Multi row product panoramas

Phillip Allen-Baines

Sep 20, 2016, 2:53:52 PM9/20/16
I assume this is like a spherical 360 but viewed from the outside of the sphere. Can anyone tell me how to make these? Is it possible with Hugin? or is there some software that I can be guided to? I guess my searchterms are poor because I cant find anything opensource.

Thanks in advance Ladies and Gentlemen
:-)

Sean Greenslade

Sep 20, 2016, 3:08:52 PM9/20/16
to hugi...@googlegroups.com, Phillip Allen-Baines
Can you be more specific? Perhaps provide an example of what you are trying to do.

In general, there are two types of panoramas: spherical and mosaic. If all the photos are taken from the same point in space, it is spherical. If the camera moves (e.g. with aerial photography), it is mosaic.

Now, you don't need to do a full sphere for it to be a spherical pano. Doing a single row of photos is a partial sphere.

Multi-row (or multi-column) partial spheres are quite possible in Hugin with the same techniques as full spheres.

--Sean

Sean Greenslade

Sep 20, 2016, 4:06:30 PM9/20/16
to Phillip Allen-Baines, hugi...@googlegroups.com
> > Can you be more specific? Perhaps provide an example of what you are
> > trying to do.
> >
> > In general, there are two types of panoramas: spherical and mosaic. If all
> > the photos are taken from the same point in space, it is spherical. If the
> > camera moves (e.g. with aerial photography), it is mosaic.
> >
> > Now, you don't need to do a full sphere for it to be a spherical pano.
> > Doing a single row of photos is a partial sphere.
> >
> > Multi-row (or multi-column) partial spheres are quite possible in Hugin
> > with the same techniques as full spheres.
>
> Hi Sean
>
> Thank you very much for your answer, I appreciate you spending time to help
> me as a complete stranger. It looks like somehow I did not post my full
> question. I would like to learn how to do full spherical 360's of products.
>
> By this I mean placing an object on a turntable and taking photographs as
> it rotates. I currently have a Chinese system and it is in Chinese but also
> does not support multi-row stitching.
>
> Multi-row stitching should enable me to create a 3d kind of effect so a
> viewer can see the object in 360 x 360 however does not require CAD. Can I
> make this in Hugin? or do you know some open source program I can do this
> with?
>
> Again, thanks in advance to all and everyone.

Please make sure to reply-all to keep the mailing list in the loop, and
also try to put your replies below the quoted text.

Turntables are completely different from panoramas. The way they work is
by switching between separate, descrete images like a video does. You
cannot "stitch" these images because there is nothing to stitch; they
are each of a different perspective.

Panorama stitching is basically the act of simulating having a wider
lens (or in the case of mosaics, a larger flatbed scanner). A turntable
360, on the other hand, simulates flying a camera around an object.

There is a technique called slit-scan that may be causing some
confusion, as it technically is a form of panorama, however I do not
think it is what you want:

http://petapixel.com/assets/uploads/2016/03/slitscanhead.jpg

In short, you can't stitch turntable flyarounds. You just need a viewer
that can play your normal images in sequence.

--Sean

Carl von Einem

Sep 20, 2016, 4:19:55 PM9/20/16
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Phillip Allen-Baines wrote on 20.09.16 20:51:
> I assume this is like a spherical 360 but viewed from the outside of the
> sphere. Can anyone tell me how to make these? Is it possible with Hugin?
> or is there some software that I can be guided to? I guess my
> searchterms are poor because I cant find anything opensource.

That's Object VR, and it's not a panorama, more like a movie... i.e.
you'll need a larger number of photos of your object while it turns. 36
images per row is a good starting point.

http://wiki.panotools.org/Object_Movie

I'd recommend a tool like https://ggnome.com/object2vr

Carl

Phillip Allen-Baines

Sep 20, 2016, 5:09:31 PM9/20/16
to Sean Greenslade, hugi...@googlegroups.com
Fantastic, thankyou.

Ok I am not sure how to put my replies below the quoted text. But trying.

