Other multi-image techniques?

paul womack

Jun 28, 2016, 4:32:11 AM6/28/16
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Whilst Hugin is typically used for panoramas, it can also
be used for HDR via Enfuse.

Does anyone else on the list dabble in other techniques
the involved the manipulation of multiple images?

Once I started listing them, I realised how many there are:

* Panorama
* HDR (exposure stacking)
* Extended DOF (focus stacking)
* Noise reduction (averaging)
* Super Resolution (sub pixel offset stacking)
* Tourist Removal (Median, or manual multi masking)
* exposure adding (photo gathering for astrophotography)
* video post stablisation (inter frame registration)

So - anyone doing anything other than the first two?

(and did I miss any?)

BugBear

Frederic Da Vitoria

Jun 28, 2016, 5:37:00 AM6/28/16
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Hello

I often do "Tourist Removal" (manual technique), sometimes noise reduction.

I also do mosaics, which are IMO a special category because they are
pretty different from panoramas in the way pictures should be taken as
well as in the way they are assembled. Often while doing mosaics, I
remove annoying elements which are in a different plane from my
subject.

I can see another technique, which is completely outside of what Hugin
is made for: 3D modeling
https://www.sculpteo.com/blog/2016/01/20/turning-a-picture-into-a-3d-model/
, but this still fits in your original question: "manipulation of
multiple images".

--
Frederic Da Vitoria
(davitof)

http://www.april.org

Jeff

Jan 13, 2017, 3:53:50 PM1/13/17
I've used Hugin to make multiple exposure composites (kind of like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_exposure#/media/File:Lunar-eclipse-2004.jpg) but where the camera was hand-held and I was capturing somebody doing some action. The two I can think of are of someone jumping over a stream and another of someone using a rope swing to jump in a river. I'd use hugin to align the pictures, output as multiple layers, then use GIMP to selectively erase from each layer the background (except the base layer), then flatten. Works well!

-Jeff

T. Modes

Jan 14, 2017, 3:24:41 AM1/14/17
Hi Jeff,

No need to use GIMP afterward for this. The whole process can be done in Hugin. Cristian Marchi posted a tutorial some time ago: https://www.flickr.com/groups/hugin/discuss/72157623472700076/

@bugbear
> * Noise reduction (averaging)
For noise reduction there is also the usage of zero-noise technique possible (can also be done with Hugin).

Thomas

Abrimaal

Jan 14, 2017, 12:04:27 PM1/14/17
It is possible to create an image like this without blending the moving object with the background. Draw a mask around the object on the 1st photo, copy the mask to all other photos, then delete the mask from the 1st. The same for all images. At the end check if the masks don't overlap.

T. Modes

Jan 14, 2017, 1:12:33 PM1/14/17
Hi Abrimaal

Am Samstag, 14. Januar 2017 18:04:27 UTC+1 schrieb Abrimaal:
It is possible to create an image like this without blending the moving object with the background. Draw a mask around the object on the 1st photo, copy the mask to all other photos, then delete the mask from the 1st. The same for all images.

Have you read the tutorial? I don't think so. There is no need to copy the masks. Simply set to mask type to include.