Cube to equirectangular

Brandon

Aug 20, 2014, 6:08:51 PM8/20/14
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
In my work flow I take an equirectangular, make it into a cube to edit the floor and sometimes the sky then use it as is in a Virtural tour. I now have a project where I to put the cubes back into an equirectangular image.

I know that
Bruno Postle has cubic2erect, which sounds like it does what I want. I have never gotten along with pearl though so I am not able to use it as it. Instead I have done the same thing near as I can tell in hugin. I loaded my 6 images, set them at the correct locations and then checked the preview, it looks amazing. I think perfect this is simple. Then I go to stitch it and then I see, it is not so simple as it messes up.

I have stiched a few times, it always claims to have worked. The results are always a bit wonky though. The pictures it warps to make the final pano look good. If I wanted to I could put them together with photoshop or the like. When enblend gets the images it messes them up. Where they come together it tries to blend them and it makes a mess. It seems like there should be a command line option that I could give enblend to not do that. Or maybe I am doing it all wrong and there is another better approach.

Bruno's script is here http://cpansearch.perl.org/src/BPOSTLE/Panotools-Script-0.28/bin/cubic2erect
I have attached my project file and two example images showing the problem. The only diffence between them is that one is 100 pixels wider which made for a very different blend line.
LWliving_b-LWliving_u.jpg
LWliving_b-LWliving_u.pto
2.jpg

Carlos Eduardo G. Carvalho (Cartola)

Aug 20, 2014, 6:50:14 PM8/20/14
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Brandon,

if you use multiblend instead of enblend with hugin it will work perfetcly. At least I have done it in the past.

On the other hand we could help you installing perl and the Bruno's cpan module. What platform do you use? Win? Mac? Linux?

Bests,

--
A list of frequently asked questions is available at: http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_FAQ

Bruno Postle

Aug 21, 2014, 7:02:57 PM8/21/14
to hugi...@googlegroups.com

On 20 August 2014 23:08:51 BST, Brandon wrote:
>In my work flow I take an equirectangular, make it into a cube to edit
>the
>floor and sometimes the sky then use it as is in a Virtural tour. I now
>
>have a project where I to put the cubes back into an equirectangular
>image.

You don't need enblend to assemble cubefaces (though I'm sure this used to work ok).

So long as you are happy using the command-line, nona will stitch a Hugin .pto project in one go without blending seams:

nona -m TIFF -o output project.pto
--
Bruno

Carlos Eduardo G. Carvalho (Cartola)

Aug 21, 2014, 7:56:55 PM8/21/14
to hugi...@googlegroups.com

So long as you are happy using the command-line, nona will stitch a Hugin .pto project in one go without blending seams:

  nona -m TIFF -o output project.pto

Hmmm, nice to know that! I thought it would generate the individual remapped images.

I see only now that when not using '-m' the default into the pto file is TIFF_m (multiple tiff).

Tks,

Brandan

Aug 21, 2014, 10:30:16 PM8/21/14
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Bruno,

That solves my problem. Now I make a batch file and it will just happen :)

Brandon