Reverse panoramic - emulating a fancy motorized star-tracking camera rig

Benjamin Hill

Dec 20, 2014, 4:11:39 PM12/20/14
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
It feels like this should be possible, but I don't know if the math actually works out!
Anyone interested in collaborating?
  1. Take a lot of photos of the night sky with a fish eye camera.  (Don't feel bad if they are a noisy mess because your old GoPro has horrible low-light sensitivity.)
  2. Track the brightest 10 stars using some very naive code (that I wrote) which dumps out 100k worth of alignment points in PTO format
  3. Run autooptimiser on it and go get a coffee.
  4. Run nona on the pano (more coffee)
  5. Now you have a stack of 100 photos, all perfectly (?) rotated and un-distorted that you can sum or do a median filter on, and
  6. Get a single beautiful picture of the night sky rivaling those people with a huge lens and a motorized camera mount.
I got public code that works, and I think it does better than any other method I've seen - and doesn't require perfect knowledge of your camera's fisheye distortion.  Anyone want to collaborate and help make it less naive?

Gnome Nomad

Dec 20, 2014, 7:10:06 PM12/20/14
to hugin-ptx

Impressive! I'm not that much into astronomy shooting, but a friend of mine is, will forward it on to him.

--
A list of frequently asked questions is available at: http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_FAQ

Matthew Petroff

Dec 20, 2014, 11:17:40 PM12/20/14
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Another way to align the images is to use the Astrometry.net software that will solve for the pointing of each image on the celestial sphere [1]. There's also a paper that uses pointings from said software to combine a large number of astronomy images to extract details that aren't visible in the source images [2].

-Matthew

[1] http://astrometry.net/
[2] http://arxiv.org/pdf/1406.1528v1