How to stitch windows better(7 comparision panos)?

bran...@yahoo.com

Jul 8, 2015, 1:41:08 AM7/8/15
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
I have been having problems with windows for a while. I have gotten a lot better, but I am still not at pro level. Recently a guy uploaded his raw cannon files to https://www.facebook.com/groups/panoramicphotographers/ and people to did their best with them and they got some pretty good results.

I am trying to figure out how to do the same with hugin and I am coming up short with regard to the windows, mine get blown out. Yet almost all of the others who have done it have good or great windows. So it can be done. Any thoughts on the how other than masking in the dark copy?

The source files are 4 stacks of 3 images in each stack, with one stack having 6 (364 Mb) http://www.360imagery.co.uk/temp/pano_test_set.zip

Different results that people have gotten:
http://www.360precision.com/stuart_test_v2/index.html
http://mateuszmalinowski.pl/StTh/001/001.html
http://reznik.lt/2015.07.06_from_stuart_thorp/
http://www.360precision.com/stuart_test_v2/index.html
http://www.pano.ie/customer/stuart/
http://www.360imagery.co.uk/temp/my_360/
http://www.360precision.com/stuart_test/index.html

What I get. Any thoughts on how to improve this? I can mask in the dark copy for some of the windows, but some of the others do not have clean edges. Any other thoughts on what I could try?

Carlos Eduardo G. Carvalho (Cartola)

Jul 8, 2015, 9:13:56 AM7/8/15
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
I think many of them might be doing what I do myself. I do image treatment outside Hugin and don't use stacks in hugin. I usually do image treatment with Rawtherapee and combine stacks with enfuse, the same tool Hugin uses for that. I just think I have much more control over the final result using a complete image treatment tool. All the examples I've seen have some kind of Tone Mapping and Hugin simply doesn't do that. I don't know if Autopano or PTGui do that, I've never seen this feature on them (I don't use them, just have tested them a few times).

I will try to do the job using only opensource tools, including the publication. For those interested, here is the link directly to the post: https://www.facebook.com/groups/panoramicphotographers/search/?query=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.360imagery.co.uk%2Ftemp%2Fpano_test_set.zip

Bests,

--
A list of frequently asked questions is available at: http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_FAQ

bran...@yahoo.com

Jul 8, 2015, 11:54:47 AM7/8/15
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
On Wednesday, July 8, 2015 at 6:13:56 AM UTC-7, Cartola wrote:
All the examples I've seen have some kind of Tone Mapping and Hugin simply doesn't do that.

Any good tutorials on tone mapping? If that is what it takes it sounds like something that I should learn about.

And here is the picture of my first try. I used the default on hugin with enblend and the program that came with my cannon camera to convert the images. I went with the defaults on both and mine are no where close to theirs in quality.

T. Modes

Jul 9, 2015, 11:40:56 AM7/9/15
to hugi...@googlegroups.com

I don't think that tone-mapping is required for this project.

With 2015.0 and the assistant I got a better result:
1.) Load images, the stacks are detected and I selected link position
2.) Change projection to fisheye circular and apply a crop region to get rid of the black border (This is only needed one time - you need to stitch such a project. When loading the next image set this is done automatically)
3.) Run assistant
4.) Select output: exposure fusion from stacks, using enblend+enfuse, maybe masking the tripod legs
5.) Stitch now.

The window area looks nearly like in the darkest images, but without the halos as in the tone-mapped examples.

When you want to improve these areas you need a darker variant of the images where the window areas are better exposed.
Variant a) shooting a wider bracketing
variant b) fine-tune the raw-conversion (e.g. select better suited parameters for the darkest images to get better looking window areas)

Carlos Eduardo G. Carvalho (Cartola)

Jul 9, 2015, 1:02:44 PM7/9/15
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Well, anyway, here is my result using Rawtherapee to pre-process images, then stitched only one stack inside Hugin

http://panoramas.panoforum.com.br/20150708-Teste_Facebook/

Bests,

--
A list of frequently asked questions is available at: http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_FAQ