Aligning photos of the same scene with a moving body of water

jan t

Dec 1, 2016, 5:38:45 AM12/1/16
Hello everyone,

i'm trying to align and cut photos of the same area and scene taken from a drone (DJI Phantom 3).

The problem is that the pictures are of a dockyard and there is a moving body of water with lots of visible different shades in the water due to sediment transport. The problem are the capture points I guess. When I try to align a series of photos the results are ok if there are solid structures on all edges of the photographs. The problems arise when for example the top half of the photo consists only of the moving water. Then the results are very bad with the capture points all over the water body.

What can I do about this? Most of the time I tried the Hugin's CPFind + Celester detector and tried to play with masks but that doesnt work very good. The aim is to produce pictures that can be processed with a particle tracking program. For this program the photo series have to be aligned and cut to the same frame.

I attached an example of a typical photo.

Thank you in advance for any ideas, any help is very appreciated.

DJI_0217.JPG

Carlos Eduardo G. Carvalho (Cartola)

Dec 1, 2016, 8:30:25 AM12/1/16
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
You can remove the Control Points (CP) found at the water. You can easily do that visually at the fast preview window using the "Edit CP" button at the preview tab (second tab). After activating this button you can drag rectangles over the image to create new CPs or remove them.

Bests,

--
A list of frequently asked questions is available at: http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_FAQ

bugbear

Dec 1, 2016, 8:34:02 AM12/1/16
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Carlos Eduardo G. Carvalho (Cartola) wrote:
> You can remove the Control Points (CP) found at the water. You can easily do that visually at the fast preview window using the "Edit CP" button at the preview tab (second tab). After activating this button you can drag rectangles over the image to create new CPs or remove them.

You could also mask, and then use "remove control points in masks"

BugBear

Carlos Eduardo G. Carvalho (Cartola)

Dec 1, 2016, 8:40:23 AM12/1/16
to hugi...@googlegroups.com

You could also mask, and then use "remove control points in masks"

Sure, I find this option even faster, but as he said he "tried to play with masks but that doesnt work very good"...

Just in case, the option to "remove control points in masks" is at the Edit menu at the main window (Panorama Stitcher) using Advanced or Expert Interface.

Frederic Da Vitoria

Dec 1, 2016, 9:02:20 AM12/1/16
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
<cart...@gmail.com>:

>> You could also mask, and then use "remove control points in masks"
>

> Sure, I find this option even faster, but as he said he "tried to play with
> masks but that doesnt work very good"...
>
> Just in case, the option to "remove control points in masks" is at the Edit
> menu at the main window (Panorama Stitcher) using Advanced or Expert
> Interface.

In some situations, removing all control points from a pair of photos
and adding points manually could be even faster.

--
Frederic Da Vitoria
(davitof)

http://www.april.org

jan t

Dec 2, 2016, 3:19:45 PM12/2/16
Thank you that really helped. I didn't know i could manipulate all capture points in one picture. Thanks again. :)