Is there a program that I can use to assemble multi row 360 views.

I have a program that does single row 360's (fly arounds) as well as the automated hardware that comes as an automated product photography package and I sell the imagery commercially.

As such I apologise for any incorrect terms however my focus is not verbage it is simply to find a program that can assemble a presentation of a multi row 360 that, when it (the program) pumps out an HTML5 or flash image, enables the viewer to see 360 x 360.

That to me means all the way around on more than one plane, like a spherical panorama but viewed from the outside of the sphere.

Take for example a shoe. I want to be able to look all the way around that shoe along its horizontal plane as well as its vertical plane so I can see the top and bottom as if I am holding it in my hand. UX stuff you know. Its all about UX in online sales.

Thanks again to all that can help.

Sean Greenslade

Sep 20, 2016, 5:34:32 PM9/20/16
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 06:09:25PM -0300, Phillip Allen-Baines wrote:
> Fantastic, thankyou.
>
> Ok I am not sure how to put my replies below the quoted text. But trying.

This is just standard mailing list etiquette. You should generally also
trim your reply quotes to only what is necessary to glean context from.
See how I formatted this reply as an example.

> Is there a program that I can use to assemble multi row 360 views.
>
> I have a program that does single row 360's (fly arounds) as well as the
> automated hardware that comes as an automated product photography package
> and I sell the imagery commercially.

See Carl's reply for one such program. I have never used it myself, but
it appears to be what you want.

> As such I apologise for any incorrect terms however my focus is not verbage
> it is simply to find a program that can assemble a presentation of a multi
> row 360 that, when it (the program) pumps out an HTML5 or flash image,
> enables the viewer to see 360 x 360.

If you want good answers, then effective communication is critical.
Especially since nearly all the members of this list are volunteers. If
people can't understand what you're asking, they are less likely to
respond.

> That to me means all the way around on more than one plane, like a
> spherical panorama but *viewed from the outside* of the sphere.
>
> Take for example a shoe. I want to be able to look all the way around that
> shoe along its horizontal plane as well as its vertical plane so I can see
> the top and bottom as if I am holding it in my hand. UX stuff you know. Its
> all about UX in online sales.

I can definitely understand why you might think to use the term like
that, however in the world of panoramic photography (which turntable
imagery is not really a part of), spherical images have a very specific
meaning that is different from what you are looking for.

In general, if you're unsure of how to describe what you want, it's
better to provide a concrete example. Give a link to a webpage that has
one of these object viewers on it. That way, it's not confusing and you
needn't worry about improper terminology.

--Sean

dgjohnston

Sep 21, 2016, 12:17:20 AM9/21/16
to hugi...@googlegroups.com, Sean Greenslade
You might also want to look into “3D rendering” or “3D modelling” from photos. Try a google search like "3d rendering from photos”.
I also can't find out how to do the post-replies. But I keep searching.

Don Johnston
Sent from my 029 Keypunch.

--
A list of frequently asked questions is available at: http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_FAQ

Phillip Allen-Baines

Sep 21, 2016, 8:58:37 AM9/21/16
Ok, to everyone, thank so much

Sean, you have been awesome at helping me with my email etiquette, thanks.
Zarl, I am looking into that pano2vr its all good, I guess what comes up in google all depends on their key words matching ones search terms. glad you showed me that.
Donald, Thanks also, the term you are looking for is photogrammetry which is the process of creating a 3d model from photographs just like google does for earth view. at the moment that is a little over my head, Im waiting till I can hire a younger brighter mind who already has CAD experience till I jump in that deep end but thanks all the same.

I really appreciate all of your responses. Take care team.

Phillip Allen-Baines

Sep 21, 2016, 7:53:47 PM9/21/16
Hi again team

Just thought Id say that if anyone out there was interested in the same thing I also found this tool and like all good software producers it has a sweet free trial version and the licence is the cheapest one I have found

Just let me know if this is the wrong place for this discussion and I will mooooooove

Peace out