters in your friends machine, like spaces, accent characters or punctuation.

Good luck.

--
A list of frequently asked questions is available at: http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_FAQ

Henk Tijdink

Sep 8, 2014, 8:54:59 AM9/8/14
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Correction, I'm only sure that autopano of Alexandre Jenny doesn't work on a 64 bits system. 0n 32 bits windows 7 I didn't test.

Brandon

Sep 8, 2014, 12:35:54 PM9/8/14
to hugi...@googlegroups.com

I am using autopano.exe 1.03 http://autopano.kolor.com/ on a 64 bit system and it is working great on my desktop(takes about 1/4 the time and gets three times as many control points at CPfind, plus last night I was learning the command line options on it and it allows for an amazing amount of control over how it finds points and how long it takes to do a search). Since there is a question on if it will work on all 64 bit systems I will make sure I give it a test with the command line on my friends computer next chance that I get.

On Monday, September 8, 2014 5:29:44 AM UTC-7, Cartola wrote:
Try also to check that all paths for all images don't have strange characters in your friends machine, like spaces, accent characters or punctuation.

I have checked for fancy characters in the paths for the pictures and hugin and there are none.(that has been a problem sometimes in the past, I think I have learned my lesson on that point finally)

You told your friend has two Hugin versions... so, who knows, perhaps there is some mess if the PATH variable calls the binaries from the "wrong" version instead of from the actual, desired directory? I don't recall if windows prefers the binary from the current directory or from the PATH. Just an idea.

That is something that I could do a little more testing on. Where I have been trying to recreate the error message on my desktop(where autopano will work from hugin) I have not been able to get that error message by messing up the paths. As far as I can remember I only have the one version of autopano all be it in two locations, one in each hugin bin. On my friends laptop I did go to preferences and set the full path to autopano and it did not change the error. When I set the full path to a place where autopano was lot located it gave me a different error message.

David W. Jones

Sep 9, 2014, 3:56:25 AM9/9/14
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Hugin's builtin CPfind.